deep playa light art

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Locked
joshi
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:09 am

deep playa light art

Post by joshi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:58 pm

Hello all.. . I'm back in my default-world home and surveying all the mess from my pre-playa preparations... and I know the post-BM discussions are going to start coming on eplaya pretty fast and furious, so I thought I'd start one already...

Probably my favorite piece this year was something that I found on the deep playa, past the temple, on the 10:00 side of things. It was a little house-like thing with windows facing two directions, and altars on either side. This house was surrounded by five (?) pillars, each topped with super-pro theatrical lighting equipment, which was sequenced on computer to a nine-track ambient music accompaniment.

Does anyone know what piece this was? I can't figure it out from the whatwherewhen. It totally blew my mind. I don't know how many people saw it, since it only ran from sometime late Friday night (midnight, maybe?) through dawn on Sunday morning. But it was thoroughly incredible and I feel blessed for having been able to be there for it....

joshi
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:09 am

Post by joshi » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:37 am

.. umm... make that the 2:00 side of the playa...

joshi

theta444
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:05 pm
Location: nomadic
Contact:

Re: deep playa light art

Post by theta444 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:28 pm

joshi wrote:Probably my favorite piece this year was something that I found on the deep playa, past the temple, on the 10:00 side of things. It was a little house-like thing with windows facing two directions, and altars on either side. This house was surrounded by five (?) pillars, each topped with super-pro theatrical lighting equipment, which was sequenced on computer to a nine-track ambient music accompaniment.

Does anyone know what piece this was? I can't figure it out from the whatwherewhen. It totally blew my mind. I don't know how many people saw it, since it only ran from sometime late Friday night (midnight, maybe?) through dawn on Sunday morning. But it was thoroughly incredible and I feel blessed for having been able to be there for it....
I don't know either, but I have pictures of it:


User avatar
sonoma9249
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: somewhere between here & there

Pics B Man 2005

Post by sonoma9249 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:23 pm

Many Thank You's, Your's were the very first pics that I've seen as I was'nt able to be on the playa this year and Your pics are really really GREAT....I know are more are coming very soon.. Once again Thank You for taking those awesome pics..........
All We Are Saying Is Give Peace A Chance..J Lennon

theta444
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:05 pm
Location: nomadic
Contact:

Re: Pics B Man 2005

Post by theta444 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:25 pm

sonoma9249 wrote:Many Thank You's, Your's were the very first pics that I've seen as I was'nt able to be on the playa this year and Your pics are really really GREAT....I know are more are coming very soon.. Once again Thank You for taking those awesome pics..........
yay! did you see the entire set ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/theta444/sets/893055/ )
of course, you can see everyone's on flickr by doing search for the burning man, burning man 2005, playa, and black rock tags:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/burningman2005
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/burningman/clusters/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/black ... /clusters/

jannypan
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:19 pm

Re: deep playa light art

Post by jannypan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:56 pm

joshi wrote:Hello all.. . I'm back in my default-world home and surveying all the mess from my pre-playa preparations... and I know the post-BM discussions are going to start coming on eplaya pretty fast and furious, so I thought I'd start one already...

Probably my favorite piece this year was something that I found on the deep playa, past the temple, on the 10:00 side of things. It was a little house-like thing with windows facing two directions, and altars on either side. This house was surrounded by five (?) pillars, each topped with super-pro theatrical lighting equipment, which was sequenced on computer to a nine-track ambient music accompaniment.

Does anyone know what piece this was? I can't figure it out from the whatwherewhen. It totally blew my mind. I don't know how many people saw it, since it only ran from sometime late Friday night (midnight, maybe?) through dawn on Sunday morning. But it was thoroughly incredible and I feel blessed for having been able to be there for it....
The artists are called Radiant Atmospheres. They've done large scale light installations before on the playa. In 2001, they did one called Afterlife.

http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/Leo ... /abel.html

http://www.radiantatmospheres.com/

I thought this year's installation was particularly beautiful.

jannypan

joshi
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:09 am

Post by joshi » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:36 am

Yep, that must be them! Thanks so much for telling me who they are. Maybe I'll write them an email to ask what the name of the piece was...

Wish I'd been there in 2001; Afterlife looks like it was awesome.

Anthony Bondi
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Las Vegas NV

playa light

Post by Anthony Bondi » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:48 am

This piece was also one of my favorites in a year that was in my judgement the best ever for large scale art installations.

Kinetic IV
Posts: 2983
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine as of 10/27/06

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 am

Light painters are a very rare breed...and they definitely put on an impressive display.

I'm still a little partial to the works of the late Dale Eldred here in KC but still...light artists will always capture my attention and warrant praise for their work....and in this case that praise is certainly earned.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

User avatar
malchik
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by malchik » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:42 pm

joshi wrote:Yep, that must be them! Thanks so much for telling me who they are. Maybe I'll write them an email to ask what the name of the piece was...

Wish I'd been there in 2001; Afterlife looks like it was awesome.
In 2002 they made an AMAZING installation called Leviathan:
http://www.urbanachiever.com/gallery/SashaBM2002/aek
They took a break in '03 and '04, I think, and I was very happy to see them on the playa again. As a friend aptly called them, "the perfect tripper traps"...

joshi
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:09 am

Post by joshi » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:49 pm

As a friend aptly called them, "the perfect tripper traps"...
... Uhh, I wouldn't know anything about that... :wink:

User avatar
b00m3rang
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by b00m3rang » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:19 am

Yes, that was an amazing installation. Myself and my two friends found ourselves lying on the playa, transfixed by the show. It seemlessly integrated with the stars, making for a double-plus good show.

We were commenting on how BM is one of the few places where such a piece could be fully appreciated. There's no city, or park, that would not only allow such an installation, but that would lend itself so well aesthetically.

Locked

Return to “2005 Art & Performance”