Helium delivery?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Helium delivery?

Post by buckethead alien » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:15 am

If anyone is thinking about gettting some helium delivered to the playa from Sparks or Reno, my project team and I would like to get in on the order. In years past we have hauled two tanks up from San Francisco, but this year we need more, and our VW van can't take the weight. I have not yet looked into whether delivery is even possible, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Our proposal can be seen here.
Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:54 am

Perhaps if there is a helium connection there could also be a hydrogen connection. My project is going to require large amounts of this gas. I can carry about ten 197cubic ft bottles, but more than that I am pushing my trailer capacity. (Remember the Hindenburg!) I would love to hear from anyone with ideas.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

trocar

Go with these guys

Post by trocar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:24 pm

If you are looking into getting helium delivered call Norco gas supply in Winnemucca (775) 623-2200. We had 10 tanks delivered for $9 to our camp in 2001. They came out a few days later to pick up the empty tanks. It has been a few years but see if Jay is still there. He made both trips and is a pretty cool guy.
(775) 623-2200

buckethead alien

Post by buckethead alien » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:44 am

Wow. Thanks.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:10 pm

well, if you're getting all that gas, can you hook a brother up with a tank of nitrous? If you do I promise to let you experience my audio installation. It goes 'wah wah wah wah wah wah wah'.

just sayin
call me baby

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31 pm

What size bottle and will automotive grade work or must it be medcal grade. At the parties I have attended, I have seen people use the auto grade for uses other than making horsepower.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:01 pm

What size bottle
grande, por favor
call me baby

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:11 pm

Dustdevil wrote:Perhaps if there is a helium connection there could also be a hydrogen connection. My project is going to require large amounts of this gas. I can carry about ten 197cubic ft bottles, but more than that I am pushing my trailer capacity. (Remember the Hindenburg!) I would love to hear from anyone with ideas.
Just remember that you need to register with theme camps *and* let ESD know ahead of time if you bring any cylinders of a compressed flammable like Hydrogen - I think it falls under the same category as Acetylene.

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 pm

Actually hydrogen is much safer than acetylene. It produces about 10% of the energy of propane. The flammability range of hydrogen is also much less than acetylene. It burns with an almost invisible flame. We will be using coloring agents in our hydrogen flame cannons. On the app there are questions that ask what fuels are being used and how are they stored. If fuels are used or stored, that info is sent to the Performance Safety Team. If the safety guidelines are met and the project approved, ESD is notified of the fuel storage situation. I only mention that so people muddling through the long flame effect questions don't think they have to personally tell ESD. We have problems when someone brings fire art or flame effect devices that are not registered. Then there is no real record of the fuel storage or where the "device" is. Also, if they are not registered, they will not have a laminate showing they were inspected and approved. I mention this only because I am an inspector for the PST. My area of expertise is art cars with flame effects and pressurized liquid fuel flame effects devices. El Diablo was my project for 03 and 04. It will be back again this year with some "enchancements". The hydrogen flame cannons are something new. Look for "The Wizard of Id". Should be at Brain Freeze Camp. BTW, I am impressed that you think in safety terms, such as fuel storage. The PST is always looking for inspectors who think safety.....

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:15 pm

>>grins<<

I didn't know you were with PST. I'm with ESD (Comm), and one of my gigs at default work (Caltrans) is safety compliance (on a pre-OSHA structure) among all kinds of other things, so... well... >>blush<< (looking down, kicking toe into the dust...)

You also have a message waiting. >>grins<<

Gotta boogie...
BBS

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:59 pm

I'm sorta curious about the hydrogen on the playa.

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:02 am

The hydrogen will be used for low level flame effect cannons. They will be part of a totally interactive art project known as "The Wizard of Id". I will be using various sensors, blood volume pulse, respiratory and galvonic skin response. The subject will use mental energy to raise their metabolic levels. I will convert the analog signals to digital with stepped thresholds for various reations. IE, if they can raise their BP enough it will fire the red flame cannons. Blue will be for respiratory etc. It is a very involved project. We are using hydrogen because we can produce colored flames more easily than we could with hydrocarbon fuels. All the R&D is done and we are now in the production stage. I don't wish to give away all the details, but think "Old Sparky" and the B scifi movie, A Wrinkle in Time. AND remember the Hindenburg. We also have a commercial margarita machine we will bring. Maybe call ourselves "The brain freeze camp?"

trancendance

helium

Post by trancendance » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:18 pm

we may need some for a huge weather balloon - if we can find one and don't break it before the trip, like we did last time!

Dustdevil

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:33 am

Norco Gas Supply is still in business and Jay is still their outside sales person. I have contacted him and they are willing to deliver and pickup compressed gasses to the Festival for a very nominal fee. I will be purchasing my hydrogen and nitrogen from him. They carry industrial AND medical gasses. If anyone from ESD is interested they can supply O2 bottles etc. I would be willing to coordinate the delivery of gas for those who need it on the Playa. Please contact me off list and I will start the process. I will take care of the Gate logistics and perhaps I can use part of my camp as a central point for his delivery and pickup.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:30 am

Dustdevil wrote: If anyone from ESD is interested they can supply O2 bottles etc.
That's very sweet Dustdevil, but they have their own lines of supply.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

buckethead alien

Dustdevil -

Post by buckethead alien » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:24 pm

Dustdevil, call or e-mail me so we can get the helium order squared away. The balloon has arrived and it's a thing of beauty.

Return to “2005 Art & Performance”