Space Island presents the Temple Of Breaks

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Space Island presents the Temple Of Breaks

Post by trilobyte » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:47 pm

Last year, the Temple Of Breaks was one of the best events on the playa. We sailed The Space Wench (a 2-story silver pirate ship) out to the base of the Temple Of Stars at dark thirty on Wednesday night. We dropped a sound system on the dust, aimed the speakers towards BRC, and turned it up to eleven as some of the best breakbeat DJ's out there went to work. Several hundred people came and shared their time with us through the night and into Thursday morning. The music was unbelievable, and perfectly topped off with a chill set played as the sun rose and the white procession made their way to the temple.

We're doing it again this year at the Temple Of Dreams. On Wednesday night, at dark thirty, we'll sail The Space Wench (bigger, better, and shinier than last year's) out to the base of the temple. We'll drop a sound system on the dust (bigger, better, and shinier than last year's), and we'll present The Temple Of Breaks. We think that this year's event will be even more magical. Friends will be stopping by throughout the night with amazing performances (fire, dance, and acrobatics - oh my). Some of the most mind-bendingly creative art cars on the playa will appear (though in fairness, some of the things you see may turn out to be a hallucination).

My campmate Patricio will be announcing the lineup soon, but mark your calendar. Whatever you may already have planned for Wednesday night, plan on coming out to the Temple Of Dreams afterwards. Or before. Or during. Just come on out and celebrate with us and dance your ass off in one of the most beautiful settings you could ever imagine.

~Trilo~

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:01 am

yay! Breaks!
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

damon

Post by damon » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:18 pm

Sounds good :) Breaks followed by chillout- yummy :)

thunkeroo

Post by thunkeroo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:43 am

love it. i'm bringing my whole camp with me!

um, is dark thirty 12:30am?

nostratomas

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

Post by nostratomas » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:00 am

I do believe I will induce some sort or nap/wheaties/cocktail to make that f'n day last.

Looking forward to being amidst all of you sexy/dusty asses from around the world, dancing to what surely could be one of the most momentous moments yet.

fuck yay!
If you can't ride it, burn it.

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:14 pm

*shuders with glee at the prospect of breaks*

1-2-3-4 trance sucks trance sucks 1-2-3-4....
What is Driveway's Game?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:46 pm

Driveway wrote:*shuders with glee at the prospect of breaks*

1-2-3-4 trance sucks trance sucks 1-2-3-4....
Perhaps someone needs a tall glass of STFU. There's nothing wrong with trance, especially vocal trance.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

dj big E

no trance pls lmao

Post by dj big E » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:11 am

I can't wait . Thats what brc needs more breaks and less trance. :lol: Pls don't allow any trance or house I get enough of that out theyre. Thanks again. BIG E

damon

Post by damon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:28 am

People should me more tolerant and open minded :)

dj big E

lmao

Post by dj big E » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:55 am

I will enjoy the excessive amounts of trance out theyre i am just excited to here more breaks yippee. Lmao I am just tranced out. I'll be camping at 930 and ego which is a stones throw from several large sound camps believe me i will here plenty of trance. :twisted: anyone know if the space cowboys will be hosting there friday event Nothing like breaks,cowgirls and the unimog at 6 am :).

mo_corleone

Post by mo_corleone » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:46 pm

for all the breaks heads, Camp Want It (3:00/Amnesia in the plaza area) will be throwing a breakbeat boozefest on thursday night. sunset until whenever. stop on by and check out the throwdown! i really don't think there's going to be any shortage of breakbeat this year. this Temple of Breaks business sounds pretty bangin' as well.
~ erratically self-sufficient ~

damon

Post by damon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:01 pm

/shameless plug on

Almost everwhere I'm going to play this year I'll be dropping asian breaks/bhangra tracks - so ..another chance to hear breaks on the playa this year :)

/shameless plug off

:)

trilobyte
Site Admin

re: Temple Of Breaks

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:50 pm

While I'm not a big trance fan, I'm not gonna knock it. A lot of people are doing some good stuff in that space, and people seem to like it.

Dark thirty = half an hour or so after nightfall.

Guys, this night is going to kick some serious ass... I'm waiting for final confirmations, but it's looking like we're going to get to hear the likes of Freq Nasty, Adam Ohana, Tipper, David Starfire, Oscure, Patricio, novaTRON, and the Lawgivers, along with a surprise or two along the way.

~Trilo~

dj big E

yippee

Post by dj big E » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:12 pm

Freq nasty drops the hard bass. I can't wait yippee

BoomButu

Post by BoomButu » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:06 pm

BoomButu loves the breaks...Will be in the temple Wednesday!
Respek!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:00 am

Yeah, these guys are some seriously amazing performers. Freq's reputation preceeds him, and is very well deserved... but everyone on that bill is extremely talented, and will have me dancing my ass completely off over and over again all night long...

~Trilo~

damon

Re: re: Temple Of Breaks

Post by damon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:45 am

trilobyte wrote:While I'm not a big trance fan, I'm not gonna knock it. A lot of people are doing some good stuff in that space, and people seem to like it.

That's how all people should react :)
Dark thirty = half an hour or so after nightfall.
I need to buy a watch this year for sure :)
Guys, this night is going to kick some serious ass... I'm waiting for final confirmations, but it's looking like we're going to get to hear the likes of Freq Nasty
Fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!

mo_corleone

Post by mo_corleone » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:36 pm

double

mo_corleone

Post by mo_corleone » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm

this is a total aside, but i really wish parties could just happen and people could just show up and dig the music on the random instead of flocking to "rave tents" at scheduled times to see "headliners". i liked this party a little bit better before i knew about all the "big names".

no offense meant, this is just a minor gripe of mine. it's really hard to maintain that whole 'burning man is not a rave' argument when people are so blatantly advertising their famous performers to pull heads.

dj big E

I here you

Post by dj big E » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:04 pm

I will be heading out to the temple of breaks for the breaks themselves vs freq nasty ,but if he's dropping wax wy i'am theyre thats cool to. I am in the dj and broadcasting business and am very familiar with freq nasty. So if i get to see him thats great if not i don't care i'll be all dusty stomping my feet to that good old breakbeat..... No matter who spins it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:19 am

Sorry, Mo... These people are our friends and we're glad to have them performing with us. We don't do rave tent - neither in LA nor on the playa. And we don't really have any posted schedule on who's playing when, for us the music is what matters.

Yes, for us it's a party. Space Island does not do the giant camp thing - we create an event within an event, it only exists for that window of time, and then afterwards we leave the space without a trace. We're partial to Wednesday because to us, it's the last night before the weekend partygoers show up.

~Trilo~

mo_corleone

Post by mo_corleone » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:04 am

trilobyte wrote:Sorry, Mo... These people are our friends and we're glad to have them performing with us.
aw, no need to be sorry. i know what it's like to be proud of the famous friends you have spinning for you. i guess there's just a lot of different directions to go from there, just like there's a lot of different ways to interpret "about the music".

i hope your party goes off! 8)

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 pm

*Having finished his tall frosty glass of STFU, Driveway leaps back into action.*

Trance is crap. It's crap on crappy wheels.

Tolerance is crap too. So is peace, and love. And smiling for that matter, smiling is for babies and drunks. And shoes, I fuckin' hate shoes. Burning Man sucks too. As a matter of fact, the only things that are actually cool are Nickelback groupies and peanut butter. Everything else in the world sucks. Including Nickelback.
What is Driveway's Game?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Please disregard my earlier message about the names/lineup for the night.

Just know that it's going to be breakbeats, and it will be the best night of music, dancing, and celebration that we can muster. The Space Island camp/collective works hard throughout the year in Los Angeles to create amazing, exciting, and creative atmospheres. We bring two things to the playa - the Space Wench (our 2-story pirate ship art car) and we bring the Temple Of Breaks. For us it's a celebration of everything we do, and if you get a chance we would love it if you'd join us.

~Trilo~

thehunt

Post by thehunt » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:44 pm

I'll be there Wed. night to watch!!
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: [email][email protected][/email]

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:54 pm

Excellent, cool... in a bit of an effort to make sure it's all about the music, we're more or less abandoning the idea of putting out a setlist. There are a lot of great artists, DJ's, and performers who are going to help make this as memorable night as they can - and the medium that they'll use is music! Hope to see you there, dancing in the wee hours at the temple!

~Trilo~

damon

Post by damon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 am

mo_corleone wrote:no offense meant, this is just a minor gripe of mine. it's really hard to maintain that whole 'burning man is not a rave' argument when people are so blatantly advertising their famous performers to pull heads.
I'm not even trying to make any promises to myslef (OK I HAVE to be there on .... at ....) We all know how things change on the playa. Imho we should treat those anouncements as extra info only that we can use but don't have to :) There's so many interesting things (not only parties) going on, that missing some big acts it's not a pain at all :)

damon

Post by damon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:10 am

trilobyte wrote:Excellent, cool... in a bit of an effort to make sure it's all about the music, we're more or less abandoning the idea of putting out a setlist. There are a lot of great artists, DJ's, and performers who are going to help make this as memorable night as they can - and the medium that they'll use is music! Hope to see you there, dancing in the wee hours at the temple!

~Trilo~
Send me a PM with timeslots please :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Return to “2005 Art & Performance”