Playa Network

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
ihor

Playa Network

Postby ihor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Last year there was a network on the playa. I think it was using Ubiquity Bullet 5 transceivers and antennas, but I'm not sure if that was the hardware. Is that happening this year?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Playa Network

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Are you talking about WIFI service to the outside world? Yes, it will be available this year. Or at least as available as it has been or can be.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

ihor

Postby ihor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:13 pm

It was the backbone for the playa wifi. We are at 10&G, so we cant easily just move on over to one of the sites which had the traditional WiFi. But BM set up a net at 5GHz to get the Wifi over to a couple of other places, and, it was ok to hook up if you had the right stuff.... I am looking for someone to confirm, that thats the right stuff.... The Ubiquity Bullet 5....

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 am

You should contact these folks now, before everyone disappears into playabrain:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41792#p695355

If you are a wireless geek, you might introduce yourself to the in playa open source GSM camp just for fun.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Gumby Roffo
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Envy, Burn2.0, Green Tortoise,

Postby Gumby Roffo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 pm

From what I noticed this year the main connection to the 5Ghz net was using Ubiquity M5 Nano Bridges. A excellent piece of kit and POE. Some camps then fed this 5Ghz link to First camp into a local domestic wifi router/switch and then set their own SSID and passwords for their camp. Most common on this link was the radio stations broadcasting across the Playa. I would guess from all the links that First camp or Media meca had a M5 rocket with a Omni antenna.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”