DISASTER at the BURNER HOSTEL

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
hageymon

Post by hageymon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:57 am

OUR ENTIRE 30' X 60' SHADE STRUCTURE HAS BEEN STOLEN, on a utility trailer (NV#61465S), plus our tow vehicle, a 1990 GMC Suburban (dark grey with red stripe, NV#993PMV) from a parking lot in Sparks. Unless recovered immediately, WE HAVE NO HOME FOR 125 PEOPLE FROM AROUND THE WORLD. WE APPEAL FOR HELP! HAGEY at 775-358-5080, FISH at 219-614-1835, SANTA at 219-614-1835.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 am

Those bastards!

ARe you just looking for the vehicles or do you need help (and if so, what kind) implimenting a backup plan?

To everyone: Hageymon is a stand up guy and a shining star of the community. This is almost as bad as if they stole the man.

oh heck. maybe it's worse.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

hageymon

Post by hageymon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:35 am

BOTH, ANYTHING, CRYPTO! 125 people are COUNTING ON ME! I have already cried myself senseless and am now completely NUMB and MINDLESS! I don't know WHAT to do!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:41 am

Fred--I came in here yesterday with a tent crisis and people stood up for me. It will happen. It may not be perfect, but it will happen.
Question: If money/materials were no object is there time to build a new shelter or should we be looking for something that someone already has?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:54 am

I'm really over-planned for shade for my camp. I've got a 10x30 ft quonset style shade structure that I can donate to the cause. I'm planning to arrive Monday but could shift it to Sunday if needed. I've heard nothing but good about Hagey, I'd love to help. It's a drop in the bucket, but maybe it's a start.

Here's a picture of the shade structure from last year.

http://home.comcast.net/~brockandsal/shelter.jpg

PMing my phone #.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:20 am

Ta, swampdog.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:49 am

I'm reading this and wondering what can I do? I'm 1600 miles away but I've heard about Hageymon for years, he's a damn good man and now he's in a hell of a jam. He's got people in the air right now heading his way.

I can't physically offer materials or labor to build a replacement shade structure or haul something out for him, but if funds are needed I'd chip in on that without hesistation. When things get sorted out and a strategy for resolving this is figured out, I hope it's shared here so the rest of us can get the word out and pitch in. Also has word of this made it over to Tribe yet? If not it needs to.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:58 am

I have an extra 10x20 carport I'll try to bring.

Hagey, what would help is specific information about what you need so people can bring it in as they arrive. Shelter? Water? Bedding? Food? What do you need us to bring? Let's turn this bitch around.

hageymon

DISASTER at the BRIBH

Post by hageymon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:03 am

HEELLLOOOOO, Dallas! PLEASE e-mail me at bribh2005@prodigy.net with your phone number. And THANK YOU very much! Hagey

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 am

What a fucking nightmare.Where is the Karma in this?If you cannot recover the gear in time Club Verboten would be happy to offer camping space and stuff to displaced internationals.Let's hope nobodys help is needed and that stolen rig is being pulled over at this very moment.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 am

I've got 2 sleeping bags. One doesn't have to be returned. But I suspect that most of his campers are bringing or buying thier own. True? And I think that getting stuff to the playa is going to be an issue. We won't have room, I know. Low on cash too. Any chance of getting a rental, Hagey? or is it too late on a tight week?
The Lady with a Lamprey

hageymon

DISASTER

Post by hageymon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:10 am

Our concern is SHADE and a tow vehicle and a trailer to get it out there and back. It's a BIG deal.

b00m3rang

Post by b00m3rang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:11 am

That's really too bad. Just remember, they're burners, they'll do what they can to help out, and they certainly won't blame you. Shit happens. If ever there were a group that can pull together and do the improbable, this is it.

Take a deep breath, it'll work out.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 am

Okay, stupid question here. Are you okay Hageymon? Do you already have hostelers staying with you? If someone in the local area could come over and help (and I'm in california, so I'm doing the evil of volenteering someone else) cook or clean or rub your back while you talk with the police--would that help, not the specifics, but your ability to deal with it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:35 am

Hagey, if I show up at your camp on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning with it, you'll know you have it. I can't promise any more than that right now, sorr.

Cthru

Donations?

Post by Cthru » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:49 am

Is there somewhere we could donate some cash to maybe get the mula together so you can get another one?
"not this crude matter"
Jake

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:20 pm

Hageymon I'm in reno I'll give ya a call when i'm off work tonight ( TUE 7pm) and see if there is anything i can help with.

dapete
Burning Since: 1992
Camp Name: Random Pants

An Option

Post by dapete » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:21 pm

jello4jim

We can host some

Post by jello4jim » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Hi,

If you need to place some of your displaced campers we could take 5 more people at our camp(then were at our cap)....

As a group we all pitched in together to create the 30 ft tall rig with shade structure(think circus big top one ring). We have a 20ft group dome and also the usual group shower area. Our location is high traffic on the Esplanade and feedback(the entrance area to center camp).

To be fair to the rest of the group we probably would need to ask them to pitch in a nominal bit too.

You guys are great, so if we can help out were more than happy too.

Feel free to contact me directly or send them my way if you need to. my e-mail is jello4jim@yahoo.com. Were the Temple Of The Quik Fix. Were on the playa starting this Saturday am..

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Hageymon, I am so sorry to hear that but the Playaverse will provide. I can feel the wheels turning, can’t you?

I know you are scrambling but it would be helpful if you posted a list of what you need so we can concentrate on that. Also might be helpful to post camp location here on the thread. My wife and I are of limited resources but will do whatever we can. Will not be on playa till Tuesday but, as I said in my e-mail, I can supply at least 1, probably 2, 4 man tents. Much of what we bring to BM is borrowed so I can not commit what does not belong to me but I will ask around and gather what I can. I have already posted an alert on the AEZ list I subscribe to, and imagine you should get a lot of help coming in from our camp. Our thought are with you, please hang in there and keep us all posted on what you have accumulated.

Kerry and Gabilicious
E Tu Brute?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:18 pm

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=10186
Shade is trickling in and ActionGrrl is on the case! Not bad for less than 8 hours...
The Lady with a Lamprey

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:26 pm

It's good to know AG's working on it but if there's something else that the rest of us can do, if funds are needed for example I hope it gets posted so people can help out.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Were these things insured?

misstickle

Suggestion: Paypal for funds donations

Post by misstickle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Hageymon - I'm so so sorry to hear it! What a bummer that such jerks exist...

But don't fret - you have a community of wonderful, giving people that make miracles happen!

Case in point: last year, the beautiful custom-made silver tent that has served as the central shade structure in the Alternative Energy Zone village was stolen... by people who couldn't even set it up, no doubt. Our village mayor opened up a paypal account for donations and was able to buy and build a new one in time for the burn.

I'm sure there are many like myself who'd love to donate to the cause - just set up a paypal account and post the link on the boards. I will help forward it around.

Cheers,
MissTickle
Miss Tickle
Fuckin'Yay!

b00m3rang

Post by b00m3rang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:24 pm

bullD wrote:Were these things insured?
C'mon now, if they were insured it'd be unlikely they could replace the structure in a few days anyway. If not, you're just rubbing it in.

It seems a few people think you're talking about a camp at the event, but this is for your incredibly generous gift of your Reno home being used as a staging area for travelers, right?

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:49 pm

simple question, that's all...

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:50 pm

b00m3rang wrote:
bullD wrote:Were these things insured?
C'mon now, if they were insured it'd be unlikely they could replace the structure in a few days anyway. If not, you're just rubbing it in.
It's a question worth asking, IMO - the shock of realizing something of this scope is GONE this close to when it's truly needed most could easily distract a person from remembering details like insurance
b00m3rang wrote:It seems a few people think you're talking about a camp at the event, but this is for your incredibly generous gift of your Reno home being used as a staging area for travelers, right?
Hagey does both, actually; the Hostel village is right behind Whee!Ville on 4:00.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

b00m3rang

Post by b00m3rang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 pm

I know, it just seemed to me that you might have inadvertently been adding insult to injury, for possibly little benefit. No biggie.

b00m3rang

Post by b00m3rang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:55 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:It's a question worth asking, IMO - the shock of realizing something of this scope is GONE this close to when it's truly needed most could easily distract a person from remembering details like insurance
Good point.
PurpleKoosh wrote:Hagey does both, actually; the Hostel village is right behind Whee!Ville on 4:00.
Aah, thanks for clarifying that.

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 pm

Takes a couple days to set up a paypal account, at least it did when I set mine up a few years ago. They deposit a few cents in your account then you need to verify the ammount at there website Blah blah blah. Anyway may be easier/faster now.
E Tu Brute?

Return to “2011 Share Resources”