DISASTER at the BURNER HOSTEL

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am

Hey Hagey, I'm broke as hell right now, but I'm in Reno and I'd be happy to help out with anything I can. If you need someone to shuttle kids from the airport and/or to the grocery store I'm all over it. I'm also on set-up crew, so I'll be arriving on Saturday afternoon, and if you come up with a new structure I'd be happy to put in some manual labor help with getting it ready for anyone. Send me a message if there's anything I can do.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:52 am

Bummer indeed, I'm truly sorry this happened. Can I help? Probably not from where I'm sitting other than moral support. I don't want to make light of what happened here and although I've never met Fred I do truly respect what he does. My 7 years on the playa have taught me that it's folks like these that make shit happen for many other people. Right on, rock on, kick ass Hageymon. I'm not spewing crap when I say you rule for what you do. We've had 3 out of country folks from Japan camp with us last year and the year before that passed through your hostel. Hope you get your problems solved, if I could offer any assistance I would.

That being said. My beef is not with Hageymon but with the 10 or 20 or so unspoken full time residents/mom's of this here e-playa. Check this my people, Hageymon posted this in 4 threads, that's right, you heard me, 4. Holy shit brothers and sisters. Where are the flames, where are the stern corrections, where is your outrage? Is this rule breaking worthy of your sarcasm, ridicule, and unending wit? Is this 'good cause' okay and something else not okay? I'm sorry, I love reading most of your stuff and I usually don't have much to say but this just kinda irks me. Fucking get over yourselves, it's only a fucking message board for a fucking camping trip (stealing someone elses line here), that's all. BM means a great deal to me as well and always will but jezebus people, get over it.

Oh my god, a good cause, let's forget how we flamed mr.finger(or something) a few days ago because he 'sounded' like he was a yahoo or whatever. How much time did some of you spend on trying to drag that shit down, and in the end he's someone any of us would camp with and party with. No offense intended to any of you regulars, you make the eplaya what it is, and it is still fun. Shit, I would love to share a beer and more with so many of you but sometimes I just can't figure y'all out.

Enough. Stop bitching and try and help, right? Aargh...

Hageymon, if I stop by Sunday night can I fill that extra seat in my truck? Damnit, I didn't want to ride with anyone but you lovely bastards have gone and made me all helpful. Fuck y'all.

Leaving east bay Sunday mid day with an extra seat and roof space...

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:27 am

Wakawaka:
You raise excellent points. I am but one voice on here but perhaps the exception to the crossposting rule in this case may be explained with some simple things. First off this statement sits right at the top of the eplaya Community Guidelines page.
Philosophy
The ePlaya exists to support the Burning Man community.
Next, in this case Hageymon is being relied on by over 120 people to provide them a place to camp at the event. Quite a few of these people are already airborne and on their way to Reno which meant he needed help NOW.

We are all part of a community here and in this case we are helping out one of our own, just like we would help you if a disaster befell you on the playa. It's how Burners are, it's what we do.

Crossposting is wrong, the same CG's I quoted address it about 1 column inch below the part I quoted. But....common sense comes into play here. If there was ever an exception for the cross posting rule I'd say this is it. I'd also bet when one of the admins gets here some of those posts will be gone.

Again, you do raise a very good point and I wanted to take time to respond. He was in full blown panic mode. He's got 120 people relying on him to make their burn happen. I have no problems with what happened here. You are welcome to disagree but the powers that be will likely share the same beliefs I do..or be pretty close on this one. Watch and see.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:00 am

Should I just use my own paypal account for anyone who wants to make a donation? I'm not hitting the playa until Tuesday night but I could give him the money to pay him back for whatever he's having to pay for between now and then...?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:20 am

Dallas--Call Hagey and ask. (his number's at the top of the thread.)

As for the cross-posting issue, I changed my tag line just for that.
<---------
Because it's close to the event, and because it is a big deal and because I suspect that the people with the power to consolidate threads are already on playa and because Hagey's good people and too distressed to take that kind of crap, I let him slide. I did note he'd cross posted in the "Case Studies" thread that is one of the ways of letting admin know of violation.

FWIW.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:00 am

DallasPlaya wrote:Should I just use my own paypal account for anyone who wants to make a donation? I'm not hitting the playa until Tuesday night but I could give him the money to pay him back for whatever he's having to pay for between now and then...?
The only possible problem with that is that it take 3 or 4 business days for the money to get transfered from thier Paypal account to thier bank account (The actual transfer from your bank account to Paypal, and from your paypal to thier Paypal account happens right away). I don't think the money would get to them in time to help. Perhaps there is a way to do some sort of "direct deposit" from one bank account to another. Wire transfer or something of the like? :)

Badger

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:12 am

Has hagey said he needs money? With the 40 x 40 in Black Rock Station he wont need transportation and the 10 x 30 will be coming up with the donor. Not that having the infrastructure in place for cash asap just in case might not be a bad idea, but we don't want to be like that company that donated all those pairs of winter pajamas to those tropical countries after the Tsunami. Something to think about.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:12 am

capjbadger wrote:
DallasPlaya wrote:Should I just use my own paypal account for anyone who wants to make a donation? I'm not hitting the playa until Tuesday night but I could give him the money to pay him back for whatever he's having to pay for between now and then...?
The only possible problem with that is that it take 3 or 4 business days for the money to get transfered from thier Paypal account to thier bank account (The actual transfer from your bank account to Paypal, and from your paypal to thier Paypal account happens right away). I don't think the money would get to them in time to help. Perhaps there is a way to do some sort of "direct deposit" from one bank account to another. Wire transfer or something of the like? :)

Badger
I can front it. Whatever is committed via paypal I can give to him in cash and then I'll recoup it from my paypal account (and if there are any donations after I leave here, i'll send those to him, also). If, somehow, they do get their vehicle and trailer back, I'll refund all the payments.

I guess we could give this a shot:

Click here to donate to the Burner Hostel Disaster Relief fund

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:47 am

I hear ya folks, and I pretty much agree. Just needed to vent, I'm better now.

Good luck hageymon.

MoisturePup

Post by MoisturePup » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:23 pm

Hagey has given out his official pay pal account: fhagemeister@prodigy.net

Send your money there so that it gets to him faster.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:46 pm

MoisturePup wrote:Hagey has given out his official pay pal account: fhagemeister@prodigy.net

Send your money there so that it gets to him faster.
Right. I just called him and confirmed it (no offense; just wanted to make sure). That is the one to use. fhagemeister@prodigy.net

Hagey said, as I did, if they somehow get the truck and trailer back that he'd be refunding all donations (and that if he gets more than he needs he'll refund those, too).

Mods, can you remove my Paypal link so there's no confusion?

If anyone donated via me, I'm refunding you. Not sure why $5 "shipping" was added but I'm refunding that, too.

Community, baby!!!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:52 pm

Dallas--
The mods don't read everything. The surest way to get that removed is to pm admin and ask them--providing the link. The 2nd surest is to post in the "CAse Studies thread" in the middle forum on the bottom of hte index page.

And Dallas
Thanks for stepping up to the plate and for eating those fees. Lump in this old cynics throat for sake of the "community."
The Lady with a Lamprey

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Dallas--
The mods don't read everything. The surest way to get that removed is to pm admin and ask them--providing the link. The 2nd surest is to post in the "CAse Studies thread" in the middle forum on the bottom of hte index page.

And Dallas
Thanks for stepping up to the plate and for eating those fees. Lump in this old cynics throat for sake of the "community."
I'll try that, thanks.

Actually, the cool thing about Paypal is that if you do a refund, they refund the fee, too. But I only had 2 donations so far so it wouldn't have hurt that much anyway. And that's nothing compared to what I'm spending to do the necklace thing...that's why there will be a tip jar in our camp (although, now that I think about it, I think it'll say "No cash" on it just to see what we get, hehehhe).

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 pm

*note to self: drop a handful of glass gators suitable for necklaces into DPs tip jar*
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:21 pm

If my money gets refunded, I'll donate it into my local burn community for winter solstice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:55 pm

you dangerous radical you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:13 pm

any update on what resources have been found, and what's still needed

so I see there are two backup structures identified... what else is needed due to the theft? What else is needed in general?

- Rides? (I assume these are always needed)
- camping gear?
- ???

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:39 pm

chrispburn wrote:any update on what resources have been found, and what's still needed

so I see there are two backup structures identified... what else is needed due to the theft? What else is needed in general?

- Rides? (I assume these are always needed)
- camping gear?
- ???
I got the impression when I called that the best thing to do might be to call (see original post).

hageymon

BURNER HOSTEL

Post by hageymon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:03 am

OMIGAWD!

I am SO OVERWHELMED by so much WONDERFUL SUPPORT by the Burner Community that my Inbox has EXPLODED beyond my capacity and I have no choice, for now, but to send a goofy-ass GENERIC FORM LETTER to everyone, until I can get my head above water, AFTER the Burn, to properly thank everyone!

Please be patient, as your kindness will not be left unacknowledged!

And the GOOD NEWS is that the BORG and DPW have JUMPED into the fray and are going to provide us shelter!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's NICE to have FRIENDS in San Francisco!

We'll worry about buying a replacement for the stolen one LATER!

Hagey.

hageymon

BURNER HOSTEL

Post by hageymon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:04 am

OMIGAWD!

I am SO OVERWHELMED by so much WONDERFUL SUPPORT by the Burner Community that my Inbox has EXPLODED beyond my capacity and I have no choice, for now, but to send a goofy-ass GENERIC FORM LETTER to everyone, until I can get my head above water, AFTER the Burn, to properly thank everyone!

Please be patient, as your kindness will not be left unacknowledged!

And the GOOD NEWS is that the BORG and DPW have JUMPED into the fray and are going to provide us shelter!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's NICE to have FRIENDS in San Francisco!

We'll worry about buying a replacement for the stolen one LATER!

Hagey.

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:06 am

As always, the Hostel depends on volunteers to offer rides to the playa. If you are so inclined, and have room:
- Through Tuesday, pick up people at 1350 Breaker Way Sparks, NV 89431
near the N McCarran shopping centers (Safeway, Target & many more)
- after Tuesday, check out the Albertson's parking lot for folks needing a ride

http://www.blackrockburnerhostel.com

bullD

Post by bullD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:16 am

which Albertsons and where??????????

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:01 pm

Here's an amusing karmic fantasy to tide you over...

Say a bunch of eagle-eyed E-Playans are out and about in BRC and come across a camp with your vehicle, trailer and shade in it. "Oh, good, you found it! This belongs to the International Burner Hostel, thanks for taking care of it. We'll just take it off your hands now" — and proceed to dismantle the camp, leaving the thieves high and dry.

:twisted: :P

Sorry to hear this, Hermano. You're truly one of the bright stars. But it looks as if it's working itself out. Nihil desperandum.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Yeah, there's something so satisfying about the fantasy of finding on-playa and reclaiming it. Of course, it was almost certainly stolen by someone who doesn't even need a shade structure. I don't know what's worse....
The Lady with a Lamprey

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:*note to self: drop a handful of glass gators suitable for necklaces into DPs tip jar*
Glass gators?

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, there's something so satisfying about the fantasy of finding on-playa and reclaiming it. Of course, it was almost certainly stolen by someone who doesn't even need a shade structure. I don't know what's worse....
Those poor thieves.

"What'd we get?"

"Metal pole, silver tarp, metal pole, bungee..."

"Is that it?"

"Rope, duct tape, metal pole, stakes..."

"FUCK!"

hageymon

RIDESHARE ALTERNATIVE LOCATION

Post by hageymon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:09 pm

There are three distinct shopping centers located at the corner of McCarran Blvd and Prater Way, in Sparks. Albertsons is one of the popular shopping spots.

The Love Ninja

Oh boy...

Post by The Love Ninja » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 pm

Anybody know if who were planning on using the ride share should continue planning to do so or do we need to find alternatives. I'm packing pretty light, but I don't wanna cause anymore headache

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:32 pm

This just in...

Got this off the Guardians of the Temple list this morning. Damn, it never rains, but it pours...

--------------------------
Please distribute widely

In a nutshell, the authorities are SHUTTING US down, due to complaints by a FEW neighbors who know how to use "The System" to their advantage.

We were BOMBARDED today by officials from the City of Sparks, County Health Department, Sparks Police, and Sparks Fire Department.

Effectively, we cannot house or assist most of the people who are
expecting to find friends here, an oasis, shelter, rides, and support.

We need people to come here, but park away from here, and NOT park on this street, walk down here, and ADOPT people who need your help, and take them away from here as rapidly as possible, starting tomorrow and all through Monday and Tuesday, and do whatever is necessary to give them the Burning Man experience they were expecting, and the
hospitality they were expecting.

Please show the World what Burners can do to support one another when they are unified and inspired.

We need a MIRACLE here!

TWO ENORMOUS setbacks this year is too much to bear...

Please do not e-mail us or call us on the phone, which only makes
things worse.

Please help these people.

This BRIBH is now effectively only a footnote in History after many
years of success and will no longer exist at this location in the
future.

Please pass along this message to any and all list of concerned
Burners.

Hagey. Very sad, in tears, frustrated, angry, and exhausted.
------------------

I wonder if their neighbours would have felt the same if they were told that they've stranded some international travellers by their selfishness. Then again, we're living in Bushian America — probably not.
Yippee yi yo ki yay :x
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “2011 Share Resources”