Misting Question : Suitable pump to run 12 nozzles @ 100 psi

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
oggie

Misting Question : Suitable pump to run 12 nozzles @ 100 psi

Post by oggie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Just picked up a 12 nozzle Misty Mate misting system to use in our BM06 dome and am looking for a suitable water pump to give me 100 - 150 psi, the flow rate will be low at about 9 gal/hr. Doesn't matter much to me if it's 110V or 12VDC.

I've tried Googling (and checked out ePlaya) and after a few frustrating hours could only find booster pumps that assume you have good pressure to begin with. This won't be the case on the Playa though, it'll need to pull from a near ground level container.

I figured that some kind eplaya soul may have already figured it out already.

Thanks,

Oggie...

Link to misting system...
http://www.mistymate.com/1078100.html

falk

Post by falk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:28 pm

100-150 psi is asking a lot. I was able to get a 50 psi pump at a marine supply store. The name escapes me for the moment.

Your best bet is a SurFlo Smart Sensor Extreme, which uses electronic pressure and flow regulation. It will deliver 65 psi. Since you've got an entire year, you should wait for it to go on sale somewhere, as it's expensive (around $150-$200).

There are cheaper pumps which will produce less pressure. You want some sort of storage tank for them so they don't switch on and off so often.

If anybody knows a pump that will deliver a higher psi than that, I'd like to hear about it.

I looked at that link you posted; that looks like way too much money to pay for a misting system. I picked up my 5-nozzle set for $20 at Home Depot.

oggie

Post by oggie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for the tip...

Yip, the MSRP is way too high, I picked the 12-nozzle system up on Ebay for about $40...

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:23 pm

A pneumatic 'Randolf' pump might work. Designed for use with Nalogen or Nylobraid hoses. One will definitely do the trick. In fact, you could probably triple your capacity with one of the things.
Desert dogs drink deep.

oggie

Post by oggie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:53 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

Here's what I found to get up to 160 PSI where the droplets are small
and the cooling better :-)

The first option is a Cloudburst 380 mid-pressure misting pump. This puppy will give 160 PSI @ 0.5 GPM with continous duty operation & supports up to 18 nozzles. The MSRP about $270, so I'll keep an eye out for a heavily discounted item.

The second option comes from Shurflo, model #8000-713-238. This one
will do 100 PSI @ 0.87 GPM. MSRP is $177

A third choice, Shurflo model #8035-963-239. This pump will manage 150
PSI @ 0.63 GPM. MSRP is $216.

The Shurflo rep indicated that their two pumps should be available at a discounted price one of their dealers.

Oggie.

falk

Post by falk » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:19 pm

Damn, thanks for looking into that. I never saw either of those high-pressure pumps at the Shurflo web site.

DVD

Post by DVD » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:44 pm

oggie wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

Here's what I found to get up to 160 PSI where the droplets are small
and the cooling better :-)

The first option is a Cloudburst 380 mid-pressure misting pump. This puppy will give 160 PSI @ 0.5 GPM with continous duty operation & supports up to 18 nozzles. The MSRP about $270, so I'll keep an eye out for a heavily discounted item.

The second option comes from Shurflo, model #8000-713-238. This one
will do 100 PSI @ 0.87 GPM. MSRP is $177

A third choice, Shurflo model #8035-963-239. This pump will manage 150
PSI @ 0.63 GPM. MSRP is $216.

The Shurflo rep indicated that their two pumps should be available at a discounted price one of their dealers.

Oggie.
You could always look on ASS:
http://www.sciplus.com/

Mr.?

Post by Mr.? » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:52 pm

I have read that misters clog up with dust and can start to drip after a couple of hours. My question is; What can you put in the water to prevent the clogs? Vinger?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

falk

Post by falk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Mr.? wrote:I have read that misters clog up with dust and can start to drip after a couple of hours. My question is; What can you put in the water to prevent the clogs? Vinger?
I had no problems with clogging on my system (~55 psi). I don't think vinegar would help anyway, as I don't think the dust is actually soluable.

I would just bring spare nozzles and replace them as needed. Plus using only clean water and a filter to run the system.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:24 pm

My question is; What can you put in the water to prevent the clogs? Vinger?
Figure out a way to fix an aquarium aerozier stone at the pump intake. Keep in mind that it'd definitely cut down on the flow volume.

Actually, it'd probably be best to figure a good way to pre-filter your water before putting it into your resevoir.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:35 pm

You want to either filter the input (which can cut volume) or the output (which will cut pressure) with a *good* quality water filter (like one of the household cartridges) - what clogs the nozzles isn't lime like a home system but the fine particulate of playa dust building up...

On my M-1 evaporatomatic (which has no filter, huge holes, and is more like a waterfall than a sprayer) I have it gigged to take the end off the feed pipe to flush it every so often to get the fine gluey dirt out of the pipe... but if you're starting with *clean* water and filter it before it hits the sprayer heads (I'd put the filter between the pump and the sprayline) you should have *no* problem... *IF* you get reduced flow you either rinse out the filter or replace it and rinse out them at home (and figure out how your "clean" water got muck into it.)

bb

oggie

Post by oggie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:16 pm

Thought you might like to hear about the best price I found on the Shurflo 150 PSI misting pump (8035-963-239). It arrived yesterday (lead time was about six weeks).

Contact Michael Hoverson <mtec@direcway.com> and he'll get one to you for $95 plus $9 Priority shipping. Pretty good.

Oggie...

Vertumnus

Post by Vertumnus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:07 am

I started a mister project year before last- an air pressure tank system no pump( well an a manual operated air pump- peeps have to take turns to pressurize the system Used 2 old 20lber propane tanks - changed the valves on them and rinsed several times to get the smell out.

I didn't complete it though, so not playa tested

picked up nozzles very very tiny tiney orifices ( don't you just love tech talk) at at the local industrial supply store - selling hydraulic valves and such.

you can also get nozzle tips from spray painting equipment ( guns) MFG'ers/ suppliers

as for filtering -- use an automotive in line gas filter they are cheap and I believe fine enough of a filter. try a fuel pump from a car., very cheap and runs on 12 volts dc. there is prob an adjustment on them for pressure regulation - i don't know that tho.

I could not find my receipts on the suppliers and the part numbers on the nozzles,tho.'

justa thought.
V
Un altro mondo e' possible

EspressoDude

pump for mister

Post by EspressoDude » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:31 am

Try an espresso machine pump....the are called carbonator pumps for use in mixed beverages "aka soda -pop" They run about $100.00 from Grainger, deliver 160-200 psi, have pressure regulator, some with filters. 25-40 gpm.

Also required is a motor (carbonator mount) 1/4 hp up to 160 psi, 1/3 hp over that pressure.

We use a 4 nozzle mister system in our camp, a water type fire extinguisher tank, and a tire pump to charge it up.. Some personal energy required to pump the tank.

Best option......get acclimated to the temperature and forget the tech stuff.

EspressoDude
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:17 am

We have a misting system on our art car and successfully used a 12v weed sprayer meant to mount on the back of an ATV. Extended the tubing and it was plug-n-play! Got it from Harbor Freight. We only had 8 nozzles, not 12, but had a nice, fine mist with no dripping. Are you sure you really need that much pressure?

Ah, here it is:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=9583

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:17 pm

I bring up a portable garage evaporative cooler. Works great! Coming from Phoenix we don't really care about the heat out there as it is a nice break from 115...but the evap is a great way to go.

Gravity Mike

Post by Gravity Mike » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I ran 30 gal/hr worth of those very misters last year with 45-60 psi. Actaully, let me correct, most of my gal/hr was gardening misters, cuz those misters are only like 1/2 gal/hr/mister - and I needed volume. Either way - both types worked fine at that pressure. My purpose was evaporating gray waste (60 gals/day for a large theme camp). We filtered the water with a homemade charcoal filter. Some clogging happened, but not too bad. Figure on replacing the orifaces every year.

I would think that if you evaporate 'virgin' water (not recycled water), that filtering should not be an issue.

Gravity

lush

Post by lush » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi - I'm lush - been lurking afor a week or so, reading up on all the playa "tips" on this board.

Planning daily for my first Burn this year ---

I've got a misting Q: I'll be solo, planning on using a human powered garden mister - the handle will lock on after pumping up the pressure; my Q. is - how does one attach the tubing with the nozzles to the stock sprayer handle?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance - looking forward to the experience!

lush

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:57 pm

lush wrote:Hi - I'm lush - been lurking afor a week or so, reading up on all the playa "tips" on this board.

Planning daily for my first Burn this year ---

I've got a misting Q: I'll be solo, planning on using a human powered garden mister - the handle will lock on after pumping up the pressure; my Q. is - how does one attach the tubing with the nozzles to the stock sprayer handle?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance - looking forward to the experience!

lush
Lush, welcome to the wonderful world of Burning Man.
Go to a hardware store like true value or OSH, Stay away from the big box store, for what your trying to do the smaller store will give you the best help. It's not a hard set-up. Just need to tell them what you want.
What we did was to save the melting ice water out of the ice chest.( Don't drink that water)( you'll get sick) bring exrta screw in nozzle, some will plug up. Don't over build, to many nozzle's and it won't work right, you'll be pumping up to much also.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

darren y
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: VAMP CAMP

Post by darren y » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:47 pm

last year i had a 10x20 ft. misting tent [~100+ misters] run off a 12v RV pump, had extra nozzles for those that got clogged, when they did i just blew them out with compressed air...
worked awesome, running continuously from noon to sunset every day, we used 3-4 55 gallon drums of water per day, waste water was caught in a pond underneath the stage, & the pumped back into the empty barrels when the event was over, very little waste water was left most of it evaporated.
I'll be back this year!

@ the Vamp Camp

see u there!!

Mister Mister
aka: Mr. Mister

Rabbi Dali Rick

....We Don Need No Stinking Misting........

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:31 am

You should have tried these guys

http://www.cloudtops.com/misting_systems.htm

RAINMAKER I MISTING SYSTEM KIT ™
Includes our upgrade misting pump. Runs dry and is designed for intermittent or continuous duty. Mist a single enclosure or an entire greenhouse. Can be programmed to operate automatically up to 14 times per day for as little as 1 minute or as long as desired. 110V 50/60 HZ operation, 220 Volt power converters available.

Actual number of nozzles able to be used with this system will vary depending on many factors including, type and number of nozzles used, corresponding flow rate, number and types of fittings, etc.

But normally up to 50 or more of our "red low flow wide angle nozzles" & 80' + of flexible hose can be operated on this system with no noticeable drop in performance. 
* 1 - Upgrade Misting Pump # WT25FI

* 2 - Hose Couplings

* 1 - 28 Cycle Electronic Digital Timer

* 1- Bulkhead Fitting with Neoprene Gaskets

* 2 - Tee Style Nozzle Assemblies

* 20' - Premium Quality High Pressure Hose

* 2 - Elbow Style Nozzle Assemblies

* 1 - Five Gallon Reservoir

* 2 - All Hose Barb Elbows

* 10 - Stainless Steel Hose Clamps

* 2 - All Hose Barb Tees

* 1 - Instructions and Warranty Packet

ITEM  # HOSE SIZE QUANTITY PRICE  
RM1MSK 1/4" 1 $239.99

live fully,

the rebbi

darren y
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: VAMP CAMP

Post by darren y » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:29 am

thanks for the link!!
I actually need some more nozzles/replacements for my system
i may even set up a timer this year
maybe even some pink shade cloth!!
aka: Mr. Mister

falk

Post by falk » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:21 pm

Holy crap, it's perfect. Where was it when I needed it last year?

falk

Post by falk » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Oops, but be careful. Looks like it only comes with 4 nozzles; you have to buy more if you want them.

desert dog

Mister pump

Post by desert dog » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:20 pm

You can find a 100psi Shurflow pump for about $85.
http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/ ... -pump.html
DD

Return to “2011 Share Resources”