Goggles closeout sale

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
galaxybeing
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Goggles closeout sale

Post by galaxybeing » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:12 pm

I found a site that is getting rid of their goggles so is marking them down quite a bit. They have some cool goggles including bug eye "snow bug" goggles for $12.

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey cool, thanks! I just bought five pairs for under twenty bucks even after shipping. So if they suck, I don't really care!

Scritch

Post by Scritch » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks for the tip

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:27 pm

Awesome! Now my mannequinscan have goggles, for that extra special BM-fashion touch. Thanks!

eta: I just spoke with a SUPER-nice woman from the website on the phone, she is trying to update the site as fast as possible but she just can't keep up with all the hits she's been getting from this link. She had to make some substitutions for me. If you're interested you'd better act fast.

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Ivy, I may have an extra pair or two if you'd like to borrow them. I can't imagine that I'll actually use all five pairs even if I like them.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:02 am

I bought six pairs. I think I'm pretty set. :)

I figure the ones I don't use for me or the mannies, I'll give to other people who might want/need them.

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Yea, that's what I thought too.

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:31 pm

I bought six pair Sunday. Got them in the mail today.

The problem I see is that the vent holes are on the front which will allow playa dust to penetrate. The other problem is that I didn't have them on for more than a minute before they fogged up.

I was thinking of putting a dab of white glue in the vent holes and using anti-fog stuff on the lens. I'll let you know how it works.

6 pair for $20.00 - not bad either way.

virgin

Post by virgin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks so much for that! Just bought 5 under 20! My friends will appreciate it too 8)
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Reactioncrew/b3956e39.jpg[/img]

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:39 pm

Cabanasprings wrote:I bought six pair Sunday. Got them in the mail today.

The problem I see is that the vent holes are on the front which will allow playa dust to penetrate. The other problem is that I didn't have them on for more than a minute before they fogged up.

I was thinking of putting a dab of white glue in the vent holes and using anti-fog stuff on the lens. I'll let you know how it works.

6 pair for $20.00 - not bad either way.
Instead of white glue, might want to try Goop or Silicone Sealer (more solid, less chance of it drying up and falling out or leaking). Anti-fog works really good, tho it can make the clear ones, um, streaky depending on the plastic.

I have a pair of glacier glasses I use, with the leather side thingys, and they work pretty well out there during the day... nice and dark, and didn't get badly dusted at all last year.

bb

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Recieved mine in the mail today. The two smaller ones I ordered don't fit and have very large venting holes on the side. Oh well, I'll give them away and could probably plug the holes with tape.

But I'm happy with the three mid size ones I ordered. I think they will work nicely.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:35 pm

Vent holes are fine. You want some ventilation to keep them from fogging up, which leads to you not wear them as often, which leads to crap flying in your eyes. You don't need to completely seal off your eyes, just keep the wind from blowing dust directly into your eye with some velocity. Your eyes are perfectly capable of flushing the occasional bit of dust.

StaticDistance

Post by StaticDistance » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:56 pm

Great find, thanks for sharing. Now I just have to decorate my respirator masks. :D

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm leaving the vent holes on the mid size goggles because they are fine.

But the holes on the smaller goggles I bought are about the size of pencil erasers. Which I don't think would work very well out there.

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Has anybody gotten the large lens goggles? Would you have to do anything to them to make them playa certfied? Anti-fog or tape like cabanasprings was talking about?

It looks as if only the small lens and large lens are available.

It's difficult to tell much about them from the picture, they are airtight except for vent holes?

http://smarteyes2.stores.yahoo.net/largedark.html

I'm looking at the correct goggles right?

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Yeah, just got mine today. They are pretty cool. There are 3 small foward facing vent holes in each side, but are very easy to plug if need be.

Do not get the "bugeye" goggles. You can't tell from the pic, but there are 4 very large vents around the edge of each eye (plus mine wasn't put together all the way around the eye. I might send them back if it's worth it. The lady seemed nice. We'll see.. grrrrrr...)
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Nickel

Post by Nickel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 am

awesome. Thanks for the tip. Just grabbed enough to give some to my group, and gift away the rest!

Edit: The woman just called to switch a small lens to a large lens (as they are all out of the small lenses now it seems, at least one of the models) and she said that if you take a small amount of air conditioner filter and apply it to the inside it should keep out the dust, and that your eyes need the air or they'll dry out =). Just a not for anyone who's interested in their idea for "fixing" the goggles.
"This is not about love, because I am not in love"

Camp Team says, "Go Team!"

virgin

Post by virgin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:10 pm

just got all mine. I think the holes should be fine for the dust. It's the fogging that seems to be the issue. I recommend buying a product called cat crap. you smear it on the lense to stop fogging.
ps - the "large" goggle was the only one that was really comfortable.
and now they have a new one up that looks dope for $3... very bottom.

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:33 pm

But also remember that there is a lot less humidity out there in the desert. I really don't think that fogging will be a problem with anyone. You are probably fogging up when you try them on now because of the general humidity where you live.

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:18 pm

blueniteowl wrote:But also remember that there is a lot less humidity out there in the desert. I really don't think that fogging will be a problem with anyone. You are probably fogging up when you try them on now because of the general humidity where you live.
Or maybe cause I am so excited I was fogging up my glasses?

soundsistym

Post by soundsistym » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:20 am

anyone have recommendations for ladies with little faces? ;]

virgin

Post by virgin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:15 am

blueniteowl wrote:But also remember that there is a lot less humidity out there in the desert. I really don't think that fogging will be a problem with anyone. You are probably fogging up when you try them on now because of the general humidity where you live.
definately 0 hmidity where i live! I'm @ 10,500 ft. It doesn't have to be hot to be dry. I think its your face that produces the moisture. I'm hoping the "cat crap" will do the trick.

How often will I be wearing these anyway? Just in the storms? Or is it always kina dusty?

And is it a BAD idea to bring my nice sunglasses? Or should I hit up Walmart?

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 am

virgin wrote:
definately 0 hmidity where i live! I'm @ 10,500 ft. It doesn't have to be hot to be dry. I think its your face that produces the moisture. I'm hoping the "cat crap" will do the trick.

How often will I be wearing these anyway? Just in the storms? Or is it always kina dusty?

And is it a BAD idea to bring my nice sunglasses? Or should I hit up Walmart?
The fogging is definately from the sweat coming off you.

You'll be wearing sunglasses of some sort all day and the goggles for the frequent dust storms when the wind is blowing (damn near all the time last year).

Only a bad idea to bring the nice sunglasses if you don't care if the get messed up. Buy cheapy pair for the playa. :)
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:19 am

and bring a bandana to cover your nose and mouth.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

RINGMASTER

Post by RINGMASTER » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:58 pm

they also have rain x for windshield interiors for anti fogging.. dunno how glass versus plastic application works but its an idea

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm

capjbadger wrote:Yeah, just got mine today. They are pretty cool. There are 3 small foward facing vent holes in each side, but are very easy to plug if need be.

Do not get the "bugeye" goggles. You can't tell from the pic, but there are 4 very large vents around the edge of each eye (plus mine wasn't put together all the way around the eye. I might send them back if it's worth it. The lady seemed nice. We'll see.. grrrrrr...)
Just an update. The lady who sells these say my post and mailed be two new goggles to make up for the one that was damaged. I didn't even have to ask. Gotta respect that... :)

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:11 pm

soundsistym wrote:anyone have recommendations for ladies with little faces? ;]
a career in doll modelling?

save money on makeup?

masterbrook

Large Lens?

Post by masterbrook » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:08 pm

Did anyone order the Large Lens Mixed Color Glasses (by the dozen)? What do you think? Don't mind getting all the extras if others will think they are worth using. Also don't want to spend $50 and have 12 unusable goggles layin' around...

Let me know what you think...

RINGMASTER

Re: Large Lens?

Post by RINGMASTER » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:08 am

I just put an order in for the yellow lens large ones.. if no one else has gotten back to ya and you still haven't ordered in a few days, I will let you know.

Also got some dark lenses of a different kind, but thought these would be good for the night time and as gifts to new friends I meet seeing as I'll only need 2 of them.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”