ride share wanted, but where is best to go from??

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
designbunny

ride share wanted, but where is best to go from??

Post by designbunny » Tue May 29, 2007 11:59 am

hi there,

I'm F, 28, laid back & friendly. I'm a BM virgin, from the UK, travelling to Black Rock via Canada, Mexico and Ecuador. Travelling about you see - its not just a really strange way to get there!!
Wondering how to get to Black Rock - is it better to fly into LA & get the bus, or fly into Vegas & get the bus, or hire a car?

If anyone wants to share lifts - that would be brill. I can share driving / costs / etc. RV would be great so there's somewhere to sleep, or a big bus :) There was a lift share thing on the BM website, but i can't log in to it.

I enjoy working on practical stuff and being creative & arty, so if anyone wants a hand with BM instillations etc let me know :)

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue May 29, 2007 12:07 pm

If your main concern is getting to the playa quickly and cheaply, fly into Reno. From there you have several options - arrange a rideshare from there, rent a car, find someone else renting a car and share costs, or go to the burner hostel and find a ride from there.

San Francisco is another good alternative - you're much more likely to be able to arrange a rideshare in advance and you can spend a little time checking out the city. It's further, so it will be more expensive and if you need to get a hotel room before/after it will significantly add to the cost.

Vegas and LA are further away, but could work well if you want to spend time in those cities before/after.

The rideshare board doesn't seem to be up yet. The web team is a bit behind this year. It will be back eventually, or if it isn't you can post on Craigslist or here.

mksnowboarder

Post by mksnowboarder » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi.

I'm mike. My friend and I (we're from Jax Beach, FL) will be flying into Reno, arriving around 8:15pm on the 27th. We'll be returning to Reno on either the third or fourth of september.

We're looking for one person or a few people to share the cost of a rental car. I myself, cannot drive, but my friend can. Also, as we are both 20, I do not believe we are capable of renting a car ourselves.

If you would be interested in discussing this further, please contact me at mksnowboarder@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
Mike

DJmoYst

Post by DJmoYst » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:41 am

you like DnB?
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass

mksnowboarder

Post by mksnowboarder » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:32 am

hmm?

DJmoYst

Post by DJmoYst » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 pm

drum and bass

mksnowboarder

Post by mksnowboarder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 am

Indeed, I do.

DJmoYst

Post by DJmoYst » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 pm

thats good to hear, i will be spinning all week, probably not to th caliber you're use to. but im sure you will like...

i will be passing through reno late sunday the 26, and i will have an extra seat, will you be picking up suplies when you land?

mksnowboarder

Post by mksnowboarder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Well, I hope I get a chance to listen. I'm actually just starting to get into it, and I think Burning Man will give me a chance to hear more.

I will have to pick up supplies when I land. There are several stores on the way to BRC, correct?

The only thing is, I will be traveling with my roommate, so I need to figure out some way for us both to get a ride from Reno.

mauiburnerzz

come with us lil playa virgin

Post by mauiburnerzz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:39 pm

my wife and i are mid 30s 5 time burners we are flying from hawaii for burning man this year and seeking1 lady friend to maybe rent a mini van and drive to BlackRockCity . we have all camping gear and essentials needed dont worry about a thing i got it all taken care of. anyway the cheapest way for you is to fly to portland and get a ride or rent a car. next cheapest is fly to sanfrancisco this way is a bit easier and more fun must be free spirited i smoke ...yes i know im trying t oquit...

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 pm

MKSnowboarder:
Everything you need to outfit your trip is in Rneo, but if you can, I'd give it more than just a few hours. It can be nerve wracking because the city is entirely full of burners all buying the same stuff you are. It's pretty fun, too, though, for the very same reason.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Fat SAM wrote:MKSnowboarder:
Everything you need to outfit your trip is in Rneo, but if you can, I'd give it more than just a few hours. It can be nerve wracking because the city is entirely full of burners all buying the same stuff you are. It's pretty fun, too, though, for the very same reason.
I second that. Give yourself a few more hours than you think you'll need. Some places will be out of what you need. Also, it's stating the obvious, but prepare as much as you can ahead of time by researching the various stores you'll need and printing out maps/directions.

And don't worry about the Drum and Bass. It's EVERYWHERE in BRC. Every kind of computer generated thumpa-thumpa-thumpa music exists in abundance (though some of us yearn for some more organic sounds or at least ANY kind of fucking variety at night. Bring back FUNK CAMP!)
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

flipper

Post by flipper » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:34 am

The only bus that will get you on the playa is Green Tortoise from San Francisco.

Otherwise you eventually have to get in a car. Concur that Reno and San Francisco are your best bets.

Sacramento, LA, and Portland are much much longer shots - The Playa is closer to San Fran than to Vegas, and a plurality, if not majority, start from the SF Bay area than anywhere else.
Burning Man is about being part of a community. Unfortunately, it's a community of people who can't get up before 1 p.m. - The Onion

Max

Bus from Reno to BRC Aug 27 and back Sept 3

Post by Max » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:49 pm

I am chartering a bus to Black Rock City, leaving Reno early on Monday, August 27, 2007, and returning early on Monday, September 3 (Labor Day). I am looking for others with whom to share expenses. The deadline for this to get off the ground, that is, to pay for the bus or to cancel the reservation, is August 13.

I figure the cost to be 125 US dollars per person, depending on how many of us travel.

I am blogging the latest details at http://burnbusreno.diaryland.com.

You can contact me at burnbusreno@yahoo.com

Return to “2011 Share Resources”