One ply tissue for porta potties question

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

One ply tissue for porta potties question

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 pm

We all should know that for the porta pottie contractor to not cancel, thus cancelling Burning Man, one ply tissue is the ONLY tissue, as anything else clogs the suck tube and requires the worker to dig down with his hand. Yeah, nice image!

My question is, with so much for both Burning Man and Jonny on the Spot to lose, why is it half the time I use the porta potties there isn't any paper at all?

Doesn't the contractor have a camp right there at Burning Man and wouldn't it be fairly easy to replinish the units (I don't mean a total clean.)

Although philosophically it's nice to think of burners as being self reliant, give me a break that 40,000 are going to stock up on one ply (try even finding it at most super markets!)

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Half the time? I only spotted a pottie with no paper once last year, and I think I may have used them more than 2 times.

Either you were really unlucky, or you're exagerating, or the potties near your camp were unusually busy.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:57 pm

It is not even an issue of one-ply vs two-ply. It is a matter of the paper construction.

If the paper is made predominantly with pulp as opposed to fiber, the tissue will decompose rapidly when it lands in the blue water. If the paper has lots of fiber it has a better chance of clogging

You can go and get two-ply quilted TP from a camping store specifically designed for RV use and it will not clog the pumpers or the processing gear.

Think about it; when I'm forced to use singe-ply paper, I just take twice the length from the roll and double-it-up. I'm sure others do the same.

A better way to explain the quality of the paper: Pulp heavy tissue has a harsh texture and is rough on tender spots. Fiber rich paper tends to be silky smooth and soft.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:16 pm

In 06 I think I always found the porto's well stocked.

karr

Post by karr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 pm

MikeVDS wrote:In 06 I think I always found the porto's well stocked.
I did too. And not just by my camp (Destiny & 9:00) but throughout BRC and through the week. The portos closer to Center Camp were a lot busier but I only saw one porto without TP.
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm

What did people use before toilet paper was invented?

*Newsprint, paper catalogue pages in early US
*Hayballs, Scraper/gompf stick kept in container by the privy in the Middle Ages
*Discarded sheep's wool in the Viking Age, England
*Frayed end of an old anchor cable was used by sailing crews from Spain and Portugal *Medieval Europe- Straw, hay, grass, gompf stick
*Corn cobs, Sears Roebuck catalog, mussel shell, newspaper, leaves, sand- United States
*Water and your left hand, India
*Pages from a book, British Lords
*Coconut shells in early Hawaii
*Lace was used by French Royalty
*Public Restrooms in Ancient Rome- A sponge soaked in salt water, on the end of a stick
*The Wealthy in Ancient Rome-Wool and Rosewater
*French Royalty-lace, hemp
*Hemp & wool were used by the elite citizens of the world
*Defecating in the river was very common internationally
*Bidet, France
*Snow and Tundra Moss were used by early Eskimos

care of http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/enc ... nfacts.htm
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

DoctorIknow

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:21 pm

I'm happy for everyone who had less frequently used banks of porta potties. However, for the sake of the topic of this thread, it doesn't matter where you were, it doesn't matter where I was...all of the four nearest banks near our camp ran out MANY times and I'm assuming things other than one ply were used after the JOS paper ran out.

Again: with the future of ability of Burning Man to operate dependent on a porta pottie supplier, why should entire banks of units be out for 6 to 8 hour periods of time?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:26 pm

Oh, people have been known to steal the extra rolls. You want to come up with a solution for TP theft? I've never figured it out myself. No matter how much paper is supplied, there will be portos with none. I've used a freshly stocked potty and used it again after a short time and all three rolls were gone. Off the holder and the spare. Not used, but taken. Used would have filled the hole and it was barely splashed in. I've also seen entire rolls dropped in, so I figure there's some real assholes out there.

Not saying TP isn't a problem, just wanted to point out there's more at issue than how often burners wipe their asses.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:40 pm

What did people use before?

Not sure, but I know that in many shitters in the middle east there are shitty poopie finger streaks on the walls and floors in bathrooms, paricularly where there are squat toilets.

I have used socks when faced with no alternative. The cardboard roller can be torn and used in a pinch as well,

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:44 pm

it doesn't matter where you were, it doesn't matter where I was...all of the four nearest banks near our camp ran out MANY times and I'm assuming things other than one ply were used after the JOS paper ran out.
It actually matters very much. Where were the ones that ran out? What times did you use them? If problems are to be addressed, details need to be given. Like myself and a few others who've chimed in, there hasn't been a problem that we've noticed. I know we have some people who work hard to make the porto potties work who frequent these boards. If you give specifics it's much more likely that someone will look into your specific problem. Without specifics, if most of them worked well most of the time, there is not much anyone can do.

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm

I might suggest checking out this thread...

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

And if you are so inclined, you could volunteer to help replenish the supply with miss RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project

p.s. Eeeew on the photo - fine if some place doesn't have the same type of plumbing facilites - but who's brilliant idea was it to paint that tile a rusty brown color....????

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:41 pm

is it just me or is this topic turning shitty?

Bwaaahahaahha!

Return to “2011 Share Resources”