Playa gifts, ideas and suggestions......

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
hsdavis

Playa gifts, ideas and suggestions......

Post by hsdavis » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Several years back, a playa friend handed me a fistfull of plastic trinkets that were given to her as gifts. I quickly disposed of this worthless crap and vowed that I would only give gifts that burners would want and appreciate. Useful and unique things are my favorite, but I would love to hear other ideas.
Here is a short list of things I have brought to give away: flashlight necklaces, chapstick, bike locks, rubber stamps of man, partial toilet paper rolls, english muffins, sunblock, lots of vodka & olives.

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:22 pm

Hugs are great gifts. Cheap too.
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Bring a few nice gifts and give them to those you'd really like to. When you hand out a bunch of junk, it's not appreciated. Keep things on hand that you appreciate and if you see someone in need, share.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:00 pm

I handed some of our Terminal City patches last year to one TCers and did not realize how well received they would be. Patches are expensive to have made though.

I am giving serious thought to black rock pendants. I have a couple of rocks I brought back with me and I wrapped one with copper wire and left a loop at the top for a cord. Very quick and easy necklace to assemble on the fly as you are walking around.

Scout13

Post by Scout13 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:13 am

Myself, I make necklaces out of rocks to give out at the burn. These do take time and a lot of thought. I also think a lot about who get them. The people in my camp, the guy in 2006 who let me watch him spray paint the side of the Sugar Cube, the Greeters who rolled my best friend in the playa dust because he was a BM virgin…..I don’t just give these out to anyone.

I think it best to give things from the heart….what ever form that may take.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 pm

I always found $2 bills to be excellent gifts.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:57 pm

I am guilty of handing out plastic trinkets. I make these little handmade pendants that are, in a way, related to the theme for that year. I handed out around 80 of these this year and everyone who got one seemed to enjoy them. There was only one or two people that I offered them to who did not accept them (the response being, "I have enough schwag"). Personally, I wear a trinket from BM everyday as a reminder to keep the playa-spirit going all year. I really don't see anything wrong with trinkets as long as they are interesting and hand-made (or at least an original design/idea).

Some campmates of mine this year even spent hours helping to untangle the mess of necklaces that I brought so they obviously meant something to someone.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Scout13

Post by Scout13 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 pm

I got my wedding ring as a gift at Burning Man. I had destroyed my wedding ring in a work accident. The ring had to be cut off my finger, but it did save my finger from being broken. So, for over a year I didn’t have a wedding ring. At the burn in 2001 we took a cotton candy machine out to the playa. We started by making cotton candy for the camps around us. About a block form where we camped I walked into this camp and offered these two guys some cotton candy. They both took some and said thanks….as I walked out of their camp one of the guys stopped me. He picked up a black velvet bag and dumped a bunch of hand made silver rings in the chair he was sitting in and said, “One of those is yours.â€

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 am

BitterDan wrote:I am guilty of handing out plastic trinkets. I make these little handmade pendants that are, in a way, related to the theme for that year. I handed out around 80 of these this year and everyone who got one seemed to enjoy them. There was only one or two people that I offered them to who did not accept them (the response being, "I have enough schwag"). Personally, I wear a trinket from BM everyday as a reminder to keep the playa-spirit going all year. I really don't see anything wrong with trinkets as long as they are interesting and hand-made (or at least an original design/idea).

Some campmates of mine this year even spent hours helping to untangle the mess of necklaces that I brought so they obviously meant something to someone.
I was refering to things like cheap plastic whistles and plastic puzzles from a vending machine that I disposed of. Any type of handmade gift is always appreciated and accepted. Since items with the BM logo can never be sold, it's nice when something like a shot glass is gifted by someone who may have produced it at their business, or had a friend make it up.
I was given a small glass bottle filled with playa dust and made into a necklace many years ago and I always keep that nearby. I also got a small tube of foot cream to ease the playa-foot problem. Things that we may find as surplus in a store or in our travels at a flea market may really be appreciated.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm

I have one of those little bottles of playa dust on a string too, and it hangs on the wall by my front door.

Here's some easy, low-effort but much-appreciated ideas:

Booze has long been the quick easy answer for playa gifting, and even if you'd rather do something original, I still recommend bringing a few bottles for the DPW people. They really love it when you drop a fresh bottle on 'em. Pass a few to them during the DPW parade, or on your way out the gate.

One of the next most appreciated gifts on-playa is little blinky lights to wear. Everyone needs blinkies.

Extra basic staples like rolls of duct tape or sunglasses can be like gold at the right moment.

You can't go wrong with bacon!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm

CapSmashy wrote:I handed some of our Terminal City patches last year to one TCers and did not realize how well received they would be. Patches are expensive to have made though.
CapSmashy, I got one of those from our friends at The B(o)(o)by Bar! (It's so rad, orange reflective vinyl, tagged it to my pack. Stylish &functional :wink: )
Small, pocketable gifts are nice, as some people don't have means to carry larger items back to camp. Handed out poster sized drawings made out in the dust, but a couple couldn't carry them. Just had them write their playa address on the back and delievered it the next day. Great mix CD's are cool from people and open's you up, and metal necklaces are a hit. Nothing, though, (and I mean n o t h i n g) is more important than giving or receiving free-will, time, or simply conversation or walks that engrave memories :D ...
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 am

The best playa gift I ever heard of was a "MOOP String"

Simple and brilliant.

A piece of string that you tie to your belt loop and when you come across a piece of moop you pick it up and tie a knot around it using the MOOP String and then at the end of the week you have your own one of a kind playa gift that will surely be cherished for years.

Rainbow Colored Moop String (Patent Pending)
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:10 am

CLARKcon wrote:CapSmashy, I got one of those from our friends at The B(o)(o)by Bar! (It's so rad, orange reflective vinyl, tagged it to my pack. Stylish &functional :wink: )
Those were the reflective tags (that totally rocked) made by Nick, this years mayor.

I am talking about these guys:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Who made the name tags? Because "Miracle Train Baby" totally rocks.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BReilly

Post by BReilly » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 am

I found instuctions that tell you which chemicals to soak pinecones in, so you get nifty colors when they burn.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Who made the name tags? Because "Miracle Train Baby" totally rocks.
The dog tags?

Espresso Dude.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:41 pm

No, these are embroidered name tags. I have four, "The Cryptofishist" "Booby Bar" "Miracle Train Baby" and I forget the forth. Treasure them. They are like on a soldier's uniform. I didn't get dog tags. *sniff*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:26 am

theCryptofishist wrote:No, these are embroidered name tags. I have four, "The Cryptofishist" "Booby Bar" "Miracle Train Baby" and I forget the forth. Treasure them. They are like on a soldier's uniform. I didn't get dog tags. *sniff*
Hmmm... I'm not sure who did those but they sound great. :)

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:48 pm

I gifted about 25 flashlights to darkwads at night that seem to be everywhere last year.

They came from the 66 cent store. Looked like they could recharge
by shaking which moves a magnet thru a coil of wire.

OTOH a guy at my work says they are fake. The coil in not connected.
More inspection needed.

They're cheap and a life test on 2 showed they'ed light the LED for
30 hrs or more. Adequate for a week of BM.

:idea: :idea:

PatfromOre

Post by PatfromOre » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm

I handed out ice cream sandwiches out in front of our camp at 6th & Freashwater, Saturday about 1:00. Everbody sure seemed to enjoy them.. :D

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:24 pm

I gave out showers - Id like to gift more booze at our bar this year, making it public and am looking for something a little more tangible. Coins, patches, medallions are all cool.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:13 pm

While dropping some passengers off from my MV I did some joking over the PA about gifts being accepted and thank yous appreciated. I made a joke about hippie gifts like string bracelets etc not being needed. This one guy (hippie) went to get off and said, here's a hippie gift for you. It was a hand made ceramic medalion about two inches round with the Man, BM07 and a couple of other marks on it. It still hangs on my rear view mirror next to the cheap rubber bracelet, BM06 charm bracelet and the two clothes pins with bottle caps glued to them with camp logos inside. The medalion definatly out shines the schwag from 06.

Last year my MV gave out condoms and a bedroom for people to use.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am

BReilly wrote:I found instuctions that tell you which chemicals to soak pinecones in, so you get nifty colors when they burn.
That's similar to what I was thinking. It burns, it delights, it leaves no MOOP.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Ive always been fond of gifted blowjobs

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:35 pm

what about smallish shwag pouches on a string, to hang around your neck? (Tub o' fabric scraps waiting for a project :P ) Besides booze donations. :D ha ha Oh and I appreciate a good "b.j." gift also. hey is it called a b.j. for a girl? :?

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:46 am

twinwitin wrote:what about smallish shwag pouches on a string, to hang around your neck?
Are you making them yourself? Leather? People that work with leather can make beautiful things.
twinwitin wrote:..... Oh and I appreciate a good "b.j." gift also. hey is it called a b.j. for a girl? :?
Ok, I'll bite, is it? (who really wants a BLOW job?? because a good blow job, sucks...)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:42 am

I will be making them myself, but mostly out of fabric scraps from dresses I have made for the sca. I haven't ever worked with leather, I know people who do and their work is art. :D

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:20 pm

twinwitin wrote:I will be making them myself, but mostly out of fabric scraps from dresses I have made for the sca. I haven't ever worked with leather, I know people who do and their work is art. :D
Your gifts will have the value that you give them through your investment in love. A little "swag bag" might not be a bad idea. And, since I am so full of!! suggestions, have you thought of using your old panties?? Humm well scented... could be very nice..

oooh ooooh ooooh... now you got me thinking of breathing masks made from panties...hang it below your chin around your neck till the dust kicks up. then bam... nice soft silky.... (maybe a little saying printed, like "this use to cover ass")
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 pm

I picked up at a rock, gem, mineral show a big bag of quartz crystal points... they were a big hit.... gave them out for several years. BUT when I ran out of them I swore that I'd never do that again... they were so heavy to carry around.

Other years I picked up a bunch of beautiful glass beads and made necklaces that had one beauty hanging down as a pendant... that worked out better.... except the strings kept getting tangled up.

This year I'm thinking of designing and printing out some BM money... hey it's part of the american dream.... any thoughts on the concept?
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm

I have assorted BM bills, and a Karmic Kard sticker. Love 'em!

Return to “2011 Share Resources”