Sun Shield UVI Tarps?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
bdeywoo

Sun Shield UVI Tarps?

Post by bdeywoo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my camps overhead shade tarp. In the past we have used a 25x40 90% black mesh shade screen its nice but it lets way too much UV . After last year I decided i wanted to try to find something a bit better......

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 3_11290213

[quote]"Sunshield silver/black silver UVI tarps are our best selling, general purpose, heavy duty tarp. It works great as a hay tarp, tractor and truck tarp, material and RV cover, pool cover, roof tarp, building tarp, boat cover or fumigation tarp. This silver/black tarp is heavy duty and will last much longer than your typical roof tarp.

Specs: 6 oz per sq. yard, 1000 denier, 14x14 weave, 12 mil., rust free grommets every 18 inches, plastic reinforced corners, bolt roping in the hem and heat sealed seams."[/quote]

This looks to be the best of both worlds, UV blockage as well as an added source to soak up a bit of heat with the black underside. Has anyone had much experience with these? How do they hold up to wind?
http://www.mayohardware.com.au/products ... hield1.htm

[quote]Product Highlights

Polytuf's Sunshield Silver/Black Tarps are very rugged
and designed for use under continuous outdoor
exposure.
Sunshield is made with Black High Density Woven Fabric along with UVI Treated Coatings on both sides to provide extended life in the sunlight. In addition, using Sunshield with the Reflective Silver Side up will divert both heat and ultraviolet light, while using the black side up will absorb heat and divert ultraviolet light.
Both sides are Heat and Cold Resistant. Sunshield is also an excellent Sunblock Fabric.
The Tarps include Patented Molded Reinforced Corners, Rustproof Grommets every 46cm and Bolt Rope Hems to provide dependable Tiedown Points.
Heavy Duty Polythene Bags
Colour Coded Inserts

Features

Polytuf Silver/Black UV resistant range
96% stronger than Forest Green Tarp
Ideal for continuous outdoor exposure
Extended life even in strong sunlight
Silver sided to reflect heat/ Back sided to absorb heat
Both sides are heat and cold resistant
14X14 Woven high density polyethylene weave
205 gms/sqm
32% Heavier than Forest Green tarp
Heavy duty molded platstic reinforced corners
Double stitched seams with rope reinforced hem
Rust free grommets about every 46cm
Available in 32 sizes
12 Months guarantee

Benefits

Improved strength over Blue and Forest Green tarp
Eyelets can accommodate up to 12mm diameter rope
Waterproof
Tear Resistant
Non-shrink
Withstands low temperature down to -29°C
Less stress on each eyelet due to close pitch
Rope reinforced edges for extra strength
Easier to keep taught
UPF rating 50+ Maximum Protection
Mildew Resistant
Washable
Longer Life
Under-cover Temperature Control[/quote]

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Nobody huh?

I'll give a report when i get them and test them out!

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:29 pm

sorry i know nothing about them. Sounds interesting though, do follow up.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Gravity Mike

Post by Gravity Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Aluminet. It's awesome.

Gravity Mike

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 am

Silvicool may be the same as 100% aluminet.

Black releases heat as readily as it absorbs it.

Blocking infrared is definitely the way to go.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:33 am

I bought 70% block aluminet. It is mylar mesh, and has not so much as a small tear in it, after using it the last two years. Really holds up in wind, and allows critical ventilation. It had to be 15-20 degrees cooler under the aluminet. I bought a 13 X 21 sheet for $100, the green house supply store shipped it to me in about a week.

(2006 order)

(SC-A70-21) Shade Cloth - Aluminet 70% 21 ft std width ($6.93) X 13 = $90.09
--------------
Total = $90.09
Shipping & Handling (see note below) = $14.43
Grand Total = $104.52

It clearly will not keep dust out, nor rain, but it really makes a very pleasant shade, with no heat radiating off of the underside.
http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/equipment/aluminet.htm

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

last year our camp, Hole Camp, came up with an innovative way to beat the heat. We rented a Bobcat with backhoe attachment and dug out a 25' by 25' pit 8 feet deep and set up camp down there. We covered the top with a dome. Stayed cool the entire event.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm

So where did you store that 185 cy of playa you dug up? Did you run into any mammoth bones? I heard a lot of them died a la Africa watering hole style out on the various mucky lake beds as Lake Bonneville et al dried up post Ice Age. Find any Jackalope horns?

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:44 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:So where did you store that 185 cy of playa you dug up?
most of it we stuffed in envelopes and mailed from the BRC post office to our friends back home. Some of it we used to fill sand bags at Apokoliptika.

I found a mammoth bone, but it was in my shortz! :?

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Front side or back side?

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Well i recieved them a couple of days ago, they are NOT very breathable. I am now a bit skeptical as to their claim its cooler buy 10 degrees if no wind can circulate through it.
They are sturdy though, I hope to head out to the playa in the next month or so to try them out but my expectations are now less than before.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am

chiefdanfox wrote:I bought 70% block aluminet. It is mylar mesh, and has not so much as a small tear in it, after using it the last two years. Really holds up in wind, and allows critical ventilation. It had to be 15-20 degrees cooler under the aluminet. I bought a 13 X 21 sheet for $100, the green house supply store shipped it to me in about a week.
Would you recommend finishing the edges in any way? Or are they already pretty solid/anti-fray?

Thanks,
PEZ
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 am

I was also wondering if this stuff can be sewn with a standard sewing machine.
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I think it might be too much for a standard machine to sew.

Anyone have any experience with helix or double helix earth anchors out on the playa?

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Without a doubt the BEST tarps I've ever used on the playa.
Very much rec them to anyone, 8 18 inch rebars on the 25x50 held up through all winds and never once had to re adjust anything. They are a bit loud if you dont bungy them to keep taught but well worthy of multiple trips out to BM.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:11 pm

How did it do for reflection?

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Reflection was GREAT. The only drawback to the tarps are within 1-6 inches of the underside heat radiates like no other! So you want it well above head room. We had a 20x40 90% shade cloth over another part of camp and my tarp easily was 10 degrees cooler. I set mine up as an A frame type structure with my carport as the support. Next to (not inside)the carport were the couches and with that set up as long as you were sitting on the couch or short you didnt need a spray bottle or anything to keep comfortable. it was not cool, but far better than the shade cloth and no more expensive.

I started out the week only with the rebar and quickly realized because its not breathable i had to bungy the sides down to keep the "sail" effect down.

Misti
Burning Since: 2008

Tarp

Post by Misti » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 pm

We used a 30 x 40 Sun Sheld tarp to shade our RV, The first day we were there it was not set up and it was hot enough to kick us out in the morning before we were ready to get up.

The day we set it up it was very nice inside, we had the neighbors coming over to hang out because it was so much cooler then theirs.

The top of our RV has a toolbox and the AC unit which holds the tarp up off of it, we had the front and back of the tarp attached to the bumpers and the sides were staked out at an angle which gave us some shade to sit under. The bottom side of it does feel hot if you touch it, but it didnt radiate down to sitting level.

It let the wind go under the tarp this way, and it held up well.
The only problems we had were one of the rope holes built in was placed a little close to the edge of the tarp and pulled through a little but it held fine because of the rope they sew into the edge, and the corner of the toolbox we had it resting on rubbed through the foam we put down as a buffer and then made a hole in the tarp, but it did not spread like the cheap tarps will.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”