Looking for a PARACHUTE...

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Greenltdistrict

Looking for a PARACHUTE...

Post by Greenltdistrict » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Last year we found a company selling parachutes and camping gear the name was "sports..." something....I thought it was "sportsmanswarehouse" but that isn't it...I believe it's only online...any guesses let me know please! Otherwise...anyone know where to find a LARGE parachute? Did an online search but have not found what I'm looking for (ie, relatively inexspensive)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Google search for "cargo parachute" has lots of 64' chutes for under $75.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 am

The website you're thinkin of is likely sportsmansguide.com

Ebay is also a good place to look.

Expect to pay about thirty bucks for a 20-30 ft. and up to a hundred bucks for the bigger ones depending on condition.

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:42 am

Greenlt,

Your location says "LA" which could be Louisiana or Los Angeles.

If you're in Los Angeles, there's an army/navy supply (SUPPLY SGT) in Burbank which has TONS of parachutes to pick through. Just the savings on shipping alone should make it more attractive than buying a used para online.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:07 pm

You're probably looking for http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ . We purchased one of our parachutes from there. Just remember that a 32' dia. parachute does not fit a 32' dia. dome.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Our first dome died a very unhappy death 2 days in, in 2000. Why? Parachute. Dome 2.0 we decided to use a new fabric, this time a hot air balloon top. This worked very well. We cut half moon air flaps every where and in general we survived very nicely. We combined that with a material called Botex, same stuff tennis court nets are made of. That gave some see through ability and uv protection at the same time.

I personally would stay away from parachute for coverage. Tends to create very nice air pockets, for dome caving in goodness. If you do use parachute for your covering, have a knife posted near by, in one of those "Break me in case of emergency" boxes. If 70+ mph winds come, you can quickly cut the tie downs. As well, do not skimp on rebaring the dome down. In 2000, all week long I was convinced that the rebar was going to come up and the dome was going to be tossed into the air like a paper cup, smashing burners. Not good.

The tighter the skin+air circulation = the better

For the balloon dome top. you can get those at a Hot air balloon certification/repair station, possibly for free, try this place http://www.balloonexcelsior.com/ The basic gist is, if a balloon is deemed uncertifiable from age or what ever, the certification people are required to destroy the balloon, so places like this have lots of balloon material in all colors available. I believe this is the place we got ours, when it used to be in oakland, the owner is a burner.

T.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Great tip with the balloon tops, but I beg to differ about:
Our first dome died a very unhappy death 2 days in, in 2000. Why? Parachute.
I'm guessing it died because of too weak a structure. Thicker struts or higher frequency probably would have saved the dome. I like things strong, not just barley strong enough to hold up if you use the right material, so mileage will vary. :twisted:
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:05 pm

MikeVDS wrote:Great tip with the balloon tops, but I beg to differ about:
Our first dome died a very unhappy death 2 days in, in 2000. Why? Parachute.
I'm guessing it died because of too weak a structure. Thicker struts or higher frequency probably would have saved the dome. I like things strong, not just barley strong enough to hold up if you use the right material, so mileage will vary. :twisted:
Yup, first dome was a 2v dome, 2.0 a 4v. I'd chalk it off to lower frequency if it had not been for the fact that I was seeing alot of caved in domes of higher frequency that year. In general 2000 was a nasty year, windy as hell and barely any sunshine all week long. As a rule, be ready for any kind of weather, if you are using parachute prepare for big winds, cuz the playa gods will make that happen just to keep you honest.

T.

Greenltdistrict

Post by Greenltdistrict » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:43 pm

MAN!! I love this place!! Thank you for the information. We just got another dome and (like you figured) we are trying to cover it. The new one is 3v and after a few things we saw last year, we were planning to cut holes a plenty from the jump...checking out the balloon tops now. THANKS AGAIN!! :D

Return to “2011 Share Resources”