I NEED 2000 GAL OF WATER

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:35 am

Fletcher, dude, wake the fuck up. Put down the bong and pick up your telephone, Call information, Reno Nevada, United Rental, United Site Services. If those names don't work call any rental outfit in Reno and you will though your own efforts find your way. dude you deserved to be bitch slapped, in a gentle loving way.

Your desire to bring, (put whatever you want here, perhaps fountain) is fantastic. I am suire your efforts will be worth it. Enjoy, I look forward to seeing you and your creation.

I'm sure someone has a pic of one of those United Rental Pick up trucks at Black Rock City, those people rock, they have a camp in center camp. And the art they do also rocks, big time)

(and again Simon nails it from all the way across the country. Hey, tickle the clowns, literally)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:42 am

Tiahaar wrote:
FLETCHER wrote:Realy folks, thanks for you input. Now that I look back on it, I must say.. You have truely made my day. But I don't think I'll be check back here for a month or two.
excellent! maybe you'll not notice I didn't bother to photoshop in another name on this nice poster borrowed from the internetty!
---
and if you read between the lines most folks actually gave some good tips! and Bob rules.
I saved that picture. MY GOD that is awesome. I have a few people that I know who need to use this as a business card.

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 am

Bob is so much more then JUST a couch.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:55 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 am

That's going back a few years! Can you even do that these days? Though I did notice last year, I think, somebody had a slip and slide setup.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 am

Shirley, what's stopping you?

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 am

Don't know, really...I guess I was thinking scarring the playa and grey water and health risks and BM rules?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:10 pm

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Words to live by....

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:04 pm

The surplus yard in Oroville ca sells those totes that 'Old Guy' was talking about. They hold 330 gallons, and are the footprint size of a pallet, if your going to load them on the truck from the bay area on the other thread.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Cassidy

Coupl'a things:

Post by Cassidy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:16 pm

United Rental and United Site Services are NOT the same company. Thot y'all should know in case you didn't already.

And... that's a heckuva lotta water... Wouldn't it take an 18-wheeler to bring that much at once? Good luck getting them to drive it out onto the playa fully loaded!! 'Specially if it's like it was last year!

And... I think I saw a slip-n-slide thingy two years ago at the Duck Pond?

...t h r e a d

d r i f t...

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Let me see if I can translate Bob for you because he really is a wealth of information.

Bob wrote:You know, they make fountains that barely use a gallon or two of chocolate.
Goes great with bacon.

Bringing a fountain to burning man would be like bringing a chocolate fountain by the time it fills with playa dust and people peeing in it.

Bob wrote:So Fletcher, do you believe *anything* should be readily available for the right price at Burning Man, without question? Would you expect *not* to be questioned about health department concerns or other impacts for any project involving thousands of gallons of water? Did you include this fountain in your theme camp submittal, and if so what was the response?

I've been involved in a few past projects that involved hundreds to thousands of gallons of water -- a decade ago, before the health department clamped down and threatened to close the event over a "simple" fountain -- and before the site crew and theme camp department had a number of unfortunate experiences with people being extremely careless about such projects in general. If the theme camp department did give a blank okay for this, all I have to say is their institutional memory ain't what it used to be.

No translation needed here.

Bob wrote:So much for the Socratic method?

Look where it got Socrates.
The Socratic Method (or Method of Elenchus or Socratic Debate), named after the Classical Greek philosopher Socrates, is a form of philosophical inquiry in which the questioner explores the implications of others' positions, to stimulate rational thinking and illuminate ideas.[1] This dialectical method often involves an oppositional discussion in which the defense of one point of view is pitted against another; one participant may lead another to contradict himself in some way, strengthening the inquirer's own point.
Socrates began to engage in such discussions with his fellow Athenians after his friend from youth, Chaerephon, visited the Oracle of Delphi, which confirmed Socrates to be the wisest man in Athens. Socrates saw this as a paradox, and began utilizing the Socratic method in order to answer his conundrum. Diogenes Laertius, however, wrote that Protagoras invented the “Socraticâ€

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Pi X R(R)X D=Cubic Feet of tank X 7.47= US Gallons
e.g.
3.14 X 6.25 (5' diameter tank) X 4'=79 CuFt X 7.47 = 590 gallons
This is a standard hippie-type redwood hot tub dimension. So to get 2,000 gallons one would need nearly four tanks that size, or probably about what 1 1/2 of the street sprayers hold, guessing. 17,000 lbs. 17,000 GIGGLY lbs. Plus a few Pinkertons with nightsticks to whack all the hippies away from your tanks.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:56 pm

And don't brake your truck suddenly -- a hippie might get a headache.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:37 pm

oh GREAT!

NOW what the fuck am i going to do with all this jello?

i can pawn the marshmellows, but jesus christ, do you know how hard it is to move bulk gelatin?

not an easy sell, let me tell you...

bring the fucking water Fletch. Bring IT!
Frida Be You & Me

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 pm

No, No, NOooooooo!!! I really had a craving for ambrosia!

zzbottom

TO FLETCHER

Post by zzbottom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 am

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN YOU ON THIS PROJECT. I AM A CHEMIST WITH NEARLY 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN WATER PURIFICATION. I HAVE WORKED IN AFRICA ON PROJECTS TO TAKE THE VILEST RIVER WATER AND TURN IT INTO DRINKING WATER. THE PROJECT ACTUALLY RESULTED IN COMMERCIAL PROJECTS LIKE DESANI. ALTHOUGH THEY DO NOT START WITH THE VILEST RIVER WATER.

I ALREADY HAVE THE FILTRATION EQUIPMENT, PUMPS AND A 20 TON WATER TRUCK. YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 2000 GALLONS TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE. PEOPLE COULD BATH IN THE OVER-SPILL OF THE FOUNTAIN TO CLEAN OFF AS IT ENTERS TH EFILTERTRATION AND THE EFFLUENT FROM WOULD BE DRINKABLE.

YOU COULD MADE JELLO OUT OF IT. TOSS IN SOME FRUIT (NOT FAIRIES). MAYBE A FEW NUTS (NOT BURNERS). OH WHAT THE HELL, PUT SOME FAIRIES AND BURNERS IN IT TOO.

I HOPE THIS IS MORE HELPFUL THAN SOCRATES WAS . IT IS CALLED ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING, OR HELPING WITH THE SOLUTION. SOCRATES WAS A LIP FLIPPER THAT NEVER ACTUALLY DID ANYTHING HIMSELF.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:21 am

Let me guess -- you're also a civil servant seeking to move funds out of Nigeria, and you need our bank account numbers.

wedeliver

Re: TO FLETCHER

Post by wedeliver » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:35 am

zzbottom wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN YOU ON THIS PROJECT. I AM A CHEMIST WITH NEARLY 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN WATER PURIFICATION. I HAVE WORKED IN AFRICA ON PROJECTS TO TAKE THE VILEST RIVER WATER AND TURN IT INTO DRINKING WATER. THE PROJECT ACTUALLY RESULTED IN COMMERCIAL PROJECTS LIKE DESANI. ALTHOUGH THEY DO NOT START WITH THE VILEST RIVER WATER.

I ALREADY HAVE THE FILTRATION EQUIPMENT, PUMPS AND A 20 TON WATER TRUCK. YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 2000 GALLONS TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE. PEOPLE COULD BATH IN THE OVER-SPILL OF THE FOUNTAIN TO CLEAN OFF AS IT ENTERS TH EFILTERTRATION AND THE EFFLUENT FROM WOULD BE DRINKABLE.

YOU COULD MADE JELLO OUT OF IT. TOSS IN SOME FRUIT (NOT FAIRIES). MAYBE A FEW NUTS (NOT BURNERS). OH WHAT THE HELL, PUT SOME FAIRIES AND BURNERS IN IT TOO.

I HOPE THIS IS MORE HELPFUL THAN SOCRATES WAS . IT IS CALLED ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING, OR HELPING WITH THE SOLUTION. SOCRATES WAS A LIP FLIPPER THAT NEVER ACTUALLY DID ANYTHING HIMSELF.
Can you turn urine into drinking water? Like the equipment they just put on the ISS.

It might sound gross but to demonstrate the technology would be very artistic and evolutionary.

Working with the county health department there might be a way to get an allowable public bathing area.

Bob or someone correct me, but is the reason we don't have the public pools anymore is the health dept says the water can't be kept clean? (I say public pools in a very loose way, but swimming on the playa was a real trip)

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

falk

Post by falk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 am

FLETCHER wrote: However Bob has laid down the law
Oh, don't be so snarky, he's just a nobody like the rest of us, entitled to his opinion.

BTW, I don't think there's any rule against buying and selling things at Burning Man. What there is is a rule against "vending". That is, they don't want people setting up tee-shirt shops and souvenir stands.

BradTem once came up with a list of 12 or 13 things you can legally buy at Burning Man. Coffee & Ice are two obvious items, but another is RV servicing, including the purchasing of water.

zzbottom

Post by zzbottom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 am

Yes, you can turn piss and worse into drinking water. Other than glaciers and some springs, all water has some piss in it. Every municipality in this country takes some piss in from its source. Mmmmm good! Actually, urine from a healthy person is bacteria free and relatively safe as compared to river water that fas some feces in it. Feces bad.

Putting a bunch of filthy burners in one tub is somewhat problematic. If burners showered in the over-flow before it entered the filters, they could then enter the pool safely with minimal concern. They would have to refrain from eliminating any waste in the pool, and would have to wash their naughty parts in the shower though. I think you might have to have trained technicians scrub them down first. Bend over and spread. Any volunteers for technicians?

I would perform water quality checks frequently, and if the water isn't clean, nobody can go in. This could be enforced by applying a non-lethal, but painful voltage to the water. Mmmmm voltage. This could also be used to terminate psychotic episodes.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 am

Did I say anything in particular was verboten, or simply imply that some things have the potential to be really stupid?

Um, Falk? Does your Winnebago have 2000 gallon tanks and a "fountain"? If so, pls contact Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, c/o House Harkonnen, Planet Arrakis -- he wants his RV back.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 am

jkisha wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:
They might deliver water too

they do.....

now run along, you bother me kid.

You're being too nice.

JK
here here! :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

zzbottom

MY

Post by zzbottom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am

MY APOLOGIES TO SOCRATES (AND BOB). I LOVED PHILOSOPHY IN COLLEGE. IT'S JUST WHEN YOU HAVE FOUR MONTHS TO UNDERTAKE A SIZABLE PROJECT, YOU HAVE PUSH THE PHILOSOPHY TO THE BACKGROUND AND GO WITH THE ENGINEERS. PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY FACED THE MANY PROBLEMS AND FOUND SOLUTIONS.

I HOPE BOB WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THIS DISCUSSION AND FEEL FREE TO MAKE ANY REMARK HE WISHES, THOUGHT I DOUBT THAT I COULD STOP HIM. I AM SURE BE WILL BE OF SERVICE.

WHERE'S FLETCHER? IF FLETCHER DOES NOT RETURN FROM LICKING HIS WOUNDS FOR A MONTH, WE MIGHT HAVE TO UNDERTAKE THIS PROJECT WITHOUT HIM. ANYONE INTERESTED? SEVERAL OF YOU SEEM TO BE VALUABLE RESOURCES. I THINK SOMEONE NEEDS TO PRESENT THIS TO THE ADMINISTRATION RIGHT AWAY.

now run along, you bother me kid.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 am

BradTem once came up with a list of 12 or 13 things you can legally buy at Burning Man. Coffee & Ice are two obvious items, but another is RV servicing, including the purchasing of water.
4. the D.P.W.
5. anything in gerlach, for the right price.
6. washoe county sheriffs
7. flea collars
8. time-shares for bruno's
9. diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate
10. videos of girls gone wild at the deep end
11. videos of guys gone wild at the deep end
12. used glo-sticks.
Frida Be You & Me

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 am

zzbottom wrote:... all water has some piss in it. ....

..........Putting a bunch of filthy burners in one tub is somewhat problematic. If burners showered in the over-flow before it entered the filters, they could then enter the pool safely with minimal concern. They would have to refrain from eliminating any waste in the pool, and would have to wash their naughty parts in the shower though. I think you might have to have trained technicians scrub them down first. Bend over and spread. Any volunteers for technicians?

I would perform water quality checks frequently, and if the water isn't clean, nobody can go in. This could be enforced by applying a non-lethal, but painful voltage to the water. Mmmmm voltage. This could also be used to terminate psychotic episodes.

I have 50 acres, my well is 400 feet, I draw water from 320'. The well is up hill from the septic system and 400 feet apart. Not really any neighbors, no industry. How expensive is it to check for piss? We do monthly checks for Total and Fecal Coliform, never had any.

besides that, there are public swimming pools everywhere. I would expect that the rules are no different. Naturally a shower prior to getting in the water is a good thing. No soap though, just get the dirt off. I want a fucking swimming pool big enough for 50 people at Black Rock City this year.

At 10 minutes each, thats over 7000 people per day.

(i can dream can't i)

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 am

4. the D.P.W.
7. flea collars
12. used glo-sticks.

Will they deliver? .....with this package

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

Here’s the thing ….it has to do with having real experience in this desert.
Knowing that most people don’t… you try to point out the downfalls they will very likely experience.
Knowing the end result can be bad if a placement is not handled correctly.
You try to point them out.

From what I know about Bob, He’s a snarky old fucker but he knows more than most people about the Black Rock Desert.

So I tend to listen to what he says.

Just don’t put this thing near my camp.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 am

MozyBonz wrote:
4. the D.P.W.
7. flea collars
12. used glo-sticks.

yeah, they will.......just watch for the Ryder truck pulling into your driveway.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 am

ygmir wrote:
MozyBonz wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote: 4. the D.P.W.
7. flea collars
12. used glo-sticks.

yeah, they will.......just watch for the Ryder truck pulling into your driveway.....

NOOOOOO!!!!! Not my drive way..... I'll give you an address.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”