Empire Store AND Gasoline Station ARE OPEN!!!

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
mykidsdaddy

Empire Store AND Gasoline Station ARE OPEN!!!

Post by mykidsdaddy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi! Just a quick post to let everyone know the Empire Store is now (as of 30 minutes ago) able to sell gasoline!!! Yay!!! We got our doors to the walk-ins back a few weekends ago and along with the doors, we got the gas hoses and nozzles he took as well.
Well...this morning the sun FINALLY came out, it looked like it WASN'T gonna rain and I said "I'm gonna undo the computerized shit and make that thing pump some gas"! And that's exactly what I did! So...another milestone (Many more to go) was passed today. We hope to be ready for you guys!!!
Check us out on my website http://www.theempirestore.com
PLEASE let us know what kind of things we need to stock for the burners! Also...what foods we might want to add to the shelves. I hear alot of burners are vegans. Maybe a bigger order of fruits and veggies??? We are all new to this event and can only guess AND go by word of mouth as to what we are really going to be hit with.
I have figured out in the last month or so...Fix-a-flat is a MUST HAVE! Bring your own or buy some here...you will probably need some. Either for yourself or some poor soul who did NOT come prepared! I can't believe the number of people who pop their tires running around out there in the desert. Must be all the volcanic rock that is so sharp???
Are there other things that you can think of?

OK...I KNOW...Pabst Blue Ribbon :lol: ...anything else?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the Hell happened?"

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for filling us in on the fill-up situation. That's a real landmark. Congratulations.

I like to buy my water close to the event so I can put some of the money into the community there. So if you get some of the bigger jugs that would be great.

The deli has been great in years gone by. Not sure if some of the previous employees (if they're all on good terms) could help you with ideas. I know I enjoyed a real nice sandwich on the way into Burning Man and on the way out too. And one year I had a taco that was to talk about for ages. It was great.

Not sure if you've posted this before but are you able to take debit cards or credit cards. Lots of us don't carry cash much out to the playa because we rely more on plastic.

I'm planning to come out for 4th of Juplaya so I'll drop in then for supplies.

Congratulations on getting the store up and running. Hopefully the local community is supporting your efforts too.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:34 pm

I bought a Burning Man t-shirt at the Empire store in 2002. In December. With great irony. I've almost worn it out.

Batteries, Rechargeable battery packs. Solar chargers. Blinkies. Generic fuses.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Water in the 2 to 2 1/2 gallon suitcase variety seems to be the most popular with people who are not coming in in larger trucks.

Straw hats, Bandannas, Non styrofoam coolers, Bungee cords, Trash bags, Tarps, PVC Primer and Glue, Rope, Twine, cheap sun glasses, chapstick (burts bees is popular).
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Congrats on that hurdle. What are the hours? We're going through Empire and Gerlach on our way to Tacoma next Tuesday the 23rd. We are planning on stopping for breakfast at Brunos at around 7:00 or 8:00. Either way, if you're open at that time, we are going to stop in Empire. Another suggestion on something to stock is DU C T Tape. trying to imitate the late, great Paul Harvey

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 am

AntiM wrote:I bought a Burning Man t-shirt at the Empire store in 2002. In December. With great irony. I've almost worn it out.

Batteries, Rechargeable battery packs. Solar chargers. Blinkies. Generic fuses.
I found 5 "I survived BurningMan 08" T-shirts and there just happens to be 3 left in the store (at last count) right now! I am not 100% sure but they were there last week.

How funny...I was working on the gas pump yesterday and two guys came up to the store on dirt bikes...their truck was stuck in mud on the playa, they needed a 20Amp plastic fuse and I took the one for my tail lights out of my truck and sent my father-in-law over to the store with it. I told Pop..."Just give it to em". A little while later 1 dirt bike came back to the store, one of the two guys hit a nail with his dirt bike and they came back for...you guessed it....Fix-a-flat! The guy left a dollar with my son and told him to give it to me for the fuse.

To everyone...thanks for your input! I have to get ready for work! Have a good day!

Real quick...

Yes we have a credit/debit machine. We DO NOT have an ATM!!!

Our hours right now are 8:00AM til 7:00PM but we will be staying open later starting this week (I think). I think they are shooting for 9:00PM. Not sure though.

Our deli is still kickin' out GREAT sandwiches! I eat there 2 or 3 times a week :wink:

We also plan on doing tacos during the event. We HEARD...they were a big hit. We were told they went through 400 lbs of hamburger meat for TACOS during BM!!! Damn!!!
Well gotta go!
Thanks again to all!
More more more! Lemmee know! :D
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the Hell happened?"

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Advil, Tylenol, suncscreen, solarcaine, aloe, etc. Gallon size zip lock bags and Baby wipes also seem to be popular.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 pm

in the past I have purchased;

mostly gasoline (always try to fill-up whenever I pass - one never knows...)
snack items; ice cream, candy, etc
meals; pre-prepared cold sandwiches mostly
gifts; bm videos (didn't see any shirts or I would have bought those too)
sundries; ibuprofin, allergy meds, sunblock, lighters, lip stuff, etc
ice
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 pm

I think I hit the nail on the head when I said way back when that the anticipation of 50,000 people passing by with give you the courage to stock the daylights out of the place. What ever you buy to stock the store will sell for you. Don't forget the Slim Jims!
I hope you will have a full assortment of BM merchandise---videos, books, posters, shirts etc.

Good luck--we're all pulling for you!! :D

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Fourth of July weekend in 18 days. I wish you luck this Summer and in years to come.

Glad to hear your pumps are working, a lot of people were concerned. Sounds like you've got a handle on things.

Goodwill for business is one of those intangible things that mean a lot. Customers can tell when service is good or lacking, reputation is passed forward for good or ill.

I'll stop at your store, Sunday 30th August, since I have one day early entrance. I always top off my gastank for safety, and get some snacks.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Shambala wrote:I think I hit the nail on the head when I said way back when that the anticipation of 50,000 people passing by with give you the courage to stock the daylights out of the place. What ever you buy to stock the store will sell for you. Don't forget the Slim Jims!
I hope you will have a full assortment of BM merchandise---videos, books, posters, shirts etc.

Good luck--we're all pulling for you!! :D
There...I fixed it for you Shambala!
If I have to go into town and PERSONALLY buy a case of SlimJims...I will!!! LOL!!! :lol:
Well...not personally being a survivor of BurningMan 08...I would feel like a wannabe if I was to wear a T-Shirt from the event. There are 3 T's hanging up there right now. Ya want one? :?:

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Oldguy wrote:Fourth of July weekend in 18 days. I wish you luck this Summer and in years to come.

Glad to hear your pumps are working, a lot of people were concerned. Sounds like you've got a handle on things.

Goodwill for business is one of those intangible things that mean a lot. Customers can tell when service is good or lacking, reputation is passed forward for good or ill.
I'll stop at your store, Sunday 30th August, since I have one day early entrance. I always top off my gastank for safety, and get some snacks.
I couldn't put it any better! I am a devout believer in "word of mouth" above all else! Plainly put...I believe most people have the tendency to believe another human rather a stack of advertisements!

I personally feel my motto of
"Fuck me once...it's YOUR fault! Fuck me twice...it's MY fault"~~~
Is shared by many, although, most may be a little reluctant to put it this way! :wink:

Un-doing ANY past wrongs will take proof... in the form of word of mouth!!!
I am going to make a list of the things we need to get and we will try to make sure we are as prepared as we can be when you people start arriving~

I actually made MY first trip past Gerlach this past Saturday! I took my youngest fishing. We went to Squaw Resevoir. Caught 6 trout, 5 Bluegill and two Largemouth Bass! I released the Bass...we ate the rest! Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Oooh, turkey jerky!

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 am

I would love a place close to the playa where I could pull over and fill up my camping containers with potable water.

At eight pounds/gallon, it's a big factor in my weight load coming in.

A kid set up on the right side of the road -- pit crew-style -- with a hose, a water source and change for a twenty would be killer. Buck a gallon? Buck and a quarter? I'd rather pay you than Wal-Mart.
Irony. You're soaking in it.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 pm

EB wrote:I would love a place close to the playa where I could pull over and fill up my camping containers with potable water.

At eight pounds/gallon, it's a big factor in my weight load coming in.

A kid set up on the right side of the road -- pit crew-style -- with a hose, a water source and change for a twenty would be killer. Buck a gallon? Buck and a quarter? I'd rather pay you than Wal-Mart.
Hell yes!

Glad to see you up and running, will def. stop by on the way in...

12" nails
basic tools: hammers/sledge, wrenches, screwdrivers
vinegar
pickles

check these guys out for bulk blinkies etc to sell...http://www.windycitynovelties.com/

Bacon!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 pm

glad you were able to figure out the gas pumps wiring out, Andy.

Hopefully you will be able to get Burning Man/LLC to get you a good stock of videos/shirts/calendars before the burn, hopefully the powers that be realize that you guys didn't take all of the ones that were there and are able to get past that pile of BS that Donny left in his wake.

we were just there this weekend, and I had a yummy "Cindy" sandwich on friday, and your brother-in-law came out and got dad's truck stuck in the muck right in front of our camp at the frogponds on Saturday night.

Good entertainment, that was.
it's always nice to put the shoe on the other foot and be able to poke fun at one of the "Locals".

maybe we'll actually see"you" on the 4th of July weekend ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Rusted Iron

Yea!

Post by Rusted Iron » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm happy to hear that you're open. Congratulations on the hard work working.

I'll put in my .02 for veggie burgers of some kind.

See you in August.

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:17 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:...your brother-in-law came out and got dad's truck stuck in the muck right in front of our camp at the frogponds on Saturday night.

I have pictures. Should I post pictures. HA!
Let the blackmail begin!
Risky

The Booby Bar in
http://terminalvillage.com

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 pm

**burn** wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:...your brother-in-law came out and got dad's truck stuck in the muck right in front of our camp at the frogponds on Saturday night.

I have pictures. Should I post pictures. HA!
Let the blackmail begin!
If you don't...you would be depriving me of one of the finest
"Don't look now...but MY karma just ran over YOUR dogma" moments I would ever have!!! PLEASE!!! Post em up!!!

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:54 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:glad you were able to figure out the gas pumps wiring out, Andy.

Hopefully you will be able to get Burning Man/LLC to get you a good stock of videos/shirts/calendars before the burn, hopefully the powers that be realize that you guys didn't take all of the ones that were there and are able to get past that pile of BS that Donny left in his wake.

we were just there this weekend, and I had a yummy "Cindy" sandwich on friday, and your brother-in-law came out and got dad's truck stuck in the muck right in front of our camp at the frogponds on Saturday night.

it's always nice to put the shoe on the other foot and be able to poke fun at one of the "Locals".

maybe we'll actually see"you" on the 4th of July weekend ?
There was nothing left here re:burning man! I found one really cool decal and one iron on embroidered Black Rock City Public Works emblem and a few weeks ago I found a playa cleanup T-Shirt! That's it! The BM T-shirt I am talking about...I found in town on clearance!

If there was merchandise here...sorry...it's not now!

Now...feel free to "Enlighten" me re Sat. night! Brother-in-law didn't make it home here til this morning after I had already left for work! Has a window busted out of the side of the shell! ROTFLMAO!!! And just for the record...I NEVER use that (rotflmao) in upper OR lower case!!! This is just so sweet! If you only knew!!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 pm

(Risky)**Burn** has the pics, I am sure she will post them, since you asked.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 pm

I tried to make these bigger with no success. The second pic shows the truck already jacked up quite a bit.

Risky

The Booby Bar in

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks Risky I appreciate the pics! I was hoping for some more "detailed" ones...The "entertainment value" would have been much greater! Ya got any of him wallowing??? LOL LOL LOL!!! Image

Disclaimer: No Karma was injured in the posting of or the requesting of these pictures! I did NOT wish this upon him...therefore my Karma is safe!!!

Although...I found GREAT joy in his "misfortune"

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 pm

mykidsdaddy wrote: Ya got any of him wallowing??? LOL LOL LOL!!!
Pretty close.........

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm

"Thank you" doesn't harldy seem to be thanks enough! Although...it looks like all he's doing there is holding on to his "life support system"

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:07 pm

actually, that was a can of Coca-Cola I had given him.......... :wink:

**burn**

Post by **burn** » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:28 pm

oh yes, those are mucho better, dick.
Risky

The Booby Bar in

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Photobucket, baby, Photobucket.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm

A little bit faster and he would have made it...looks like.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 pm

It was dark, he didn't know it was there, and he drove into it in 2 wheel drive, then stopped and put it in 4 low and buried the ass of it worse than it already was.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”