Will pay to plug our RV into your generator

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Locked
King Salmon
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 pm

Will pay to plug our RV into your generator

Post by King Salmon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:07 pm

We have a 7-person RV from Cruise America and will pay to plug it into your generator. How does $6 per hour sound?

The RV has its own generator but the gas tank is not big enough for us to run the AC as much as we would like. We'd only plug in when it's hot and we need to run our AC. The draw is pretty much just for the AC, no sound system or anything else big.

It's just a standard 110V plug (standard wall plug) and our cable is 20 ft long. If the generator needs to be farther than that from our RV then we could get a thick gauge extension cord.

This would entail that we park near you. We could either leave you alone, or if you like, we can join your camp and possibly pay whatever camp dues there are.

Please email kwang@kwang.org. I prefer to not use PM.

User avatar
Marscrumbs
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Bishop Ca

This is so sad.

Post by Marscrumbs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:13 pm

They should really give an entrance exam to people before selling tickets to anyone. What has Burning Man become.

User avatar
wedeliver
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:10 am
Burning Since: 1998
Location: Tionesta, CA
Contact:

Re: Will pay to plug our RV into your generator

Post by wedeliver » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 pm

King Salmon wrote:We have a 7-person RV from Cruise America and will pay to plug it into your generator. How does $6 per hour sound?

The RV has its own generator but the gas tank is not big enough for us to run the AC as much as we would like. We'd only plug in when it's hot and we need to run our AC. The draw is pretty much just for the AC, no sound system or anything else big.

It's just a standard 110V plug (standard wall plug) and our cable is 20 ft long. If the generator needs to be farther than that from our RV then we could get a thick gauge extension cord.

This would entail that we park near you. We could either leave you alone, or if you like, we can join your camp and possibly pay whatever camp dues there are.

Please email kwang@kwang.org. I prefer to not use PM.

Interesting that you say "The RV has its own generator but the gas tank is not big enough for us to run the AC as much as we would like. We'd only plug in when it's hot and we need to run our AC."

Sounds like you are saying two things, which one applies? If you arn't running it much just buy some 5 gallon gas cans, fill them up. If you are running it most of the day, $6.00 per hour might not cover expenses on a genny.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

King Salmon
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 pm

Post by King Salmon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 pm

You're right. That was a bit unclear.

Doing the math, we can run it for about 35 hours the whole time we're out there. I'm thinking we might want to run it for 50-80 hours.

We've thought about the gas cans, but we have to buy them, they take up space in the RV, and they smell. Plus, it's more efficient and less polluting to run one big generator than two smaller generators.

User avatar
dragonpilot
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I have a 31' Class C. Not sure why you feel the need to run your gen 50 hours...allergic to heat? What? But, YMMV.

Even last year with all the long dust storms and had to button up, we only ran the gen 22 hours the whole week...and 11 hours of that was on Day 1 when the big storm came in. The rest of the week it was just a few minutes in the morning to run the coffee pot, and a couple of hours late afternoon to: 1) recharge the house batteries, 2) run the AC to take the edge off the noonday sun.

We bring 15 gallons of extra gas in 3 5-gal plastic cans. They can be purchased at most stores for less than $10 ea. We carry them in the undercarriage storage bins, so there's no smell at all. They don't smell anyway if they're properly capped. We empty them into the fuel tank a day or so after arrival at BRC, recap the cans and put them away.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8361
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Will pay to plug our RV into your generator

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:43 pm

King Salmon wrote: The draw is pretty much just for the AC, no sound system or anything else big.
"Just the AC..." The AC is the biggest power draw in the rig! Sound systems are nothing.

You've got money to bring an RV. You've got money to pay someone else to run their generator. Jeez, buy some gas cans and take care of yourself!
It's almost never a good idea to be dependent on anyone else at BM.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
ibdave
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:09 pm
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Missing the point guys.. 50-80 hours of A/C... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

User avatar
oneeyeddick
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Location: Probably in your pants

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 am

they must also have too much bacon for thier fridge to handle.

perfeclty reasonable request, IMO........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4564
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Post by Token » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 am

Running the AC 10 hours a day?

That is rich.

You guys have clearly been misinformed.

You will end up using the AC maybe one or two hours a day.

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8361
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:08 am

Token wrote:Running the AC 10 hours a day?

That is rich.

You guys have clearly been misinformed.

You will end up using the AC maybe one or two hours a day.
Huh?? One or two is barely long enough to get the rig cooled down! 10 hours a day is about right to keep an RV chilled on the playa. That's what I do. It's not because I'm not a "real" burner, I just like to sleep in comfort during the day and party at night! Also it works better to keep it cold than to let it heat back up and cool it again.

It's no issue at all to do that, but counting on someone else usually doesn't work. Bring your own supplies to provide whatever level of playa comfort you expect to have. No room? That's what trailers are for.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
dragonpilot
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:45 pm

For planning purposes:

Say 10 hours a day at about 1/2 gal per hour = 5 gals per day X 8 days = about 40 gals of gas...

...is that about right?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

User avatar
frenchblue1
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:25 pm
Location: Arizona

Post by frenchblue1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Are you planning on plugging in to draw 30 amps? Your A/C system will draw that much to power one and if it has two you will need more. A typical 110 electrical cord is not going to work, you will have to use your shore hook up and buy an extension to that and find someone with a 30 amp or 50 amp hook up.

User avatar
ibdave
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:09 pm
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:44 pm

dragonpilot wrote:For planning purposes:

Say 10 hours a day at about 1/2 gal per hour = 5 gals per day X 8 days = about 40 gals of gas...

...is that about right?
My 97 RV will burn 3/4 per hour under load...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8361
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:17 am

frenchblue1 wrote:Are you planning on plugging in to draw 30 amps? Your A/C system will draw that much to power one and if it has two you will need more. A typical 110 electrical cord is not going to work, you will have to use your shore hook up and buy an extension to that and find someone with a 30 amp or 50 amp hook up.
Not true. An RV A/C unit, typically 11,000 - 15,000 BTU, will start on 12 - 15 amps, and the running draw is much less. I run an 11,000 BTU roof unit and a 6,000 BTU window unit and I don't even have 30 amps worth of generator power.
I run power to my friend's RV too.
And we're fine on typical 110 cords, but they need to be at least 12-gauge for short runs. I use a 100-foot 10-gauge cord, from Home Depot. The plugs don't even get hot.

I have run A/C at BM through 200' of 12-gauge extension cord, and the plugs did get really hot... that was pushing it!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29386
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
frenchblue1 wrote:Are you planning on plugging in to draw 30 amps? Your A/C system will draw that much to power one and if it has two you will need more. A typical 110 electrical cord is not going to work, you will have to use your shore hook up and buy an extension to that and find someone with a 30 amp or 50 amp hook up.
Not true. An RV A/C unit, typically 11,000 - 15,000 BTU, will start on 12 - 15 amps, and the running draw is much less. I run an 11,000 BTU roof unit and a 6,000 BTU window unit and I don't even have 30 amps worth of generator power.
I run power to my friend's RV too.
And we're fine on typical 110 cords, but they need to be at least 12-gauge for short runs. I use a 100-foot 10-gauge cord, from Home Depot. The plugs don't even get hot.

I have run A/C at BM through 200' of 12-gauge extension cord, and the plugs did get really hot... that was pushing it!
I think your figures may depend on how old the A/C unit is Cap.......

mine is 15k on my trailer, and, it draws 1700 watts to run, about 3400 to start.
my trailer is from the '80's, so, may have an ineffecient A/C......dunno.

I think there is a fair amount of variance in A/C units.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Boijoy
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart
Location: Metro Mart. 4:30 Plaza

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 am

:: I'm thinking I'll just camp next to King Salmon & get all that nice chilly breeze that will be seeping out of his camper doors & windows for 10 hours a day :: :) I would be happy to pay... say PBR & a piece of bacon?
don't forget to floss

Nitevenus
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: Arizona

Post by Nitevenus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am

I also had a Cruise America RV in 2005 and thought that the gas wouldn't hold out. My son needed to be cool during the day because of a heart condition and we ended up only using the A/C for 33 hours. (Used in the highest heat of the day) Barely made a dent in the gas tank (topped it off in Gerlach) and the extra 15 gallons I had as back up in gas cans ended up being gifted to people in camp who needed it. The fumes were minimal and kept the cans in the storage area of the RV. We conserved on running lights. Heck, you will be out exploring, nights and mornings are cool, sometimes it gets cold! I was surprised at how well the gennie handled the usage

User avatar
dragonpilot
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Nitevenus wrote: the extra 15 gallons I had as back up in gas cans ended up being gifted to people in camp who needed it.
Gifted! It wasn't you Nitevenus, but the SOB 2 years ago made me pay for his extra gas that I desperately needed...just wait 'til I get my hands on him...whoever it was!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

User avatar
Marscrumbs
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Bishop Ca

Alternate suggestion

Post by Marscrumbs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Why not just go to burning man in the winter off season when it is cooler. Tickets are much cheaper then too.

User avatar
mojo
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:47 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by mojo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:39 pm

If you park in such a manner that you can move the RV in and out, you can pay the extra $20 to take the RV to Gerlach and fill up your tanks when you need to. Tell your neighbors that you will be back, ask if they need anything from town, and leave someone to guard your campsite so someone else isn't in it when you get back.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

User avatar
Marscrumbs
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Bishop Ca

Alternate suggestion

Post by Marscrumbs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Why not just go to burning man in the winter off season when it is cooler. Tickets are much cheaper then too.

User avatar
EspressoDude
Posts: 4920
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: the first Vancouver
Contact:

Post by EspressoDude » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:57 pm

better yet, rent a portable nuclear power plant from RENO, bring it in on a trailer behind your RV. Then gift everyone who has a power cord that reaches there all of the power they can use.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

User avatar
dragonpilot
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:16 pm

EspressoDude wrote:better yet, rent a portable nuclear power plant from RENO, bring it in on a trailer behind your RV. Then gift everyone who has a power cord that reaches there all of the power they can use.
You can do that...really?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

User avatar
Marscrumbs
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Bishop Ca

Post by Marscrumbs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:21 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:better yet, rent a portable nuclear power plant from RENO, bring it in on a trailer behind your RV. Then gift everyone who has a power cord that reaches there all of the power they can use.
You can do that...really?
Been there done that in "The Future"

This year's Darwin theme requires that you use steam engine.

trenton
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:35 am
Location: Santa Nella CA

Post by trenton » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 am

I think you have to pay per hr on rented RV, There are gennies all over CL for 200 bucks that will power your rented rig, then sell it when you are done. So you are only out fuel and the difference of the buy-sell of your gennie, or buy low sell high and recoup price of gennie and fuel.

Locked

Return to “2011 Share Resources”