Camp spots on the way to and from BM from the NW?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Another warning on the open range. One of my camp mates hit a wild horse, actually, it hit him and really screwed up his truck, lots of damage, and broke out the side window to a shower of glass, on exodus in this area. Second the Cedarville stop and a visit to the bookstore. Depending on what you need, Klamath Falls is the last full service grocery.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm also partial to summer lake hot springs, haven't tried Eagle's Nest. The hot springs are wonderful, the rates are low, and it fills up with burners. It's about 4 hours out from the playa as I remember (but my memory plays tricks on me. It's always WAY too long on the inbound and WAY too short on the outbound)

Gwally http://gwally.com/directions/ has a web site with various options from the NW spelled out with all towns and many resources identified. I found a few discrepancies in his advice this past year, but definitely close enough to get you there and away in safety and (relative) comfort.

I arrived in the wee hours of Monday AM this year for the first time. At about 3 AM there were a relatively small number coming on the road from the NW and MILES AND MILES of stopped traffic coming in from Reno. It was kinda pretty, as long as I didn't have to sit in it. Don't go to Reno.

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Oh and - I found to my great relief this year that the Chevron station in Alturas (about 8 miles out of your way) is open 24 hrs to accommodate us. Actually, I'm sure they make a pile of well deserved cash off of serving our needs. I PROBABLY could have made the round trip without them but I was DAMNED glad I didn't have to try.

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I, also, came from the NW, got into Gerlach about 4 or 5 AM but went into town to fill my main tank. That cost me about 2 hours because I had to reenter the Reno line. Horrible. Then I had a 3 hour line to get in. I believe I will be able to make it back to Cedarville on exodus to fill back up next time and I won't fill in Gerlach, like before.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

epic_elite

Post by epic_elite » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:13 pm

why don't you drive straight in :?: :?: :?:

its 8hours 40 minutes to gerlach from PDX...

i might have a jaded perspective because my daddy was a trucker. and his daddy was a trucker. ( i tried to type that in my best hillbilly accent )but that doesn't seem like that much too me.

but i dunno. eitherway, im going to reno the night before because ive got family i was gonna meet in Reno for a minute before the burn.

oh yeah, Im from oregon too!

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 pm

I do the drive in one push from Aurora Oregon and it takes me right at 10 hours if I don't have a breakdown. My vehicle is a bit slow and I never go much over 60mph as I am towing a trailer.
My last fuel stop before the playa is Cedarville and I make it back there no problem on one tank of fuel. Fuel is available there 24 hours a day which is nice. It would probably be possible to make it from Alturas to the burn and back to Alturas for fuel if the station in Cedarville is closed for some reason.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm

But they don't close. I like Cedarville.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

gypsy68

Post by gypsy68 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

I drive in from Portland. I stay the night in Klamath Falls. I can then finish getting any supplies I need. I head out early Monday morning. Before heading out to the Playa, I drive into Gerlach to top off the gas tank. Last thing I want to do after leaving the Playa is to drive into Gerlach for gas.

epic_elite

Post by epic_elite » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 pm

cool.

some good tips there.

last time i went i drove to san fransisco to meet up with camp mates then cut over to reno. so this will be my first time going from oregon to reno. we're meeting up with same campmates in reno this time... a little less out of the way than san francisco.

also, my time was based off of map quest.

i also drive a honda that struggles up the hills with a roof packed up like sancho panza's donkey and about 750 lbs worth of camp on a 500 lb rated axel. i probly manage about 15-20mpg on the highways and about 10 up the steep hills. and the 10 gallon gas tank requires frequent stops. by the time i made it into black rock last time the tank was bone dry.

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 am

For the record, it's do-able to drive solo from Bellingham straight through to the burn, arriving at the line about 3 am and watching the sun come up as you go through the gate. But I don't recommend it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 am

I bet the horse was pretty fucked up, too. Probably had to be put out of its misery, assuming it still had any.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm

So far we have done the straight drive from Seattle every year leaving at about 6 a.m. There are two of us though so we switch back and forth and we also take quite a few rest stops and eat a few last real meals along the way.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm

No, the horse didn't make it. $3500 damage to the truck. He was towing a trailer, but no further damage to anything and only minor cuts from the glass.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

winebuff
Burning Since: 2010

Post by winebuff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Any thoughts on people from the NW caravaning down to BM via Eagles nest or Kfalls?

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Wedeliver is still at the Eagles nest campground.

he's a burner, and, owns it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:36 pm

ygmir wrote:Wedeliver is still at the Eagles nest campground.

he's a burner, and, owns it.
Hi. i fell in a hole and I have just climbed out. hope you all been well!!
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

there there WD.......good to see ya back...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

winebuff

drive from pdx

Post by winebuff » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Change of plans. Going to be in Sisters, Oregon by Bend camping the weekend before so will drive from there to BM on the Sunday before. Have to rethink this...

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:43 pm

for me, summer lake for the drive home is a must! but you can always stop there on the way into BM. really from portland you can do it in one day, I drive down from vancouver Canada, and I've overnighted in portland then made it to the burn the next day, it's a long treck, but very dooable.

My Favorite place to stop overnight on the way to BM is blue pool campground just east of eugene, great secret little hot spring just up the road, no one knows about it...
)'(

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am

Great spot. Hiway 58 is a particularly beautiful drive.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

winebuff

Post by winebuff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 am

Can anyone suggest fun sports along the way going from Bend (sisters)? Camping there the weekend of BM then will leave Sun am. Thx!

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 am

What do you want to do, Winebuff? Bend is within sight of just about anything.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

winebuff

Post by winebuff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 am

Hi Mark

I am going to camp at Camp Sherman with the sisters on the fly group I belong to. It is a womens only vintage trailer group so should be fun. Leaving Sun morning to drive to BM. Will get food after the sisters trip but havent had a chance yet to look at the map on the route down and figure it all out. BUT I will :)
Just open to ideas on the trek down there via Bend. Will dig into it deeper next month. Now just planning my first trip in my 68' Cardinal trailer with the girls :)

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 am

Well, you'll probably want to stop in K Falls. It's the last full service stop and has gotten very Burn friendly.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm

yo ygmir wazzzz up?

and..

for me I have always wanted to go to summer lake, it sounds so relaxing. here is their website

http://www.summerlakehotsprings.com/

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:00 pm

glad to see you back to life, WD.........I'm still planning a road trip up that way.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

winebuff

Post by winebuff » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Wow, Summer Hot Springs looks amazing! I may have to stop there on the way down or back. Wonder if they have trailer parking. Will surf around web site later. Thx guy :)

wedeliver

Post by wedeliver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:15 pm

winebuff, I found I had missed an question from you about eagle's nest rv park. We will be here and open for burners this year, but... I am unable to give away things that cost the park money. such as showers, water. even the toilets become an expense when a few hundred -people come through. to be honest over the last 4 years that we did not charge for those items we did get a lot in donations, and I really have apprecated that, but the donations did not cover the expense even. I have my own well (and the water is fantastic) and the pump and motor that need to work to get the water from 300 feet down costs a pretty penny. My septic system cost's a shit load to get the tank pumped.

So this year, we welcome burners, we love burners and we would never turn anyone away, but we will have a small charge to camp here to cover those items mentioned above.

I do not want to violate the tos and advertise here. So, I will leave it at that. we will be open and ready to help everyone get from the pacific northwest to gerlach safely.

For those of you who have come here for the last 4 years, we really hope to see ya all again this year.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Fair enough...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

winebuff

Post by winebuff » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 am

That is totally fair. I am more than happy to pay whatever you charge to the general public. Thx :)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”