rent a truck?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

rent a truck?

Post by Boijoy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi, I know there have been threads for this in the past & I have used the search function. ( I think mine is broken ) :?

Question,
Where can I rent a truck in Reno for Burning Man without having to lie about where I'm going? Please? :)
don't forget to floss

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm

What kind of truck? Pickup, Uhaul type?

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:35 pm

box type. like what you would move with. thanks.
don't forget to floss

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 pm

I thought U Haul on South Virginia was pretty cool about it. Heck even if you have to fib a little (I need to move grandma to Gerlach this weekend. LOL!). They are pretty easy to clean.

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Hahahaha! I just read your thread on how obnoxious they were at UHaul! ok.....NEXT! I believe the different UHauls around town are run/owned by different people. Was it the one up by Moana?, if so, yeah, they are douche bags! We rented a car hauler from them once. I was thinking of the one further south, down by South Meadows. I think there's one on Oddie in Sparks too. Did you try Budget or Ryder?

Boijoy

Post by Boijoy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 am

I reserved a Budget Truck online.. they don't ask too many questions that way. they might give me the 3rd degree when I pick it up though.
wish me luck. :)
don't forget to floss

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Boijoy wrote:I reserved a Budget Truck online.. they don't ask too many questions that way. they might give me the 3rd degree when I pick it up though.
wish me luck. :)
"You're moving gramma Bessie to Gerlach" :wink:

junglemovement

Post by junglemovement » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:09 pm

guys i have been calling like 50 different places in northern california to rent a camper-van and the first thing they asked me when i tell them the dates is: ARE YOU GOING TO BURNING MAN?? only 1 place allows its vehicles to go to BM but there raise the prize to 3times more. they all talk about how alkaline dust from Playa fucks the electric system on vehicles and no matter how many times u wash a vehicle its always gonna look dusty dirty :(

3 weeks into researching and still no luck Finding a Damn CAMPER or RV company that will let me go to BM without making me go bankrupt ! anyone wants to share an RV or Camper?? im riding Solo, flaying into San Francisco from miami,fl
DREAM as if you'll Live for ever. LIVE as if you'll Die today ! c u at playa :)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:35 am

There's a place in Sacramento (AVIS) that will rent vans and such to people going to burningman and not screw them on the price. The owner of the dealership is very burner-friendly. If you want the info email me at: james.jacoby@wfadvisors.com and I will give you the particulars next week. I would rather do it this way than "advertise" on this forum.

SuperNakedGirl

truck rentals

Post by SuperNakedGirl » Sat May 22, 2010 2:29 pm

my wife and i rented a 16 foot budget rent a truck last year from a sparks, nv location. we used it for our vehicle the day before running around getting food, bikes, etc and then used it as our house for the 8 days we were at burning man last year.

It was great! It kept almost all of the white out "out" and helped with noise levels at night. It was even cool enough for me to take a nap in during the day-note..I slept naked and am not hot natured, for those of you that are hot natured and/or like to wrap up to sleep..might need to take that nap late afternoon.

We loved the metal pull out ramp in the back of the truck because it served as a table/cooking area. And the slats inside the truck were great for clamping things out of the way to give you more floor space. The wood floor not so great so we opted for a cheap piece of carpet remnent and it was great.

This will be my 6th year going and almost all the places in reno/sparks know where you are going whether you try to lie or not. The 20 something couple in line ahead of us were trying to convince the budget guy they were helping their brother move. He said at this time of year the "down payment cleaning fee" was set no matter what you were doing with the truck. When it was my turn I just said I need a truck for this many days. Now the cool thing was the total bill at the end of 9 days with milage to and from burning man, no extra gas, and total from washing the truck (so easy cause you can just spray the whole inside down) was still cheaper than the suv I rented 2 years ago. And didn't have to pay a dime on the "cleaning fee" cause it was so easy to clean, they said looked great.

So from my first and only experience so far with a rental truck, I can say it was awesome for what I wanted and needed at burning man. Just dont forget to make sure you get a good est milage when you rent. I think we est about 200 miles and we were fine.
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID

DragginLady

Post by DragginLady » Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 am

I bit the bullet in 2008 and bought a used truck to haul a trailer to carry all my sh*t to Burning Man.
What the hell was I thinking!!!!!

TobeWilde

UHauls and RVS to rent here

Post by TobeWilde » Sun May 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I live in Fresno and most NOBODY in this dismal demographically challenged town knows what Burning Man is...and I say, don't volunteer information. I am renting a UHaul here and driving to Burning Man. Yes, its an 8 hour drive, but I love road trips and I think thats a good length one. Fresno has an airport...so if anyone wants to fly in here with some gear and rent a Uhaul or other transport, let me know, I can probably give you a ride from airport to whereever (if you arrive before the 29th), or I can at least point you in the right rental direction, or we can caravan to Burning Man, if you like.

When/if they ask where you are going, just say a "group camping trip", no need to mention exactly where...and "I need to transport camping gear". No lie - no foul - no bad karma. :) Then clean it up before you return it.

Plus the UHaul is great for sleeping in at night if its cold because it holds the heat from the day, and if you leave the back open, its a great place for a hammock!
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

TobeWilde

p.s. on UHaul Rentals

Post by TobeWilde » Sun May 23, 2010 1:30 pm

IF you rent one of these traveling advertisements...bring something halfway artsy to cover the godawful billboards painted on the sides after arriving at camp.

Funny Aside: Last year, while driving BEHIND a U-Haul on the highway, I noticed the ad on the back that should say: Seats 3 Adults Comfortably had lost the "S"...therefore boasting, "eats 3 Adults Comfortably". <3 Loved it! :lol:
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

gidget

Post by gidget » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Budget is cool and you don't have to lie. I don't think they jack up prices too badly. Take the truck to a truck stop wash before you return and use a few gallons of vinegar inside and out and hose it down. Use a spray cleaner with vinegar after you've vacuumed out the cab.
gidget is gadgety-good!

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 am

Out of my 300 + posts I am guesssing two dozen give this same answer.Really the ONLY Burner friendly truck rental option in Reno is Budget Truck Rental on Gentry Avenue.We have rented from them for years and as long as we bring back a clean truck there are no problems.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed May 26, 2010 11:55 am

Again as well, the Budget dealer in Oakland and San Rafael, Oneil Rents, takes it one step further. If you tell him you are going to BM, he offers a discount on the daily rate AND the per mile charge. He also has a nice clean up program for those who are lazy or in a hurry to get out of town after they return the truck. $99 and he cleans everything.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

My memory jogged by this post I went down to Budget today to reserve a truck and received good news.There is a new manager and he is giving a Burner discount.Claimed the last manager"jerked with the prices".Bottom line for us is that the truck this year will be roughly half the cost of last year.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

SuperNakedGirl

more truck info

Post by SuperNakedGirl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 am

I used the Budget place on Marietta Way in Sparks. They were cool. We returned the truck washed out on monday last year when they weren't even open and had no problems
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID

Return to “2011 Share Resources”