Anyone need power advice? I can help.

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
mseth

Post by mseth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Hellooo,
I am trying to light 140 feet of LED rope light. Most sites say they use .8 watts per foot = 112 watts. I'm not sure about amps, or any of the other acronyms used for power. I'm thinking a deep cycle battery with an inverter and charging it back at camp during the day (I'm on the grid). I've heard of float chargers and trickle chargers. I would also consider solar, but there are more acronyms and mystery terms I don't understand. I really don't want to use a gas generator. Of course I want an economical solution, but the effect is the most important.
My questions:
What rating battery should I get?
What rating inverter should I get?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Seth McG
Pyramid Cocoon
I'm looking forward to my first Burning Man installation for Metropolis 2010

TeddsAdventure

Post by TeddsAdventure » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:10 am

they do sell small 12V RV fridges in most travel centers, and also larger PROPANE-POWERED units on ebay, and elsewhere, but what i've been using (for my fully-insulated air-conditioned sleep-during-the-heat-of-the-day TENT) is just a standard 45W solar system, with marine batteries and an inverter, keeping them topped off with a 12V charger - when AC is available... this allows me to run during the heat of the day, when most of the AC is consumed, and at our camp - we experience rolling blackouts...

[quote="southcoaster"]hey dude, it's not really medium or huge scale stuff but i want to know the most economical way i can go about running a refridgerator for the week. my camp (bacon without borders) cooks a large amount of bacon each year and in addition to the meat (which usually is ok in a cooler) we have lots of fresh ingredients for use on the bar that DONT handle the cooler too well (stuff like veggies, mint and other herbs, eggs, etc).

mseth

Bacon

Post by mseth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

I'm with Pigmalions and we bring up about 100 lbs of bacon every year. We freeze it before leaving and have a dedicated ice chest for it. If you're on the grid, they say not to run refrigerators or air conditioning units because it will overload the system.
I'm looking forward to my first Burning Man installation for Metropolis 2010

portaplaya

Small power question

Post by portaplaya » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm trying to be cheap. It seems to me that I can use my 14W camera battery charger with a 100W inverter off of my truck for a couple of hours and then run the motor for about 10 minutes to recharge the non-deep cell battery back to full.

Does that sound reasonable? Seems crazy to build batteries, solar power, charge controllers, etc. for a situation that just needs 14W for 4 hours each day. But I'm looking to get this vetted before I put it into practice.

Jesus
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco//SF, CA

Post by Jesus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:17 pm

[quote="whaleboy"]Hmmmmm....
@southcoaster:
Ok from what I know, fridges pull a fair amount of power.... your best bet might be either xxx, yyy, or going a whole different route, like dry ice(which might over-chill your stuff).

I posted a few times in this long dry ice thread (on page 8 ), on how to NOT over-chill stuff, and conserve your dry ice:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=3232

good info from many folks, but some crap too.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”