Materials/design help needed for flammable Stanley Cup

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
LadyVroom

Materials/design help needed for flammable Stanley Cup

Post by LadyVroom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Everybody!

I'd like to build a flammable Stanley Cup to toss in the fire. I've never been to the playa before - it's my first year. So, I'm pretty much clueless.

However, this idea is a great & fun one, and with a little help it'll all come together wonderfully.

My initial thought was papier mache, over a wood frame with string instead of chicken wire, so the whole thing burns.

But, maybe there are some reinforced cardboard cylinders or other type of material that can be painted? Anyone have ideas on what I can use, and where to get the stuff?

Does it matter what kind of paint is used, in regards to toxicity when burned?

I live in Oakland, CA, and any help on sourcing materials or building this thing would be hugely appreciated. Here are the Cup dimensions:

Height: 89.54 cm / 35-1/4 inches
Weight: 15.5 kg / 34-1/2 lbs
Bowl: Height - 19.05 cm / 7-1/2 inches
Diameter: 28.57 cm / 11-1/4 inches
Circumference: 88.9 cm / 35 inches
Collar: Height - 15.87 cm / 6-1/4 inches
Shoulder: Height - 8.25 cm / 3-1/4 inches
Barrel: Height - 46.35 cm / 18-1/4 inches
Base: Diameter - 43.81 cm / 17-1/4 inches

Thanks very much!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Toss in the fire? Which fire? the Man? May I ask why?

Have you had burn night described in detail? So you know how that works?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 pm

you might want to hold your plans off until your second year so you can actually experience what happens at the event, and especially what happens at the big burns.

Don't really think tossing your project into the embers of the Man would go over well (if thats "the fire" you're thinking of- there's not just one)

Don't get overly ambitious your first time out- and I'm not saying it to be mean. You can't really wrap your head around the event until you are in the middle of it, and even then you're only seeing it in small slices. It's Huge (roughly the size of SF from Van Ness to the bay, Market St to Fishermans wharf), and can be completely overwhelming your first year. Any plans you make before you get there will probably get tossed by the wayside once you start running around in the madness.

Make your plans this year just to survive & experience. Make art plans next year.

And read these until you know them by heart:

http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I say go for it. Make it out of paper mache with some non toxic wood glue. Maybe use some stainless steel bowls to start the shape of the base and cup. Make sure it is really sturdy so that it does not MOOP.

Bring it to the man burn and carry it around in the crowd while you wait for your opportunity. This will be quite a while after the man falls. When it seems like a safe time rush in and toss it on a hot spot then retreat very quickly. Be at least 80% sober while doing this is my recommendation. I see people throw all sorts of things in to the man burn fire. Much less these days than in even my limited years past. Try to make it light so you don't get worn out carrying it around and inscribe it with the things in your life that you want to burn to make it ceremonial. Could even let other people write on it too if you felt that was cool.

Discouraging making of art? What's up people?
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Cmon guys, the big bamboo ball early in the decade, the 30' baseball bat a few years later ...

Safety third.

I'm a season ticket holder for the LA Kings and love the idea.

Yes, cardboard is a great choice. There are pre made cylinders used in construction for pouring concrete. The trade name is SonoTube. Most big box hardware stores carry it.

Don't let the jaded old time burners tell you what you can and can't do. Just do it!

Love you AntiM, love you Eric. Mean it!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Token wrote:Don't let the jaded old time burners tell you what you can and can't do. Just do it!
Great. Ruin the Power Structure. Next the newbs are going to think they can have fun out there.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I wasn't saying no, I was wondering if she had a grasp of the basic logistics. Personally, I think lugging a 34 pound Stanley cup around on Burn Night is a real labor of love, mad, and incredibly improbable.

Of course, the guy who sued after falling in the fire when he was tossing photos in lost his case because the judge said he should have known fire was hot.

I love you too, kiss kiss.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 am

She could always leave it in the temple too....
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks to all for your awesome posts!

Truly thanks to the old-timers for your concern. I ran the idea by the main BM group, and was offered lots of advice on the burn itself, "rope-dropping", etc.

Certainly it'll be an experience, and hopefully I can pull it off.

Cheers to the LA Kings fan - my team won the cup this year (Chicago Blackhawks), and since I no longer live in Chicago, I'm missing out on all the cool Cup fun there. So this is an opportunity to bring the Cup closer to me.

I've hooked up with a couple Chicago-area burners, and we may meet on the playa to drink from the flammable Cup. Probably I'll bring some champagne, but other liquids are welcome. I'll keep everyone posted.

So psyched to give this a try! Thanks for the materials advice!

LV

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:21 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 am

Go for it! For the record I put a green papier-mache bunny in the fire on my second burn.

Check to see what Michael's or other craft shop has in the way of pre-made papier-mache objects. You'd be surprised.

Here's what the real thing looks like:

So there's a strong cylindrical component to the design. You can get sonotubes at Home Despot in four-foot lengths, then build papier-mache around it.

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks Cryptofist and Dougly! I'll give these options a try...

Cheers,
LV

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Largest diameter "sonotube" I could find was 12". that will only work for one portion of the collar. The Cup is 17 & 1/4 at the base.

:(

I'll keep looking...

LV

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Hey Kids!

Scored copious amounts of cardboard, and the "skeleton" is taking shape. Wanted to post some photos, but they're not online yet...

Meanwhile, after further reflection on what names would go on the Cup, I decided to dedicate it to Cancer Survivors, or Those Fighting Cancer Right Now.

My mom & brother are both fighting cancer, with varying success. Since the Stanley Cup is the hardest sports trophy to win, I thought it fitting to celebrate their "win" for life.

If you are a cancer survivor or have a loved one who survived, stop by the Decadent Oasis camp, to sign the name on the Flammable Cup:
[url]http://dcdnt.org/home[/url]

If you won't make it to the playa this year, then drop me a note on my Facebook page, and I'll add the name:
[url]http://bit.ly/9rMEby[/url]

Hope you all think this is a cool idea, too! Please help spread the word, so the _entire_ Cup can be covered with names of _alive_ people who survived cancer.

Thanks & yay in advance!
LadyVroom[/img]

Token

Post by Token » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:55 am

Saku Koivu for sure.

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks, Token! S/he's on the list. Keep on spreading the word...

Token

Post by Token » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 am

Might as well add Ilya Kovalchuk not as a survivor but a cause of cancer for thousands of Devils and Kings fans. :)

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:36 am

Doh! Just got the Koivu lymphoma story. Thanks...

yeah, he's a pain in everyone's behind, including Brian Cambell's. In that case, it was Brian's head.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm

If you go to your profile and say "YES" to the BBCode, your quotes and other functions will work.

I'm a two time cancer survivor, I've lost two brothers, an uncle, and several cousins, and this year, my sister in law. Dad has skin cancers removed often.

I really, really hate cancer.

LadyVroom

Post by LadyVroom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 am

Hey AntiM,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the code thing should work now.

So sorry to hear of all your losses; I also really hate cancer too. But, hopefully this project will help me, you & others to find some healing. We are all still here, even though many people we know are gone...

Here is the Facebook page: [url]http://www.facebook.com/StanleyCup4Cancer[/url]

But ALSO, I just made a new email address specifically for people to send me names to write on the cup: [email protected]

So, if you'd like to get yourself & any family & friends on the list before the playa, please send to the email address above. The list is not something I'll keep, but it'll be deleted after the project is done. No other info is on there - just first & last name.

Anyway, hope you'll participate, and please spread the word to all you know. Thanks for your support!

Lady Vroom

LadyVroom

Diaster has struck the project

Post by LadyVroom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Kind People,

Sadly, I had a collapse on the cup last night. It's a long story, but the cup had to be detached, and the barrel isupside down trying to dry w/ as little damage as possible, so that the wedding cake bit doesn't completely sink into the center.

I had no idea this paper mache clay was so heavy!

Now, I need ideas on how to reinforce the center. The bottom is a piece of cardboard. Removing the entire bottom seems hazardous.

Do you think cutting a whole in the center, then placing dowels tee-pee style inside might work?

I'm hesitant to use wood to help save on weight. Ideas? Thoughts?

In bummed out desperate need,
LadyVroom

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Did this ever happen?

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:54 pm

It did, I saw it, and put some names on it.
They have pix on their facebook page. The link is a couple of posts up.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

LadyVroom

Yes it did!!

Post by LadyVroom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm

AntiM,

It was so beautiful & great. Bounce530 was one of the first people I bumped into on the playa. He & his friend gladly participated.

There were so many other people who did as well, it was awesome! Truly one of the coolest things I've ever done. But what made it so cool was all the support & sincere thanks offered for what the cup represented.

The temple burn was really awesome, too.

Photos & videos are all here: http://www.facebook.com/StanleyCup4Cancer

Thanks to you & the others on this forum for your support & help. I couldn't have done it without you!

Hugs,
LadyV

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Make it as big as you possibly can!

The canadiens are going to fuckin LOVE this.
)'(

LadyVroom

Birthed & Burned

Post by LadyVroom » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi StickyGreen,

The cup was already built & burned in 2010. Since I didn't get tickets in this year's sale, it's unlikely I'll go Home this year.

But you never know...

But if YOU want to build a burnable Stanley for 2011, hit me up anytime. :)

Bye,
LV

Return to “2011 Share Resources”