Shipping Containers for sale

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Fire_Moose

Shipping Containers for sale

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:44 am

"Paradise Valley - 20 & 40 Foot Shipping Containers P.V Unified School District - we are selling the 20 foot Storage/Shipping Containers throughout Arizona & surrounding states if you are in need of any for storage. The 20' containers are $2535 complete price delivered and the 40' containers are $3135 complete price delivered. A link to pictures and prices is at the end of this e-mail. They are waterproof and we can deliver to your site. We also have transport services with flatbeds & trailers. Thank you. Picture & Pricing link: www.PrescottShedandGarage.com/shippingcontainers "

I was told this is a pretty good price for these. dunno how far they will deliver them, But they are coming from AZ.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Not a great price, though cost varies with quality.

Are these kitted out in some way?
Insulated?
Locks?

The 40 foot should be the same price as 20 foot or cheaper.

Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 pm

I don't think they are kitted at all, doubt insulation or locks.

Why would the 40 foot be the same as the 20 foot?

keep in mind this includes the delivery.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Most want the 20 foot.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 pm

20' & 40' Containers, $1600 each (not delivered, however)

edit: stumbled on this on a small housing blog I follow. Serendipity at its best.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:18 pm

There is a good lock design for containers I found out of canada.
I can explain it to anyone interested.

Original locks are inadequate.
There is also an internal system available.
Very secure.

I'm using a 6325 shrouded lock on the original hardware.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Eric wrote:20' & 40' Containers, $1600 each (not delivered, however)

edit: stumbled on this on a small housing blog I follow. Serendipity at its best.

In my research this is a good price however one can occasionally find a shipping container for $1000 (arrange your own transport) On CL.

If anybody knows how to get these shipping containers for free from the shipping lines please let me know. I have heard that containers are occasionally given away by the shipping lines. I've got several burning man projects I'd like to get to work on involving shipping containers.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I bought them 3 at a time, from a broker in Portland.
Not sure how many you have to buy, to get them directly from the shippers.
I had found a site, at one time, where they were "fresh off the boat", a lot needed repair, and, you had to go to the port to pick them up.
I think that was in Oakland.

1500 bucks each, including delivery here in northern CA, for 20'
(4 years ago)

unfortunately, I lost all the contact info in a computer crash a couple of years ago.

but, I bet, you could search around and find that first level distributor.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I wouldn't rely on getting them free. They are not worthless, and the shipping companies know it. Even though there is some sort of obligatory end of life, at least that life, for the items. I'm sure it happens, but I'm also sure that it's right place right time in order to get one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

They don't go below scrap value.
Used to be as low as $700 for a 20 foot.
Very heavy.
All steel or aluminum except for the wood floor, unless it's a reefer container.

Consider reefer trailers as an alternative to containers.
Not as solid, but not flimsy, and mobile.
Finding chassis for the containers is tricky.
Aluminum is up now, so that makes it tough though.

Consider whether you might want to ship a container.
I got mine with shipping certification intact.

I designed an insulation and venting approach for containers, if anyone wants details.
Tried to get reefers, but couldn't get the ones I found shipped cheap enough.
Rare here for some reason now.

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Ygmir, That sounds like a really good deal. I am mildly familiar with several of the container resellers in Portland and since I live 30 miles from them I will do some on the ground research as I get closer to being able to purchase them.

I totally agree Crypto. Right time and place is what it would take. I missed one about 6 years ago.... :?

Gyre, I'm familiar with container construction and the lowest I have ever seen advertised (near seattle) was $850 but that was 7 years ago. To me that does seem ball park scrap value. My idea for transporting the containers is to modify them to work with a roll off chassis or I could always carry them on top of some dunnage on a flat bed trailer. I can't imagine I would ever ship the container by sea so I think I won't need a certificate.
Enclosed trailers don't fit my plans since they are not ground level entry but if they did work for my idea there are plenty for sale for seemingly reasonable prices. Most likely not extremely road worthy though.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Some good trailers cheap right now, but aluminum scrap value is high.
Working reefers are being scrapped.

The weight is on most containers.
I haven't done the math, but not light.
They vary though.
Mind is much heavier than some.
I think 4 tons or so.

I was thinking of truck shipping with a container.
Mine was never de-certified.

I have some ideas for container locks too.

The Bruce
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Molotov

Shipping Needs?

Postby The Bruce » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I am a class A Driver and a friend of mine is a broker for a trucking company. I do not own a truck but might be willing to help out anyone who needs a driver to get an art project to the Burn. I live in the seattle area. Also 20' shipping containers weigh about 4,800 lbs. I work in a scrap yard and occasionally they come in. We pay $200/ ton for scrap so thats almost $500 for a 20' can they are usually really beat up though. If anyone is really interested in shipping containers my Broker buddy has direct connections to all the major steam lines opperating out of seattle ports. Let me know if I can be of any help. 2011 will be my second burn and would like to get more involved.
That which is above, is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above.

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:59 pm

The Bruce,
I'll be getting in contact with you about purchasing a shipping container when finances and transportation permit.

Thanks.

The Bruce

Postby The Bruce » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Sweet, your just south of Portland we might even be able to arange delivery also.
That which is above, is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Good price, but consider any repairs.
I found it cheaper to buy units in the most usable condition possible, rather than repair one.
Just keep it in mind.

That price might be worth it.

The Bruce

Postby The Bruce » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Just to clarify $500 is what you can get for scraping one that is no longer usable. Containers for sale are a more expensive.

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm counting on spending a grand and hopefully not more that is when I get the cash together. I'll probably purchase the thing when I have a vehicle that can transport it. It is all part of my burn plans.

The Bruce

Postby The Bruce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm

In order to transport a 20' shipping container you will need a class A semi truck with a 20' chassis or a class B flat bed. Both require a commercial drivers licence.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 pm

The Bruce wrote:In order to transport a 20' shipping container you will need a class A semi truck with a 20' chassis or a class B flat bed. Both require a commercial drivers licence.

You would only need a class A if your running Air brakes, are over 26000 pounds, hauling 16 or more paying passengers, or hazardous materials. Even then you can get away with a B or even a C license if you can fit the can on a single truck.

Just hauling a container does not require a CDL. A full size truck can haul a container on a flatbed.

Anyone can google this stuff. the rules are set by the feds, with the states administrating them.

The Bruce

Postby The Bruce » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Right on. I have never seen one transported that way but I guess your right as long as you are under the weight restrictions. However I would expect to be pulled over by state police or DOT as I'm sure they will want to varify your legal.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 pm

The Bruce wrote:Right on. I have never seen one transported that way but I guess your right as long as you are under the weight restrictions. However I would expect to be pulled over by state police or DOT as I'm sure they will want to varify your legal.

They could - but probably wouldnt unless your over weight... How do they know if your overweight without weighing you? Good question.

State troopers learn quickly to look at squatting tires, the way a rig sways, spring and trailer height etc. You may get told by those little electric signs to pull into a weigh station.

I have seen them say all sorts of stuff ont he electronic sign. My favorite "Banana yellow fire engine WEIGH IN NEXT EXIT"

so if they want you they can get you.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:08 am

They have portable scales they can bring to you. They lay them out and make the vehicle drive up onto them. This happened to a Utah burner whose bus was so badly overloaded, it was swaying down I-80. Other drivers called him in to NHP, he was pulled over in someplace like Carlin or Elko. My friend was a passenger and gladly bailed into another vehicle. The bus had to offload cargo on the spot; luckily the other vehicles in the carvan could take the carpet and other crap. Still, bad repacking tore the rack off the RV who was trying to help him out. Yes, he was ticketed. No, I don't know how much the fine was, no one wants to talk about it.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

I have a class A, doubles and triples license and am going to upgrade my box truck and 10,000 gvw car trailer to a semi pulling a flat bed or a roll off truck with a flat bed. All in time. I know I could legally put that container on a well built framework on the car trailer but I think it would be quite unsafe to have so much side surface area being pulled by a small Isuzu NPR.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Postby ibdave » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am

Here in Cen Cal, I buy most of our through United Rental http://ur.com/ or the smaller Rental places. We use them for job site storage the to the main shop for storage after the job is done. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

What are you paying if I may ask ibdave?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Postby ibdave » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:What are you paying if I may ask ibdave?

Depends on timing... 800-1200.00
if they have to many in the yard, condition, ect ect... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

motskyroonmatick

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info. That is the ball park range I am hoping to buy in.

fancy pants

storage.burningman.com - just announced in 2011

Postby fancy pants » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

take a look at http://storage.burningman.com
$2500 weather / water proof + yearly storage and delivery to your camp at burning man

roanokejim

Postby roanokejim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 pm

[quote="gyre"]Not a great price, though cost varies with quality.

Are these kitted out in some way?
Insulated?
Locks?

The 40 foot should be the same price as 20 foot or cheaper.[/quote]

Yeah right. I think that the prices are not fair enough. If you want a good quality you should spend higher prices.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”