Request for any sales sightings on LED Solar string lights

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Minxy

Post by Minxy » Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am

The ones I bought are the clear white ones and they have no color. The website has the different colors and I tried to put some in my cart in different colors but it kept adding the white ones.

I am going to call them today and see about the other colors. My HF told me they have no idea if they are getting anymore of the clear in (they only had 2) much less other colors and I'd really love some of the colored ones.

They aren't SUPER bright just as expected, but they are plenty bright for my needs. I want some for our shade structure poles and some to wrap around bikes and one to wrap around our mailbox so drunk people don't crash into it. :P

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am

illy dilly wrote:FigGam, no I didn't read the reviews... Makes me second guess that idea.
ConnieH wrote:
For the same price, I'd buy this lantern: http://www.harborfreight.com/all-purpos ... 94740.html
I have one and can say it is so awesome I want another one. It comes with an a/c and d/c charger in addition to the solar panel charger. I charge it up at home before we leave, it'll last all night, then I set it in the sun the next day. Charges quick, always bright, the bottom twists off to create a "flood" light, too.
Thanks Connie! Its always great to get a playa tested and approved review!

With regards to the info about running LED lights off of AA batteries. I considered buying one of these http://www.scientificsonline.com/multi- ... panel.html to power charge batteries for some LED xmas lights.
I wonder how many AA batteries it will charge and how long it would take to get them back up to 2200mA? I get a headache trying to figure that stuff out ;-) My solar flood lights have 2 AA batteries inside, so I know the solar panel on each light will charge 2.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm

We bought a generic solar battery charger which handles all different sizes of rechargeable batteries. Works just fine without doing the math. Don't recall if we got it at HF or an off the shelf brand like Energizer/Ray-o-vac or so on.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Minxy wrote:I've tested my http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-rope ... 68353.html solar rope lights and my http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/ ... 94740.html (which I love thanks ConnieH) and I'm VERY pleased.

I want to score at least one more lantern if not two and 4-5 more of the rope strings. Awesome find, Figjam, thankie!
How bright are those rope lights? It's only being powred by 1 AA battery, so I can't think it would be very bright.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm

capjbadger wrote: How bright are those rope lights? It's only being powred by 1 AA battery, so I can't think it would be very bright.

-Badger
I don't know about Minxy's, but my string (that was twice the price, btw), isn't very bright compared to regular a/c rope lights (maybe 30-40% of regular?). It's like the difference between wired in landscape lights and solar landscape lights - you can see them well enough to light your way, but they aren't going to toss enough light to read by.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:I just bought some butterfly ones on amazon but haven't received them yet, so no idea if they're crap or not. :)

I think they're listed under: "Solar Powered Butterfly String Lights 20 LED Light String Butterfly"
I got those last year from Grocery Outlet. Used one string outside my tent, making it easier to find, and the other on my bike, which lasted almost all week.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 am

Yes, ConnieH, they aren't as bright as the AC ones. They are bright enough for me to not be a darkwad on my bike or wrap around my mailbox so no one runs over it or to wrap around guy wires or carport poles in our camp! Which is exactly what I was going for!

I've seen them twice as much all over, too, which is why I was thankful for Figjam's find.

I've since called Harbor Freight's customer service number and they said they are all out of the colored light strings and have no idea if they will be getting more in...so that's that. Bummer, but the clear ones work for my purpose. :)

I went ahead and scored another of the cool solar lantern's that you recommended. LOVE those, they are nice and bright. :) Well not overly so, but decent.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 am

I think you will be suprised how much light the rope lights seem to put out when its pitch black.

I can see everything in a 20ft circle well enough to identify items with the 50 led solar string.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 am

Ya!! They are sweet! And CHEAP!

I mean, I'd love diff colors, but I'm not picky. I'm having two birgins with me this year and although I'm used to navigating our winding personal camp area and avoiding the poles and stuff, I want it nice and lit for the newbies. Plus, it's just neater looking and more homey!

Plus a few rope lights to wind around our bikes (along with some blinkies and el-wire).

clerkkent

Post by clerkkent » Wed May 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I also use the solar stake lights (the kind you put in a garden) to highlight stakes, poles, wires, etc. They have fallen in price to a $1 each for the cheapo ones on sale and they do a decent job.
9 burns and counting. Each one gets better.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm

I do like those, clerkkent, but I've never seen them for that kind of price!!! :shock:

clerkkent

Post by clerkkent » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

I got some at Walgreens (!) on sale with a coupon. just gotta keep your eyes peeled.
9 burns and counting. Each one gets better.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Cool thanks for the tip. :)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”