tee shirt with the man on it?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
xhoosier
Burning Since: 2009

tee shirt with the man on it?

Post by xhoosier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a simple tee shirt with the man on it or a stencil to do it myself. I have seen a few but never asked where they got them. I would like the stencil to cover the whole front.
thanks in advance

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: tee shirt with the man on it?

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Such things are all over the internet, but if you buy one that isn't being used with permission, money is being made off the event, which puts the trademark at risk.

http://www.burningman.com/press/trademarks.html
Excerpt:
TRADEMARKS: The names "Burning Man", "Black Rock City", and "Decompression", as well as the Burning Man symbol, the design of the Man, the design of the city’s lampposts, and the city layout design are all protected by trademark law. They may not be used for any commercial purposes whatsoever without obtaining written permission from Black Rock City LLC. In order to preserve the “Man” image for use in gifting and as an affinity symbol for our culture, we do not license this image to third parties for commercial or outside purposes.
However, you are allowed to make stuff for yourself at cost, or for others as gifts:
GIFTING: So what about gifts? Gifting is one of the principles of the Burning Man event. For more information on what gifting is about, see Ten Principles. Making a gift to give away with the Man symbol, or the words “Burning Man” is absolutely fine, as is putting the design or phrase on your camp's informational website, or going in on a batch of t-shirts (at cost for yourselves or as gifts... using the Man symbol or Burning Man photos on an invitation to a camp fundraiser, or designing promotional materials for your company, or making a Burning Man t-shirt to sell to the public at a Cafe Press shop are not. If you’re not sure, write to us at press (at) burningman.com.
The whole thing is a good read and much more informative as a whole, but the point is--if you're capable of basic graphic design or a friend is, you can design a shirt online at a t-shirt shop and have it shipped to you, or order extras and give them, but you can't sell those shirts, and you shouldn't buy from a stranger who is making a profit.

xhoosier

Post by xhoosier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Savannah,

I understand the trademark kind of issue. I made thousands of earrings and buttons last year and gave them out on the playa. I was asked to sell someone a few to a fellow on the way in but hello no! Give them away and extra special when I got a hug!!. I just saw people with tee shirts and was hoping to find out where I could get one. I would even trade a bunch of earrings or buttons for them.

take care and hope to see ya on the playa,
xhoosier

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:08 pm

You're awesome--I've never seen Burning Man earrings before. Seems like you've got the whole not-making-$$ issue well in hand and are unlikely to reward those who do (inappropriately, anyway). Well, maybe someone who has a spare shirt will want to trade with you. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened on ePlaya.

Oh hey . . . there is a Black Rock City Airbrush camp.
http://playaevents.burningman.com/2011/ ... vent/4534/

So bring a plain shirt in case you find them! They list an email address and might be placed specifically. You could always try looking them up at Playa Info in Center Camp.

You can't get a t-shirt any Burnier than one that was born there!

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 pm

BWB had a silkscreen area setup at their camp. Loads of different colors, and frames with all kinds of different designs including, of course, images of the city and the man.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

xhoosier

Post by xhoosier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Hay Savannah and Bounce,
cool and thank for the info. I will bring along a couple of shirts and hope to find these folks to do some painting. I now remember that I actually had a burning man painted on a tee shirt a few years ago in black light paint. Funny what I forget when you can not see it except under black lights.

Also, I don't have a pic of my earring or buttons on me but if you want some please plan on meeting up. I made a huge batch for last year and handed many out but a it seemed that I found many nights when I would go out to roam and then would remember that I forgot my bag of goodies. So, I have lots more to bring back this year. You are welcome to them.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:41 pm

There were a bunch of very cool and unique shirts on the BM Marketplace website. The prices were very fair for the items, but when I would would go to check out, the shipping charges from InTicket (you remember InTicket from the fucking insane ticket fiasco in January) were out of sight, so I never completed my order. I would have loved to get many of the items on that site. Now, I guess they weren't selling very well, so the shirts and many of the other items are gone. (InTicket strikes again) :roll:

If you get some tee-shirt transfer paper, you can print your very own images of what you would like on a shirt and then iron it on. I've done these before and they really are very durable.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm

I was gifted some rad Man earrings last year. Wonder if they are yours, xhoosier. :)
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

xhoosier

Post by xhoosier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Here is a picture of the buttons I made and the earrings look similar.
Attachments
bm button image2.jpg
bm button image2.jpg (132.54 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Oooh pretty and shiny! Mine are different. Those are really neat!

xhoosier

Post by xhoosier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Come by camp baggage check at 9:30 and anniversary if you want any earrings or buttons and ask for doyle. Hope to see you there

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I'll do my best. :)

jake-a-saurus
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Black Rock City Airbrush

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 am

Black Rock City Denizens,

I was searching for volunteer airbrush artists when I stumbled upon this post

Black Rock City Airbrush would be happy to airbrush a burning man shirt as a gift to you. We will be painting 'round the clock on Tuesday at 10 am till Wed at 10 am. After that we will paint from about 9-am- dark everyday till we run out of air!

we are near party naked tiki bar (in Sin City Villiage) on [b][size=200]7:00 and Esplanade[/size][/b] this year!

hope to see you there!

-Jake

xhoosier

Post by xhoosier » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:01 pm

hi jake,

thank you and I will visit your place.

Happy Burn!!
Mark

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:06 am

xhoosier wrote:Come by camp baggage check at 9:30 and anniversary if you want any earrings or buttons and ask for doyle. Hope to see you there
That's nice of you, Doyle. I'll try to hunt you down but you know how it is out there. :D

firelatin

Post by firelatin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

Nice, I will cum by too and say hi, I will be wearing a blank t shirt by coincidence :-)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”