Got Grocery Outlet?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Got Grocery Outlet?

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 am

For the last few years, I've been able to find a lot of staples and equipment for the Playa at my neighborhood Grocery Outlet. If you find something of use there, go ahead and let the rest of us know. For example:

-3 Mini Halogen Flashlights $5.99
-Garden Sprayers (good for cleaning and cooling) $3.99
-Solar lights strings or path lights $9.99 (not necessarily good as "light" but great for identifying your tent when you are in a drunken stupor
-Cliff Bars .59 (limited flavors; banana bread and Almond Cherry at my location)

Best,
Clarity
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Got Grocery Outlet?

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Have you tested the lights yet? They have them at my local beloved Grocery Outlet, but I am mistrustful. (I should ask if they permit returns if they don't work). I am definitely interested in the cheap lights--and a garden sprayer, if the Outlet nearest me has them. Garden Sprayers are normally $20.

I have already picked up there in preparation: Gorp, Jerky, Turkey Chili (no beans), Hormel Compleats portable meals, Shower curtains, Neo-to-Go, etc.

brody
Burning Since: 2004

Post by brody » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I fucking LOVE Grocery Outlet.

They have really good spray sunblock (around SPF 50) for $3-4 rather than $8-12. Banana Boat, etc. I stock up in the months leading up to Burning Man so I don't have such a huge sunblock bill as the event nears.

I also find great pre-cooked pouches of brown rice there, great for mixing in with stuff without much prep.
All KINDS of awesome foodstuffs, actually, but the sunblock is the best tip I can give.

Their solar lights don't tend to work for crap, though.
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Solar lights are such a pain in the ass! Heh. But if they have some LEDs, I'm thinking about them.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Until I went into the Oakland Grocery Outlet (Bargain Market) the best price I found on 1.75 L handles of Tequila was Bens Liquors in Winnemucca. Ben raised their prices to $15 per bottle a couple of months ago. It was $11.00 per bottle last Winter. Grocery Outlet is $9.95 a bottle. I bought ten cases. To top it off, Costco now has their own house brand of Margarita mix. $6.99 for two 1.75 L bottles. I picked up 30 cases from there. We are good to go.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:For the last few years, I've been able to find a lot of staples and equipment for the Playa at my neighborhood Grocery Outlet. If you find something of use there, go ahead and let the rest of us know. For example:

-3 Mini Halogen Flashlights $5.99
-Garden Sprayers (good for cleaning and cooling) $3.99
-Solar lights strings or path lights $9.99 (not necessarily good as "light" but great for identifying your tent when you are in a drunken stupor
-Cliff Bars .59 (limited flavors; banana bread and Almond Cherry at my location)

Best,
Clarity
I LOVE Clif bars! I just hit my local Grocery Toilet (as we call it ;) ) and picked up a couple boxes of the Banana Bread ones (they have chocolate chips in them. NOM). Thanks for the heads up! At half price, I may pick up a couple more. :D

Now excuse me while I experiment to see if this Mango-grape juice will make a good mixer. 8)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am

See, I like the alternonym "Gross Out" or, for those who remember the really old days for that chain, Dented Cans.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am

No Grocery Outlet in my parts, though we do have Aldi's which I will hit to save money for my other trip to Trader Joe's (which really isn't to sticker shocking expensive)(sorta :wink: ) But I do love the boxed soups from TJ's, and their cooked ready to heat rice mixes and other assorted goodies. But this year I will do the bulk of my shopping at the Wally World in Fernley to save on weight towing a camper from Michigan. Last year I spent 2200$ :shock: in gas so this year I'm gonna see what I can do to keep weight down and mileage up.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

creativecstasy

Post by creativecstasy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:13 am

I was at Grocery Outlet in Berkeley this week and there's an entire endcap of LED solar lights. At least 4 different styles, starting at $1.99/light (ending around $10-12)

A few hours later I saw the single LED ones at the 99c store in Berkeley.

Let's see what Oakland Grocery Outlet has for me tomorrow...

pink
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 am

Does anyone know if there is a Grocery Outlet in Reno? I usually hit the Save Mart to provision, but since I've started shopping at the Grocery Outlets in Sacramento, I find it hard to pay full retail. I have some of the pre-cooked rice pouches too, and the Rancho Cordova one had great veggie Indian pouches to go with. And greek yogurt. Hell, the most I've paid for greek yogurt there has been 50 cents, and sometimes you can get them 6 for a dollar if close to the expiration date.

Post if the lights work, please.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 am

I went back to pick up more Clif bars, but sadly they were out. :cry:

However I took a chance and tried the "fig bars". If you like fig newton type things, these are really tasty. I picked up a box of the "peach/apricot" ones and will be heading back tomorrow to grab a few more boxes. Nom nom nom... :mrgreen:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 am

pink wrote:Does anyone know if there is a Grocery Outlet in Reno? I usually hit the Save Mart to provision, but since I've started shopping at the Grocery Outlets in Sacramento, I find it hard to pay full retail. I have some of the pre-cooked rice pouches too, and the Rancho Cordova one had great veggie Indian pouches to go with. And greek yogurt. Hell, the most I've paid for greek yogurt there has been 50 cents, and sometimes you can get them 6 for a dollar if close to the expiration date.

Post if the lights work, please.
Yes!! there's one on the corner of Kietzke & Peckham. Right in between Harbour Freight & Joanne Fabrics. :D.

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 am

We LOVE Grocery Outlet (or Grocery Whorehouse as Sweetpea calls it)! It's our main source for groceries year round. $150 can fill TWO carts almost full.
Sav, the solar lights are wonderful. We have more than a dozen around the yard. Very helpful as the closest streetlight to our house is about 9 miles away :D.

Do you have a GO near you or where youre going to be?
http://www.groceryoutlet.com/default/StoreFinder.aspx
Yay!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

creativecstasy

Post by creativecstasy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

I went to Grocery Outlet in Oakland today. There's a good number of cases of peanut butter/chocolate Cliff Bars there. No other flavors that I stumbled upon. Fun fact: it's slightly cheaper to buy them buy the case vs. individually at 59c (you save a whole 9 cents!)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

<rolling my eyes> Let me guess, everyone here is too politically correct for Wal-Mart?

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Nah. I refer international travelers to Reno's WalMarts all the time. I've never been inside one, but that is largely a function of them not being located anywhere near me. Just lucky, I guess. :D

Have you been inside a Grocery Outlet?

They're so delightfully strange.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 pm

He just can't stand the thought of all those low market Barbies...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:27 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:<rolling my eyes> Let me guess, everyone here is too politically correct for Wal-Mart?
Hmm... well they were selling 5'x7' area rugs for $20. Far cheaper than anyone else that I've seen selling rugs of the same size.

Didn't get it however since I scored a 12'x11' rug for free off of CL. ;)

-Badger

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 am

at the end of summer my local wal-mart sells the solar malibu lights for as low as $2 each.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am

Years back I saw something that was Wal-Mart brand. It was cheaper than Wal-Mart had priced it...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 am

Doc
Gross Out is a wacky adventure that produces all sorts of surprises. Wal-Mart is so predictable that you know that not only is most of the stuff the same stuff that was there a year ago, but that Wal-Marts coast to coast have it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 am

shroom wrote:at the end of summer my local wal-mart sells the solar malibu lights for as low as $2 each.
Just make sure you test the light before you get to the Playa. I bought a bunch of solar walk lights (iirc they were GE not malibu) at Wally Mart earlier this Summer that wouldn't stay lit for more than 2 hours on a full sunny day charge and ended up returning them all.

I have in the past had good luck with the Malibu solars and even have a few that are 10 years old and working well, but everything seems to be made crappier these days.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

clerkkent

Re: Got Grocery Outlet? lights!

Post by clerkkent » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Savannah wrote:Have you tested the lights yet? They have them at my local beloved Grocery Outlet, but I am mistrustful. (I should ask if they permit returns if they don't work).
I have purchased these before; 2 sets last year and took them to the playa. They did a decent job.. you can't read a book by them, but hanging them in our domes gave you enough light to have a romantic dinner and recognize faces. I bought another one this year, but it was a dud, and they permitted returns ; just have your receipt, and bring the item back in its original packaging. I got a replacement strand, and it works too.
9 burns and counting. Each one gets better.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”