Can I rent your car for airport pick up on Thursday?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Dr. Buddha

Can I rent your car for airport pick up on Thursday?

Post by Dr. Buddha » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey this is John (aka Dr. Buddha) the guy with the Buddha car( http://www.gypsymonkeys.com/gallery.php?g2_itemId=1341 ). I'm a 10 year veteran Burner and part of the Gypsy Monkey Camp (we've just been placed at 3:00 and Funeral). I'm an early arrival and driving an RV with a trailer but my girlfriend (aka The Toi) is flying in on Thursday (United flight 5511 arriving at 6:05 pm) and I need to pick her up from the airport. I am looking to see if there is anybody out there who might be willing to rent me their car for just a few short hours so I can go get her. If you've read this far you might be considering it so let me just tell you that I am a very responsible 46 year old guy with no traffic violations, excellent auto insurance (State Farm) and have never been in an accident. I would take your car directly from the Playa to the Airport to pick her up and then drive directly back to the Playa stopping only to fill your gas tank to the top. I know most people will be thinking the same thing "I'm not too sure about this" but your car would be in good and loving hands, you would be doing a fellow Burner a great favor and I would PAY YOU FOR IT! I am willing to discuss any price and will also bring it back full of gas. You can email me directly at [email protected]. If you are even remotely considering it please contact me via email and I will send you my phone number so we can talk about it. Have a great Burn!

Sham

Re: Can I rent your car for airport pick up on Thursday?

Post by Sham » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 pm

No fucking way!

But let me offer a constructive suggestion. There are people around you who need or want to take a run to Reno for supplies. You may ask around when you get to the playa and offer to pay the re-entry fee and $30 in gas. Someone probably doesn't have a specific time they need to go, and can work around your girlfriend's flight.

Another idea is, once you get there and make some friends nearby, you would have a much better chance borrowing their car.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah I'm with Shambala,
To try and talk some folks on the Internet into letting you borrow their car, sounds highly unlikely.

But, Kuddos for trying to figure it out and make it work.

I will offer this bit of info.
I have a very very good friend flying in kinda early on Wednesday. I'm not throwing it out there on the ride share board just yet. But is there any way your GF could move her flight to Wednesday?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Dr. Buddha

Post by Dr. Buddha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for the reply and the ideas (both of you). I know it's a slim chance but I figured I'd give it a try anyway. I can always (and will probably end up having to) drive the RV to the airport so I'm not in a desperate position. I just thought there might be someone who could use an extra $100 and is willing to investigate to see if I'm legit and responsible. Its all good. I'm just looking forward to getting that sweet, sweet dust in my teeth! Thanks again and stop by the Gypsy Monkey camp if you happen to be passing by just to say hi.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Isn't there a Bus that goes from the Reno Airport to the Playa?

your GF should just catch the shuttle bus...
)'(

Dr. Buddha

Post by Dr. Buddha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 pm

No there is not. But thanks for the idea.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

last year on the Reno Craigslist I saw shuttle services being offered by private parties, it may be worth your while to check these out as well. It was closer to the burn when I saw the ads...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 pm

I think back in 09 someone got popped for running a livery service without a license, or something like that, so 'd consider that a dubious plan.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “2011 Share Resources”