An alternate rideshare board

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
vlw202

An alternate rideshare board

Post by vlw202 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:34 am

Some burners created this. It's SO much better than the official on that doesnt work:

BurningManRides.com
/VWB

igor47

Re: the REAL rideshare board

Post by igor47 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:48 pm

ugh, i tried to use this website but gave up.

they allow at least 6 websites to track you when you use their site -- google, facebook, twitter, mixpanel, amazon, and kissmetrics (the guys who track you even when you opt for privacy by clearing your cookies). they want you to log in using your facebook, which lets them link you to a real identity, and there's no way to NOT use facebook if you want to use the site. their privacy policy and terms of use are many pages long, and don't really promise you anything.

stay away if you care about your privacy.

vlw202

Post by vlw202 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 pm

bummer. i didnt even think about it. hope my soul isnt stolen. :(
/VWB

fireglee

Post by fireglee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi, I'm one of the people working on BurningManRides.com, and we don't do anything the least bit shady. It's free, and there's no ads. It's true our privacy policy is long, but that's only because we haven't had time yet to make it shorter, and we thought people would want to see that we cared. We've got over 500 rides posted now, and we're trying to make sure everyone finds a ride.

I sent this response to Igor (who posted above) on Friday night after he emailed me about his comment here on ePlaya, and haven't heard back yet as of Monday, so I thought I'd post my reply to him:

"Hi Igor,

My name is Kalvin, and I'm one of the two developers who helped make the site out here in San Francisco, so I thought I'd respond! Thanks for the compliments on the design. We actually only use Google Analytics (which the whole web uses, including eplaya) and Mixpanel (which is like GA, but newer) for analytics. We've removed kissmetrics in response to your email (didn't know about that.) If you're interested in the details, here they are:

- Google Analytics: yes, we use GA like almost every website does, e.g., Burning Man's own website, and eplaya, also use Google Analytics. You can choose to block GA on every website if you'd like (google it), but to be honest, it "tracks" you much less than using Google (or any search engine) itself to search. All it does is tell us how we can make BurningManRides.com better (for example, if our photos are too wide for our visitors' screen widths.)
- Mixpanel: Mixpanel is just like Google Analytics, but newer and maybe better. We're trying it out; like GA, you can block it.
- Kissmetrics: it looks like they're no longer doing what you said (ignore your cookie settings), but we've removed them.
- Facebook / Twitter: I think you're referring to the "Like" and "Tweet" buttons? Those don't do anything unless you decide to use them.
- Amazon: I think you're looking at the little bar at the bottom of your browser to see what websites show up? The reason Amazon shows up there is that they run Amazon Web Services (AWS), which is where we store our pictures (like the playa photos at the top of the page), so when you load the page, your browser loads the photos from AWS. Our site itself also runs on AWS servers. If we showed photos from Flickr (a photo service) instead, then Flickr would show up in the bottom bar. That doesn't mean they're tracking you.

I do apologize for the Facebook account requirement-- there are good reasons for it; most people like having the assurance that it's (almost always) a "real person" with their real first name and photo. But we do plan to add other logins-- it's just that it will take us a while to do it right, and the burn is happening so soon.

Thanks for letting us know about the eplaya comment-- I'll wait for your reply before posting a response on eplaya tomorrow (unless you don't want to to reply to this email, that's fine of course :) let me know if you have any questions! I appreciate your vigilance."

If you've got any questions, feel free to reply to this post!
I help run BurningManRides.com, a free ridesharing site for Burning Man 2011 with over 500 rides listed! If you've got space in your vehicle, please help someone out and list it.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:30 pm

The official rideshare board does manage to work for a few thousand folks. As with any site, your mileage may vary. Good luck connecting the dots and getting things sorted regardless of how you do it.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 pm

I like the burningman rides platform, real simple for a simple task, but like Trilo said, whatever gets you there.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”