ATV TEK Dust Mask on Amazon

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
mapearls

ATV TEK Dust Mask on Amazon

Postby mapearls » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 am

Anyone ever use the ATV TEK dust mask? Its designed for motocross and ATV riders.
The product says it filters out 99.9% of dust particles but wanted to see if there was playa tested.
I've already searched the forum without sign of this being asked, and would like your feedback.
http://www.amazon.com/ATV-TEK-RIDER-DUS ... B003FKNAGS

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: ATV TEK Dust Mask on Amazon

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:23 am

It'd probably work, but that's kind of pricey for a single mask that may not fit right. Many people use wet bandanas or N95 respiratory masks. The disposable masks are around 20/box for $13 at Northern Safety.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mapearls

Postby mapearls » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 am

not as pricey as other models out there like the respro.
regardless, reusable >> single use?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 am

Only if you're going to really reuse it much. How often are you going to use that dust mask in other conditions? Buying it just for BM is a waste. With the disposable ones you can wear them, gift them, and even reuse them. One 20-pack for $13 can last you 20 years. Who needs reusable in that case unless you need it for other purposes?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 am

Looks fancy. Part of me thinks "oh cool" but the other part of me thinks it's not something I'd want to be wearing all the time. The advantage of using a bandana or an N95 filter mask is they're very easy to have on your person all the time, which is necessary because dust storms are never considerate enough to share their plans with us in advance. So the primary consideration in my opinion isn't how much it costs, but whether you're willing to carry it with you everywhere for a week.

Grab_Bag

Postby Grab_Bag » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 pm

It is still half the price of a playa lung unit so I don't consider it outrageously expensive. Some of the military folks I have spoken to have used this model (or at least similar looking ones) and said they loved it on deployment. Hell I think it is so cool I might buy one. But Trilobyte is right, if it is not easy to have on you then you wont use it. Even if I do pick one up rest assured I will still be packing a few bandannas out to the playa.
The Fools look, the Educated see, the Wise understand.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Those Respro masks are worth every nickel. I've used one out there for two years now. I've tried most of the alternatives and nothing compares. Those disposable ones are pieces of crap. Nicest thing about the Respros is that they stay cool when you exhale, unlike most others.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Marscrumbs

Postby Marscrumbs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Hell, I just ponied up on ebay for a new SEA/Scout full face view
gas mask with biological, chemical and nuclear protection grade filters. Why settle for less?

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 pm

I think it looks cool enough to get even if it didn't work. I once spent about the same amount of money on a faux fur jacket that doesn't really work that good.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”