About these storage containers in Gerlach...

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Packoderm

About these storage containers in Gerlach...

Post by Packoderm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I'd offer to bring the empty containers to your camp at the end of the burn. You'd all bring your stuff and use it at the festival like normal, and then pack it all up in the storage container for the nice man, or woman, to pick up and take away and then bring back the following year. It sounds like a major hassle to schlep all your stuff to Gerlach before Burning Man and drive back home just to have them cart it in the final few miles. I think you'd have to be very committed to attending Burning Man the following year. It would suck to pay for storage just for something to come up.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)

Packoderm

Re: About these storage containers in Gerlach...

Post by Packoderm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Maybe I should have posted this in the "This Thread Will Die Shortly" thread. LOL, well, a small chuckle anyway.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm

I think the Gerlach storage option is still pretty new, and not a lot of people are very familiar with it, or have looked into how they could make use of it to save on transportation and storage costs. That, and this probably belongs in Share Resources, instead of Q&A. I'll give it a move, and hopefully a few people making use of the program see it and get in touch with you.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Could you please ellaborate on what it is you're talking about.
I'm a little confused, but interested. We're gonna have to get a storage unit anyway, why not in NV?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Never mind, what I was thinking as a proposal is exactly how I suspect the official Burning Man storage system works. Maybe somebody here knows more about it. I'm interested in hearing about it. We'll be bringing so much shade, couches, etc. It would be so easy to just have it there waiting at our camp.

The storage system is where they deliver a storage shipping container to your camp on the playa and pick it up when it's all over. You are not able to access the container during the other 51 weeks that the festival is not occurring.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah, it's a killer if you want to repair or upgrade anything. Or want to clean it, afaict.

It suddenly occurs to me that Empire Storage is...what? Gone? completely empty except for burners?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

allot of camps have been storing stuff at Bruno's for years, it's not a new idea, BM just decided to cash in on the trend.

Some of the large camps have a major infrastructure that costs a fortune to transport all the way home, if you can store it out in the desert for a fraction of the cost, why not. it's not like you're going to use the stuff any other time of the year.
)'(

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 pm

From what I understand, the rates are in the range of reasonable. I wouldn't think it as much a matter of "cashing in" as much as trying to help people with the logistics. Space has been harder to come by as the event grows and more people are coming from greater distances, and all of that. They're not currently taking any more applications, but more info about the program can be found here.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”