DC -> BM; plans flopped, how best to re-plan?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Vaialos

DC -> BM; plans flopped, how best to re-plan?

Post by Vaialos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi folks,

Plan was to cross-country trek with friends (and camp, but that's a secondary concern), buy gear in ~Reno, and proceed to BM. They've had to cancel due to a death in the family, however, so I'm in a bit of a bind.

How do you all recommend I proceed at this point? Ridesharing from DC is a pretty slim shot, this late in the game, and I don't want to drive cross-country myself (or with my own car). What do you all recommend? Should I fly into SanFran, Reno, Vegas, and try and catch a rideshare in there? Should I rent a car from one of those sites? Should I hold out hope for a hail-Mary rideshare? I'm trying not to go into full panic mode, but things are looking slightly grim.

Thanks! Please let me know if this is in the wrong forum.

-J
Μολὼν λαβέ
Don't Panic.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: DC -> BM; plans flopped, how best to re-plan?

Post by Elderberry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Since you're already going into panic mode, I'd simply book a flight to Reno and rent a car there. This way, you'll be able to shop for supplies and whatnot too.
Vaialos wrote:Hi folks,

Plan was to cross-country trek with friends (and camp, but that's a secondary concern), buy gear in ~Reno, and proceed to BM. They've had to cancel due to a death in the family, however, so I'm in a bit of a bind.

How do you all recommend I proceed at this point? Ridesharing from DC is a pretty slim shot, this late in the game, and I don't want to drive cross-country myself (or with my own car). What do you all recommend? Should I fly into SanFran, Reno, Vegas, and try and catch a rideshare in there? Should I rent a car from one of those sites? Should I hold out hope for a hail-Mary rideshare? I'm trying not to go into full panic mode, but things are looking slightly grim.

Thanks! Please let me know if this is in the wrong forum.

-J
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

chandlerstewart

Post by chandlerstewart » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey dude - got room for 1 more from Vegas to burning man in my van if you're up for it. You'll be the 3rd. May get a 4th to bring gas costs down, may not.

I estimate gas Vegas - BM - Vegas to be about $400 ($50 each way if we are 4).

Though 3 may be better for space.

Call if interested amigo.

-CHandler 702-884-3731

Vaialos

Post by Vaialos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

chandlerstewart wrote:Hey dude - got room for 1 more from Vegas to burning man in my van if you're up for it. You'll be the 3rd. May get a 4th to bring gas costs down, may not.

I estimate gas Vegas - BM - Vegas to be about $400 ($50 each way if we are 4).
Might take you up on it; will check for a few more opinions before I commit, but I appreciate it. Will coordinate details with you via PM.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Don't Panic.

discoguruinoz

Post by discoguruinoz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey dude I know of a girl in sanfran who needs a ticket and is looking at driving in from there. If your friends aren't going and want too sell or gift a ticket she would be very keen to here from you. She has also offered to help people even if she cant get a ticket. let me know where your at and I will forward you her details. She also has a post in the rideshare board I think.
Guru

All else fails go it alone and enjoy the adventure.

Vaialos

Post by Vaialos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:48 pm

They've already sold their tickets (quite quickly), but thanks for the info; I'll check the SFO rideshares. :)
Μολὼν λαβέ
Don't Panic.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Would you find a passenger, or is that too late, too?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Vaialos

Post by Vaialos » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Not sure I understand; you're asking if I'd take on a passenger if I rented a car of my own?
Μολὼν λαβέ
Don't Panic.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah, basically. I thought that people without rides might be more common than rides without people at this point.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “2011 Share Resources”