What are you hoping to find at Burning Man?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
BohemianRaspberry

What are you hoping to find at Burning Man?

Post by BohemianRaspberry » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:33 pm

My first thread here (oh no, I'm scared!) but, as a Burning Man virgin eagerly awaiting the coming festivities (only 244 more days! I'm hyped!) I was just wondering what I should be working on for gifting to people and what you might be intrested in coming back with.

Personaly, I'm hoping I make friends with someone who knows how to dreadlock and is willing to help me getting my own set started. Are there many people might do that type of thing at Burning Man?

I'm an artist (aren't we all?) and'll be bringing as large a selection of pre-made art, supplies, and body paints as I can find and cram into my dear friend's car comfortably (it's a long drive to Nevada from Canada!) and possibly the equipment for a couple of tattoos. Is there anything else that might be wanted on the Playa that would be a good idea to bring as gifts?

Peace. I'll see ya on the Playa!
-Niq
-Niq

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:59 pm

Playa dust will create natural dreadlocks ... all you need is a little wind and dont wash your hair for a couple of days :)

Bring your art and the gift of you, experiance the place and spend your time on the long trip home thinking up awesome stuff for 06.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Look around and you will find multiple threads on gifting. One of the points made in many messages is that the 'gift' need not be a thing at all, for example, your profile states that you juggle, so juggle for people, teach people how to juggle. Things like that.
I like playing with fire.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:12 pm

teach people how to juggle.
That's a great idea. Last year, a fabulous person by the name of Leaf taught me to walk on stilts...he made and brought a whole bunch of pairs to teach people how. We became great friends and at the end of the week he gave me a pair! How cool is that? This is one of my favorite connections I've made on the playa. I think Juggling classes would be super-fantastic.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: What are you hoping to find at Burning Man?

Post by PurpleKoosh » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:56 am

BohemianRaspberry wrote:I'm an artist (aren't we all?) and'll be bringing as large a selection of pre-made art, supplies, and body paints as I can find and cram into my dear friend's car comfortably (it's a long drive to Nevada from Canada!) and possibly the equipment for a couple of tattoos.
If you're talking about the non-temporary variety of tattoo, I'd skip this altogether. I got a new tat last summer, and I made damn sure to time it so the skin would be fully healed before I got to the desert. Playa dust is as fine as talcum powder, and a million times more pervasive; no matter how hard you tried, you wouldn't be able to get a truly dust-free environment to do the work in, and aftercare would be impossible.

That said, and apropos of nothing - I adore your username.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:41 am

Ditto to what purple said. Last year I had open healing surgical incisions, 32 of them. Keeping them clean and dust free was a pain. I got off lucky with no infection.

Teaching a skill, that is cool. in fact RG's new-found stilt ability let him put up my Halloween decorations. Lots of folks would love to learn juggling.

I'm likely going to create Anti M's Home for Wayward Art, a sort of art gifting um, thingy. I'm hoping small pieces of art will come and go, an adoption/donation/exchange where folks can take anything they like and leave what they want to pass on. I really suck at painting, so the Home for Wayward Art will begin by housing bad, bad art; art which needs to be taken home and punished.

I think you're on the right track!

BohemianRaspberry

Thanks folks!

Post by BohemianRaspberry » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks for all of your help folks! I'm really really hyped about getting out there (243 days!) and just wanted to make damn sure I knew what I was getting into with it and if there was anything that people were looking for that might be cool to bring.
juggle for people, teach people how to juggle
Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks Silver, I'll definately give it a try!
Playa dust is as fine as talcum powder, and a million times more pervasive; no matter how hard you tried, you wouldn't be able to get a truly dust-free environment to do the work in, and aftercare would be impossible.
Man am I an idiot. Thankyou for pointing that out Purple, I hadn't even thought of it having done tatts out of the back of a camping trailer last summer up here in pretty much dust-free mountain country. I'll look into getting the stuff for temps or just bring a bunch of body paint for anyone who's intrested then. Just out of curiosity, what's your tattoo of?
I'm likely going to create Anti M's Home for Wayward Art, a sort of art gifting um, thingy. I'm hoping small pieces of art will come and go, an adoption/donation/exchange where folks can take anything they like and leave what they want to pass on.
AntiM that's a wonderful idea! I'll be sure to drop in! I love the idea of the BM soooo much with the lack of market and monetary value. Why can't we live like that all the time?!
-Niq

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: Thanks folks!

Post by PurpleKoosh » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:42 pm

BohemianRaspberry wrote:
Playa dust is as fine as talcum powder, and a million times more pervasive; no matter how hard you tried, you wouldn't be able to get a truly dust-free environment to do the work in, and aftercare would be impossible.
Man am I an idiot. Thankyou for pointing that out Purple, I hadn't even thought of it having done tatts out of the back of a camping trailer last summer up here in pretty much dust-free mountain country. I'll look into getting the stuff for temps or just bring a bunch of body paint for anyone who's intrested then. Just out of curiosity, what's your tattoo of?
It's based on the Zen Ranger patch from 2002. Pictures of the whole process are here.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:41 pm

AntiM wrote:I'm likely going to create Anti M's Home for Wayward Art, a sort of art gifting um, thingy. I'm hoping small pieces of art will come and go, an adoption/donation/exchange where folks can take anything they like and leave what they want to pass on. I really suck at painting, so the Home for Wayward Art will begin by housing bad, bad art; art which needs to be taken home and punished.

I think you're on the right track!
I think there might be some Virgin art this year that will need a home. Think you can take a couple of pieces and see that they get a properly punished.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:59 am

This sounds like I'll need to make an Art Flogger and a pillory!

The Wayward Home will be more like a multi-layered wayward wall as we will anchor it to out flat trailer much like we did with the fridge doors a couple years ago. I'm thinking uprights, chicken wire, metal ribbons bulletin board style, and shelves, plus plenty of wire, duct tape, clips and clamps, and nails to hold the art down so it does not become AOOP.

And then there's signage ...

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:25 pm

On the playa I am looking for a sunburn, serious nose goobers casued by dust and as much free booze as I can guzzle in a sitting. And even though I'm not looking for it I often end up with wind chapping, sleep deprivation and bags under the eyes, not to mention skewed perspectives and a vague sense that it would have better next year.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:33 am

art
music
fire
performance
costumery
laughter

these are the best gifts

they can be shared with the greatest number of people

memories are far easier to carry home
Buckethead, Buckethead you are like an Alien
Buckethead, Buckethead your head is like a dish
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you wear the Maybelline
Buckethead, Buckethead sometimes you're full of fish

Buttsex Avocado
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: one less art car
Location: Earth, but this address is comfortably seated in Portlandia, Oreganic

What type of gifts to bring

Post by Buttsex Avocado » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Bring the gift of your innocence
Bring yourself to the Post Office
Bring good news from Canada
Bring your leadership
Bring your brilliance
Bring yourself (get there safely in one piece)
Nutmeg Alfredo
http://brcpo2oh.weebly.com/

trocar

Post by trocar » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:50 pm

Bring the gift of your innocence
Bring yourself to the Post Office
Bring good news from Canada
Bring your leadership
Bring your brilliance
Bring yourself (get there safely in one piece)
Bring enough room so that I can go back to Canada with you

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Hello fellow Canadian! Last year I brought 'Canadian' things- candied salmon (very popular), maple syrup, most excellent coffee. Next year I will bring some booze that I sadly discovered is not in the US. Mostly though I gave out EmergenCee's, which are cheaper at Trader Joe's in Reno than you could imagine. Do not stock up in Canada like we did.

Lip balm.

Don't worry too much about gifts, about what other people want, just bring things that you would like to share with other people, things that you like or do. There will be someone else there who will appreciate it. After your first year you'll have a better sense about what works on the playa and what doesn't.

So you're in Calgary...do you come out to the Kootenays for Shambhala ever?

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:38 pm

Playa dust will create natural dreadlocks ... all you need is a little wind and dont wash your hair for a couple of days
You cannot pay enough $ to the trendiest salons anywhere to get the coveted 'playa hair' which Lahanton gifts you.

Period.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:38 pm

Ooops. I think Isotopia meant to say that.
Desert dogs drink deep.

bullD

Post by bullD » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:22 pm

"What are you hoping to find at Burning Man?"

Brilliance
Love
connections
fun
But most importantly, I hope to find myself giving more than before...

:)

creoleflame

Post by creoleflame » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:08 am

i am hoping to find freedom...

... a freedom rarely experienced in our country to be who i am with nothing but... who i am.

i dare not hope for a gathering free of pre-judgement, for in human nature on the conscious, subconscious, and unconscious levels, it is who we are.

i want to meet and mingle, laugh and cry, drink and be merry, and share in that which truly is the burning man.

simply freedom.
"Do, or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:35 am

BohemianRaspberry,

I was a virgin last year and I had the same questions. I gleaned from reading eplaya pre-event (like you) that gifting was sorta expected. What I didn't understand was the larger BM concept of gifting. Anyone can buy cheap crap and give it away. Please don't do that. It will end up as MOOP or something that someone has to haul around. What I realized was startlingly simple. A gift can be anything that brings pleasure to someone else.

Your body paint tats will almost surely be a big hit. I found that art, services and consumables were pretty popular. My favorite gifts were the interactions I had with people. The trinkets, while cool in their own right, are just symbols that bring back the wonderful memories.

This year I plan of giving more back to the event. Last year I didn't worry too much about art, I was just worried about getting there. This year I want to create something to share. Nothing too complicated, just something unique. I am also going to offer a personal service to attract people. Then I'm going to boldly engage them and share with them the art of my weirdness.

And I want to bring a crap load more blinkies and glowies to give to "Stealth Burners". You know, those people you can't see at night until you just about run over them. Do they make glowsticks that fit on the end of tranquilizer darts? What's the size limit on stealth burners anyways? What about road kill? Even hottie road kill?

What do I want from BM? Not much. I think the more I pour into it this year, the more I'll get out of it. I'm coming for the good times and great people. I think we'll all find plenty of those on the playa.

Take Care,

S3

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:02 pm

I want booze. It's about the booze.

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:54 pm

dust.
surlier than thou

phoenix13

Post by phoenix13 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:49 pm

I don't *expect* to find anything...

But I hope to find a lot more then I did last year. :)
And in time we will all burn and become a new.

bullD

Post by bullD » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm

phoenix13 wrote:I don't *expect* to find anything...

ehhh, phoenix, it is *hope* to find, not expect. Now, I hope to find YOU on the playa this year. :)

phoenix13

Post by phoenix13 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:00 pm

bullD wrote:
phoenix13 wrote:I don't *expect* to find anything...

ehhh, phoenix, it is *hope* to find, not expect. Now, I hope to find YOU on the playa this year. :)
Well, I'm going to be camped with Spike's.

So, if anyone's interested in a visit, I'm supposed to be DJing there and dancing.

bullD

Post by bullD » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:22 am

Spike's!!! Nice! Good people. See ya there...

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:53 am

Good ecstasy and, um, I guess good weed? Oh yeah, lots of connectivity, community and revealations too. Plus some laughs.
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

lothos 1162

Post by lothos 1162 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:19 am

I'm hoping to find somebody in a fish costume with a jar of vasaline.Lothos has spoken

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:01 am

Ranger Genius wrote:.... This is one of my favorite connections I've made on the playa. I think Juggling classes would be super-fantastic.
Last year I offered Escrima (it's a Philippine martial art) lessons to various classmates and it was a blast. Not only were we swinging sticks at each other with much glee, but it also made for a nice little bit of stress relief for me when dealing with BMOrg just got to be too kafka-like...

So if you want to play with sticks for a bit, come on by Shady (known as Bluehouse in years past) and say hi.

Ron

phoenix13

Post by phoenix13 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:32 pm

Ok, how about I revamp the expect...

I expect piece of mind...

OK, I expect a piece of a lot of things;)

Return to “2011 Share Resources”