Electric Wheelchair stuff?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Mr. Fixit

Electric Wheelchair stuff?

Post by Mr. Fixit » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:32 am

Howdy Burners!
Here comes 2005...
Hot Wheelz Camp seeks any used electric wheelchairs or electric wheelchair parts in any condition.
Our Theme Camp needs these items to build Hot Wheelz Cartz for use by fellow Burners with mobility challenges.
Thanx in advance for your consideration.
Mr. Fixit

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Mr. Fixit

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:54 pm

As you can tell, folks, Mr. Fixit is not a "taker". He gives a great deal and in this case to a group of individuals that may drop tears of joy on the playa because of your contribution.

Do it now so he has time to work his mutant magic on your parts and supplies.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:41 am

I'll keep an eye on St.vinnies & Goodwill. They get beater chairs for parting out.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Mr. Fixit

Thank you for Participating

Post by Mr. Fixit » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:50 am

Thanx, used or even broken parts are just great! I can combine various components to reach our goal of providing mobility. Mr. Fixit

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:11 am

I don't suppose I'd gain any points by stealing a wheelchair from someone on the street.

Okay, I'll just say that I really appreciate what you're doing. It's a real mitzvah.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't suppose I'd gain any points by stealing a wheelchair from someone on the street.
try the hospitals, if they are in the morgue you know they are not being used anymore.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:00 am

Oh heck, just go to the rich, well endowed hopsitals, wait for someone to check out and get picked up at the curb and then swoop! I figure they can afford to replace.

Wait those are manuel. Back to the drawing board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 am

Not exactly as powerful as wheelchair drive systems, but I see more and more of those Power Wheels plastic kiddie cars on the curb, often with batteries still in place....(arrgghh! Landfill batteries!!!) I made a pathetic, yet ugly, ripoff Segway from the rear axle of one of these beauties not long ago. The motors actually create LOTS of torque!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mr. Fixit

Great Idea!

Post by Mr. Fixit » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:19 am

Thanx for a great idea. The lighter the better, and those little kiddie cars are very light drive systems. With just a slight upgrade to the battery storage capacity, those little motors might work just fine. I will keep my eye out for them.

unjonharley

Re: Great Idea!

Post by unjonharley » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:39 am

Mr. Fixit wrote:Thanx for a great idea. The lighter the better, and those little kiddie cars are very light drive systems. With just a slight upgrade to the battery storage capacity, those little motors might work just fine. I will keep my eye out for them.
_
Hey, You saw mine last year. A $140 scooter, double battery packs and training wheels. The extra batteries from a dead razor-type scooter, straped in and wired through a double throw double pull switch. The extra wheels from H.F. The axel is threaded rod w\1x1 angal for support and locked in with double nuts on each side of the wheels. Been rideing it year around. Dianna O Thirst will design a horse head & tail for the scooter this year.

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:11 pm

Hello Mr. Fixit! I heard about your cause through Mister Jellyfish. I'd like to help if I can. I'd definitely be willing to be a transporter with an art car during the burn but also would like info on how to get wheelchair parts to you from San Diego if I can get any? Lemme know and I'll get on it! :D

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:31 pm

Lemmeknow if you want a JRS posting on this one!

Mr. Fixit

Transporting Wheelchair Stuff From San Diego

Post by Mr. Fixit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:18 am

Howdy Bronwen,
Thanx for you offer of help with our cause. If you find any used electric wheelchairs or parts at free or extremely low prices, let me know. We can work out shipping expenses if the items are usable by Hot Wheelz Camp. I pay for all of this stuff myself but if the right deal comes along I don't mind scrounging up the $$$. [email protected]
Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit

Jack Rabit Speaks addition

Post by Mr. Fixit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:46 am

Howdy Actiongirl,
Saw your replay to my post on eplaya. Thanx for offering to add a blurb in JRS. Yes, I want to do that. Hot Wheelz Camp has been providing our specially-modified Mutant Vehicles to fellow Burners with disibilities for three years. Now I hope to migrate to smaller vehicles than the golf cart based vehicles we have been using. Electirc Wheelchairs with my special modifications and beautifications would work GREAT. So... please post the shit printed below in a future edition of our beloved JRS. And a heartfelt THANK YOU!!

Begin>>>>>>
Hot Wheelz Camp seeks Electric Wheelchairs
We are in need of any Electric Wheelchairs, working or not. Also, we desprately need any Electric Wheelchair parts, in any condition. These items will be lovingly repaired or modified for use by our fellow Burners with mobility challenges during BM 2005 and beyond. Please contact me by email: [email protected] if you have any of this stuff or any info or ideas. Thanx
Mr. Fixit
P.S. Please consider wheelchair accessability when designing your Themecamp, Mutant Vehicle or Activity. We hope to enhance the ability for ALL OF US to Participate!
End>>>>>>>

Thanx again Actiongirl!
Mr. Fixit

Bronwen

Post by Bronwen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 pm

Hello Mr. Fixit

I have been offered an electric wheelchair which needs 2 front wheels. I'm going to pick it up here in San Diego. How should I get it to you?

:o)

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 pm

Do you have any use for non-electric wheelchairs?

Mr. Fixit

Non-electric wheelchairs not needed

Post by Mr. Fixit » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:29 pm

Thank you very much, however we do not need any more non-electric wheelchairs at this time.
Mr. Fixit

QueenQuill

Post by QueenQuill » Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 pm

Yay! Mr. Fixit, you seem to be just the man I've been looking for. You can read more on why, here:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=8652

So, how does one go about procuring a Hot Wheelz Cart for use at BM? I would be happy to donate anything I can come up with. I have several resources I can check out to see about parts and such for your project, and will get right on finding some parts for you, whether you can help me personally, or not.

Your project sounds fabulous, and I thank you so much for helping the disabled, like myself. I've had several back problems for a little over ten years now, and it's so wonderful when people take time and effort to help out. That's one reason why I like Burners so much, they're some of the kindest, and most generous people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Thank you so much for being one of those people, and for your wonderful contributions. *HUGS*

Please let me know more about your project, and what I can do to help, via PM, or email at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Peace, Love, Flame, and Dust,

-Ash
Peace, Love, Flame, and Dust -Ash

Mr. Fixit

Hot Wheelz Camp

Post by Mr. Fixit » Fri May 20, 2005 1:10 pm

Howdy Queen Quill,
Thanx for inquiring about the services of Hot Wheelz Camp. Yes, we offer our Hot Wheelz Cartz for use in Black Rock City.

Our primary goal is to enhance an alter-abled person's ability to PARTICIPATE!! We like to focus on what people CAN do! Our gift of mobility will hopefully be used to facilitate inclusion within the activities of the Burning Man community.

Badger has it right, my Hot Wheelz Carts are for temporary, scheduled use. (We have very high demand and limited resources.) If you need exclusive transportation then you will be better off getting your own Mutant Vehicle.

In any case, we would love to have you participate in our Hot Wheelz Themecamp. You may use our Hot Wheelz Cartz if you need. Or, if you get your own vehicle then maybe you could help our cause by offering to transport some of our alter-abled fellow Burners!

Big Dale aka Mr. Fixit Hot Wheelz Camp Host
http://groups.msn.com/HotWheelzCamp

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:29 pm

Went to a scooter shop to buy a $15 tube. Next stopped at Harbor Freight The same tube was $2.98. The best part of it was the guy that sold me the $15 tube was there buying wheels. Fuck him and the horse he was riding. I'm going back to see if HF"s wheel have the same bolt patern as my scooter. A mounted tire/tube/rim $9.98. May not be the best you can buy but sure helps the set income folks.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:22 am

Just got back from HF and mounted my new electric wheel chair tires. They are on sale today at $4.99 per. A new gray one runs $45.00 per. These may not be as good. But I can afford to buy more than one set at this price. Still going to bring the old ones for MR Fixit. Some one may need one to run the rest of the week on. Oh ya that price (4.99) includes the tube too.

Mr. Fixit

Can use the gray tires!

Post by Mr. Fixit » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 am

Thanx for offering to bring the gray tires, we can use them!!! See ya on-playa. Mr. Fixit

munney

I have a 36 volt charger....

Post by munney » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Hey Yall,

JR here and I recently bought a forklift/golfcart charger to use for my Mutant Vehicle,

I was planning on selling it on ebay.

I am not sure if it is something you may be able to use, or possably have a need for....

Let me know at [email protected]

JohnyR

aka, Uncle Uncool,
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

munney

I have a 36 volt charger....

Post by munney » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Hey Yall,

JR here and I recently bought a forklift/golfcart charger to use for my Mutant Vehicle,

I was planning on selling it on ebay.

I am not sure if it is something you may be able to use, or possably have a need for....

Let me know at [email protected]

JohnyR

aka, Uncle Uncool,
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Return to “2011 Share Resources”