How to attach glow-in-the-dark stars?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

How to attach glow-in-the-dark stars?

Postby Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 7:20 pm

So I have these thick, hard plastic constellations I want to attach to a cape that I'm making so that I can wear the night sky, but I'm having a bit of trouble attaching the stars. They're too hard to poke holes through (to sew them) and they're too small to drill through. I understand hot glue is a bad idea in the desert... other ideas? I've thought about things like velcro, but it has a sticky backing which I worry will come off. The stars range from being the size of a thumbnail to about 2 inches in diameter, if that helps. They are about as thick as two quarters stacked on top of each other. Advice? Thanks to all in advance!

Elemental666

Postby Elemental666 » Thu May 19, 2005 7:42 pm

Super, krazy, gorrilla glue?

Contact cement?

Dremel with really small bit and super slow speed. I've got these same constellations in my bedroom at my mom's house, I'll go grab a couple and see what I can come up with... What kind of material are you attaching them to?

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby sputnik » Thu May 19, 2005 7:45 pm

Elemental666 wrote:What kind of material are you attaching them to?

I believe a cape. I think drilling holes and sewing them on would be best
It's going to be alright.

Elemental666

Postby Elemental666 » Thu May 19, 2005 7:49 pm

unfortunately, cape is not a material...

cotton, crushed velvet, aluminet, yah know, what's the cape made out of, it makes a difference when glueing.

Vego

Postby Vego » Thu May 19, 2005 8:03 pm

That Gorilla Glue is something else, it'll glue damn near anything. There is also an adhesive called UV6800, it's stabilized against UV rays so it stands up against the sun. We use it to glue dimensional letters to the sides of buildings for signs. I've never used it with fabric though.
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

Elemental666

Postby Elemental666 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:25 pm

yeah man, if all else failed, gorilla glue will do :lol:

Lowe's had a pallet display of small bottles for cheap last time I was in there so I stocked up. Its good stuff.

robotland

Postby robotland » Fri May 20, 2005 10:44 am

GOOP, man! Gotta getta gobba GOOP! GOOP loves gluing things to fabric.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

scarlet_minnow

great minds think alike

Postby scarlet_minnow » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:04 am

How funny! I made a coat with those very same glow-in-the-dark stars for last year's Burn. Of course, I was glueing them onto a black PVC jacket, so super glue worked tres excellent for me. If you are trying to affix to material, perhaps that clear fishing wire-type thread and sew an X around the points of the star?
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:05 pm

3-D fabric paint. Comes in a bottle with a pointy applicator top. Hundreds of colors, including a variety of glow in the dark choices. I'm using several types right now to affix glass flats to a plastic head. It takes a bit of time to dry, but is perfect for costumes. Brand names include Tulip, JonesTones, Scribbles. Lok at your local craft store.

While GOOP and Gorilla Glue are admirable adhesives, they simply aren't as pretty as 3-D fabric paints on wearables. IMHO and YMMV, of course.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

robotland

Postby robotland » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:09 am

I just discovered that hot glue sticks come in different colors.....(old news to many, I'm sure!) My brother-in-law just gave me a great playa art weapon- A cordless, butane-powered gluegun. Yeah.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:13 am

I hot glued decorations onto a wooden chest my second year. They fell off in the sun sitting in front of the house waiting to be packed on the trailer. At least it happened pre-playa. That's the trouble with hot glue, it keeps reheating and melting. Now, if that's what you want ... well, heheheh.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:22 pm

okay--mix glitter into GOOP before curing????
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Postby robotland » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:27 am

theCryptofishist wrote:okay--mix glitter into GOOP before curing????

Dammit, another thing I have to try.

I made a few art projects with a mix of GOOP and chopped up toys- Army men, cowboys and indians, dinosaurs and such...Just glop the mix onto a surface and it creates a really weird pool-with-shapes-sticking-out surface that REALLY looks cool when you paint it with spraypaint from the sides as though you were lighting it with colored spots....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:17 am

<drool>
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

redqueen23

really cool time wasting answer...

Postby redqueen23 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 pm

I was gonna be a dick and say,
"Nail Gun "but then that was just stoopid...
If you take a drummel tool and drill a tiny teeny hole in the center and then run thin gold wire or "" thru it and tied it off undersideit would hold..it would be like really beautiful and suuuuper anal retentive depending on how big your constelation is....Get wired super star!

alexamonkey

glow in the dark stars

Postby alexamonkey » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:44 am

we drill holes in them. If you don't have a drill, hammer nails through them to make the hole.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”