LA-I have trailer space/ I would like to arrive a bit early

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Syren

LA-I have trailer space/ I would like to arrive a bit early

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:17 pm

I've always joined large theme camps and just didn't feel like it this year. Then I realized, "CRAP! That means I can't get in early!" I just realized this today.

So, I'm going to try to find some way to make myself usefull enough to merrit an early entry.

I would like to arrive with 2 friends on Thursday the 25th, somewhat flexible. The primary thing I could offer is space on a trailer. I have one that will be going up, but I don't need much room on it at all, maybe 10 or 15%?

I'm in Los Angeles. I'll be stopping in SF and Reno on the way to BRC. My trailer is 5x9. It a really good trailer. I swear your stuff will make there and back. It isn't some playafied truck bed or something like that.

I could;

a. Let you borrow the trailer anytime prior the burn providing it will arrive on or before the 25th.
b. Let you put your crap on the trailor and have it towed up for you.
c. I could stop along the way and have your playa crap picked up and taken to the burn.

Me and my friends don't need to join another camp, but we're open to it if there is something else we could offer and the it seems like we would be a good fit to your group. But we really can't handle any physical labor in the sun because we're small, pale girls. We can bartend, contribute financially, decorate and fetch ice. And that's really about it. Besides that we're useless. We are also not capable of being on ANY sort of schedule after we arrive in Black Rock.

We're all experienced burners and don't need any babysitting, won't add drama and manage to stay cheerful, pretty, & self reliant in temperatures over 100 degrees.

I know the "in early" list is getting tighter each year. But if you've got some clearance, I'll do what I can to contribute to your big burn plans.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:02 pm

So, I'm going to try to find some way to make myself usefull enough to merrit an early entry.
Syren,

Unless you've made prior arrangements to get your name on The List that allows you to get in early for purposes of helping to set up a theme camp you are actually a part of you probably need to reconsider your plans. You won't be getting in.

Running a scam - and it is a scam - of joining up with a camp for the sole purpose of getting in early is bullshit. Further, it an attitude that reeks of a misplaced sense of entitlement. Regardless of your status as a 'experienced burner' - such an attitude is pretty damn misplaced and off the mark. Your stated plan is paramount to you (and your two friends) jumping to the front of the line at a movie premier.

I'd love to be there when the gate staff suggest you take a hike and come in at the same time every one else is expected to arrive. Oh and please consider that the arrogant sense of entitlement that you exhibit in your posts goes a long ways towards souring it for a good number of folks out there who play by the rules and choose not to scam either the event or their fellow participants.

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:05 pm

OH!! NO FUCKIN' WAY! Some arrogant guy that spends a bunch of time on the eplaya decided to be critical of what I'm doing! I'm shocked!

No, just kidding. I'm sorry Isotopia. Thank you for showing me the folly of my ways. I'll reconsider right now.

Oh wait, I was being sarcastic again.

So... Seriously. Let's take a brief look at the definition of "scam" and a little look back at my post, shall we?

From M-W,

Main Entry: scam
Pronunciation: 'scam
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation <an insurance scam>

Regarding saying I'm running a "scam", now THAT is bullshit. I've been completely honest. No deception here, boy. And it is an honest arrangement I'm looking for. I'm offering my resources, I want to get in early if I can offer enough.

And now, a little highlight from my post;

"So, I'm going to try to find some way to make myself useful enough to merit an early entry. "

Note the word "useful" and "merit". First of all, I know what is expected and what is appropriate regarding the early list. I've worked my ass off for 8 of the 10 years I've been going to the burn to contribute to the experience for my fellow burners. I've spent unbelievable amounts of my resources and have always gotten in early because I needed to work on projects before the gates opened. I suggested in my post that I might be able to find a way to contribute enough so that my early entry is beneficial to others. I'm willing to work hard to do it.

Second of all, people NEED all kinds of help for their burn plans. I've mentioned a few of the ways I thought my friends and I could be helpful. BRC takes place because people work together to get things done. It happens all the time that someone has some big idea that they spend so much time and money preparing for and then run out of funds for a trailer or their friends bail and then they don't have a truck. Whatever, people need help at the last minute as much as any other time along the way, probably more so.

Save your self righteous posts for some young burnlings that don't know any better. I don't need it and won't take it. Get it?

Oh, and get your own cocktail.

For anyone else that might have read this and needs help, I'm actually really easy to get along with regardless of the bitchy tones that may have been set here. Again, I'm ready, willing and able to help you help yourself.

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 pm

Oh wait, I guess I didn't pay really close attention to your post cuz I didn't care that much and already knew exactly what it would say. I just realized you're female.

It should have read "arrogant women". Sorry.

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:48 pm

Syren wrote:Oh wait, I guess I didn't pay really close attention to your post cuz I didn't care that much and already knew exactly what it would say. I just realized you're female.

It should have read "arrogant women". Sorry.
I don't think it knows what it is.

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:55 pm

I thought the "mommy" bit in the signature suggested a female. I was just trying to be polite.

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:37 pm

And another thing, Isaptopia, who do you think you are to determine what the right reasons are for joining a camp? Since when did joining a camp for personal benefit become unacceptable? Since you decided you're the one who knows what really happens all the time at the gates? Since you decided you're so smart, informed, and morally upright that you need to set others straight? Since you decided you'd like to watch me turned away at the gate? Talk about a lofty attitude that reeks, I could take some lessons from you.

There are as many reasons for people to join camps as there are people joining. It's a collaborative event. Who cares why? As long as someone contributes enough. People join camps to make social acquaintances, to feel like they belong, to have a good camping position, so they can have a ride, so they can feel like good peeps working for the "cause", or whatever.

I've made some very good friends that only joined our theme camp a previous year cuz they needed shade. That's all, just shade last minute. We loved every minute of having them and our group wouldn't have been nearly as fun without them. I'm glad they didn't run across someone like you during their search for shade.

But on second thought, even after all of this, I actually would go get a cocktail for you. When it comes down to it, I don't take this exchange very seriously and I'm way more interested in everyone having a great time on the playa regardless if I get in early or I don't, even you Isotopia. But one things for sure, I would never get turned away, because I'm not stupid enough to drive all the way without being certain. So sorry to dissapoint. But if you want to hang around me for a while once I get there, I'm sure I'll do something you could make fun of & ridicule sooner or later without seeming like an attack-happy ass.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:13 pm

Who cares why? As long as someone contributes enough.
Contributes? Fair enough I guess. Though in your own words you suggest that you're predisposed to the very opposite...
But we really can't handle any physical labor in the sun because we're small, pale girls. We can bartend, contribute financially, decorate and fetch ice. And that's really about it. Besides that we're useless.
No argument from me on that last account. ANYONE heading up to BRC pre-event should expect to work and work hard. If you ain't up to the task then your presence is *parasitic to the event.

* see 'leech'
see 'lamprey'
see 'tick'
Desert dogs drink deep.

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:15 pm

That wasn't meant to be take so seriously, Badger. I was just making fun of the fact that I'm not so physically strong.

Get over yourself.

SexySailor

Post by SexySailor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Syren, you're so cool. You should be let in early just because of how totally awesome you are! In fact, I'm going to see if I can pull some strings so you and your friends can get in early. I like how well thought out your posts are. You're so intelligent!

I'll bet you're really hot too.

PM me and we'll try to work something out.

OneFish

Post by OneFish » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:46 pm

I love Syren!

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:48 pm

Thank you so much sexy sailor! I feel so much better now I have some support from someone as obvioulsy handsome and intelligent as you. I'm so happy you'll be able to help me!

Do I have to work hard?

SexySailor

Post by SexySailor » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:50 pm

No way. Someone as cool as you should just be allowed to enjoy themselves the whole time! I'm just happy to help!

OneFish

Post by OneFish » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Hooray for Syren!

Syren

Post by Syren » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:57 pm

Oh, sorry. Actually SexySailor was just me trying to make it seem like I had a homie.

Someone just let me know that having more then one profile for the same board is for complete fucking idiots that actually get their validation from the appearance of having friends that think like them.

Wow. That's pathetic now that I've reflected on it.

I don't know how some of you do this every single day.

So long suckers!! I need to get out this pit of negativity. And it's margarita time!

If anyone wades through this and still needs trailer space, let me know. I'd actually let you borrow it without getting in early cuz that's just the kind of girl I am.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Nah, they wouldn't resort to such tactics. Or would they?

Edit: Another interesting observation. There's a One Fish and now a Two Fish account?? Strange.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 pm

*is tempted to start a 'red fish' and 'blue fish' sock*

*successfully resists that temptation, especially as it wasn't very powerful anyway*

sgrunspa

reply to actual post

Post by sgrunspa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:03 pm

hey syren,

i am think we can help each other out. I may need some portage to BRC. And I might be able to trade in kind.

email me at omegaci@gmail.com

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:20 am

The Black Rock Beacon could really use that trailer. Can you contact me at gothalot@blackrockbeacon.org ? Thanks so much!

Gothalot

The Black Rock Beacon, the Playa's only live daily newspaper.

http://www.blackrockbeacon.org
Media Mecca Volunteer / Spikes Vampire Bar Mgr

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:35 pm

[quote="Isotopia"] misplaced sense of entitlement.[/quote]

Sock or not, he's right on.

TwoFish

Post by TwoFish » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:07 pm

Hooray for Syren's misplaced sense of entitlement! She and her friends are on the early list for towing stuff up! Just like she wanted!

Return to “2011 Share Resources”