Ever "interview" your potential rideshares?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
HughMungus

Ever "interview" your potential rideshares?

Post by HughMungus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:32 pm

I'm starting to wonder how dedicated my friends are to going to Burning Man with me. I'm thinking about maybe taking some strangers found here on the share board. But I've ridden with strangers before and I know there can be some personality conflicts. So I wonder if it's weird to require that you meet someone in person before committing to taking them along with you.

And if they're going to be camping with me, I wonder if it would be weird to require that they go on one of the camp test runs with me. I feel like that, in particular, is a good test of dedication to whatever the camp will be. I don't want to get out there and have them disappear on me. Maybe if I do offer a campshare setup, I should put in the post that they're expected to help with the camp. Thoughts?

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:10 pm

NO, it's not weird at all!

Here's a few horror stories for you:

Story #1
One year a friend decided to ease his costs to the playa by offering to drive someone in exchange for them paying for 1/2 the gas. They connect on Craigslist and he heads over to pick her up. Hmm... He thinks to himself, this address looks familiar, why is that???

He gets there and realizes why the address looked familiar, it's right next door to ex-fiance's apt. He knocks on the door and meets the girl. He asks her if she knows his ex-fiance, Yes, she does they're best friends!

Great!

So off they go, she pays for none of the gas and ends up having sex in his car with a slew of people over the course of the week (even though she has her own tent). After asking her repeatedly to not go in his van, he finally has to resort to locking it to keep her out.

Story #2
A friend of mine connects with a guy on eplaya and they rent a mini-van together. On the way there the guy pulls over and drops 3 hits of acid with out telling my friend. After an hour she asks "What's up with you??" Dude says "I wanted to arrive altered". Fuck you, pull over NOW! After much debate the guy pulls over and she drives the rest of the way.

The first thing the guy does when he gets there is to make a sign that says "I NEED HEROIN". He then rides around on his bike returning to camp to say shit like "I don't get it man" umm.. What don't you get??? "I just don't get it?" MMmmmm Kayyyyy....

Dude ends up bailing right after the burn without telling my friend. He leaves her with her stuff and bike but no food or water.

He then has the balls to call her asking her to return some things he stored at her house before they left and then threatened to sue her when she didn't want to return them (Did I mention that he's a lawyer?)

Story #3
Guy arrrives with his "potential boyfriend-rideshare" unfortunately the "PBR" is not interested in anything but a ride. Guy goes a little beserk after a 5 day non-stop alcohol binge when "PBR" takes off for the Burn alone. Guy then decides to pile all of his belongings in the middle of the street and LIGHT THEM ON FIRE!

Good times, good times!

1. Meeting in person- Good Idea!
2. Checking references- Good Idea!
3. Trial Run Camp-out/Socializing- Good Idea!
4. Rideshare MINUS camping together- Good Idea!
5. Clearly stated (written?) expectations- Good Idea!
6. Getting $$ up front- Good Idea!

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Those are some scary stories, Chai! I guess I should be thankful that I know my campmates pretty well.

Dallas, are you planning to join a camp, or do you have your own camp that you would be inviting others to join?

the_iconoclast

Post by the_iconoclast » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 pm

Here is what I did.

#1 - Decided I was going to Burning Man - period.
#2 - Found a Camp to get involved with.
#3 - Volunteered for DPW
#4 - Made offer to help someone get to the Playa early.

How it turned out.

I will be Camping - primarily - at Kamp Apokiliptika and will have a satellite camp with the DPW Rodeo. I will be giving a ride to a Lamplighter to her camp. Since April, I have spent numerous weekends with the DPW peeps... I have conversed with and camped with a few people from Apokiliptika. I have references in DPW for the Lamplighter to check. So, in other words, do as much as you can to assure that you and those around you can maximize enjoyment.

If I had not done #2-#4, #1 would have still come into play and I just would have gone and improvised.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:25 pm

MissNev wrote:Those are some scary stories, Chai! I guess I should be thankful that I know my campmates pretty well.

Dallas, are you planning to join a camp, or do you have your own camp that you would be inviting others to join?
I was planning on doing my own camp to accommodate the people who want to come make necklaces.

However, I have heard of people merging their camps together so maybe I'll end-up merging my camp with someone else's (e.g., a friend's camp or a camp where what we're doing is complementary).

MrMullen

Kidding?

Post by MrMullen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:29 pm

Are you kidding?

Someone asked me for a ride to Burningman last year and I put out several requirements.
1) Split cost of gas, with them paying for the first tank. If that tank does not get filled before leaving town, they ain't going and you give them the boot.
2) They had to take a shower before leaving and get a shower before returning.
3) I made it very clear when I was leaving and if they were not packed, I was leaving them.
4) They were to be completely ready when I got to their house to pick them up or I would leave them. No side trips at all.
5) I had to see their ticket and all of their food and water before a single thing got in my car.
6) They were not camping near me.

Make clear rules and if they break them, boot them. Also, meet the people before hand and get references. Don't take strangers.

What I tell people at the very least is make it clear that their stuff must get out of your car at Burningman. Period. You are not a storage locker.
--
Mr Mullen

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:13 pm

MrMullen,

You're tough like the Donald. But very wise. I always have had extra room for people. I just let them know when I am leaving and from where. I have been fortunate and have never had a bad experience.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

desertswine

interview rides

Post by desertswine » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 am

You betcha,remember this much..."In the Man I trust,all others I run through NCIC".Lothos

HughMungus

Re: Kidding?

Post by HughMungus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:49 am

MrMullen wrote:Someone asked me for a ride to Burningman last year and I put out several requirements.
Funny. One year I gave a girl a ride back from Burning Man to Albequerque and as soon as she got in the car she asked if she could light some incense and I said, "No". She said, "Why" and I said, "Because if we get pulled over, I don't want to have to sit around for hours while the police search our stuff."

Yeah, I'm finding that as the organizer and leader of this trip, I'm having to lay down the law. One is a committment deadline. The other is the money thing. Fortunately, I'm taking fellow adults (30+) so that lessens any potential drama.

One thing that will make all this easier, though, is that I think I'm going to forego the RV and get a travel trailer. I decided that instead of trying to accommodate a bunch of other people that I'm going to do Burning Man "my way" and let whoever else wants to go "my way" go with me. That means that now I can go with my one other committed person and not worry about trying to fill-up an RV or having to train drivers to drive it (other than a cursory towing tutorial). It also means that some of our people can fly in and I can go pick them up at the airport. Another thing that's happened is that I talked to a friend who thought she wasn't going and now she wants to go so I could conceivably camp near them.

Things are coming together -- a bit later than I would have liked, but, still -- coming together.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 pm

DallasPlaya wrote: ...I decided that instead of trying to accommodate a bunch of other people that I'm going to do Burning Man "my way" and let whoever else wants to go "my way" go with me...
Right on DP! I love that statement, it is genius. I too am short a couple folks and have listed a rideshare (so far only bites from two up in the Bay area and I'm going driving up the inland desert route from Ventura, CA) but those stories above have me worried a bit!! I am going, my bus is going (with just me in it if it comes to that...geez talk about overkill...but it has all my fixit stuff inside) but my monster trike stays home if I don't get some fellow campers to help load/unload and assemble it. Fine. I have a bike and a kick scooter too. BUT, damnit, there are several friends of mine who could really get into BurningMan who love to dream about going "someday" but just put off actually living the dream and like the old saying of leading a horse to water but not making him drink...I can only do so much and then its up to them.

And oh yeah: anybody signing up to help crew The Palomino is going to be well interviewed and tested on some pre-event outings and group preparation days. Participants only!
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

britt_amber

Re: Ever "interview" your potential rideshares?

Post by britt_amber » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Hey I'm looking for a ride to burning man and wondered if you were interested in taking me! I am a lot of fun and know hot to work hard and not bitch about it. However, I don't know if I would be able to meet you first because I live in Georgia. I can meet you anywhere though if you are interested. If you have questions for me please ask. I would love to meet some new fun ppl, so let me know!
Brittany Livingston

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Great thread..

I should have listened to this sage advice last year.

Oubliet
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

on interviewing

Post by Oubliet » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:57 pm

It might be easier to just spend time at local burner socials throughout the year and just keep an ear out for folks that might need a ride. That way, you can meet the people and get to know them a bit before you ask them to ride with you.

I don't know about taking people "out of the blue" that have no reliable references in common with your local circle.

The idea of having "trial campouts" with them would really be ideal. Better to find out early whether you'd enjoy or intensely dislike camping with someone before taking them to BRC with you.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:49 am

I got lucky, Somone saw one of my postings about needing a rider. Unfortuanatly she lived in Tuscon...im in Phoenix...so we couldnt really get together to meet. She gave me her number and we talked a couple of times before the trip, she seemed really friendly so i decided that i didnt feel i had to meet her first. She got a ride to my place and we left, she even ended up camping with us and was super great!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:23 am

I've had mixed results. This year I gave rides to three people whom I had never met: Usman, Kat, and Shewhoshallremainnameless. The first two were great, were on time, helped out, and were a pleasure all around. Shewhoshallremainnameless was a complete waste of humanity. When informed that the gas bill would be $70 per person, she thought that $15 was "fair". She never helped unload any of her own belongings, but instead went inside my house and started playing the piano. She was a second-time burner, so we figured she had her shit together. She did not. Tent collapsed the first day, she would stay in the camp shower for half an hour braiding her hair (and get this: she would shower with her clothes on!) while at one time four of us were lined up to shower, she would help herself to our RV without asking if it was OK for her to come in (suffice it to say, it wasn't), and was just a pain in the ass. The only reason she was "invited" to go up with us is that we had a last-minute cancellation and so a space opened up. I thought to myself, "What's the worst the could happen? What could possibly go wrong?" Sadly, now I know.

somekind

Post by somekind » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:02 am

There are some pretty flaky people out there. A lot can be weeded out just thru a phone call.

I've gone rideshare or with friends each year now. It's always been cool because I'm a good passenger.

Don't let the horror stories fool you. Sharing a ride with a stranger is a good way to meet someone. They might be your friend.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 pm

I will NEVER EVER EVER ride share again with ANY MAN EVER!!!!!

Both times I have done it - HAve BEen MAJOR MAJor Drama...

The expectations have been OUT OF LINE-

and even when I explained very clearly that

I'M NOT THE FRICKING BABYSITTER...

sooooooooo my advice is if your gonna ride share do it with someone you KNOW of the same sex -
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 am

Your data set represents two singular experiences.

Maybe your experience has something to do with not liking math - or something.

Maybe next time change your name to Xena with the Glock.

Just a thought.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:33 am

I love math!!! It's spelling that gives me trouble....

I'll do anything once, and then try it again... BUT if it didn't work for me twice- THERE IS NO WAY IN F**king WAY IN HELL I'll do it a THIRD (I'm not a real Blonde LOL)

But maybe your right maybe I should maybe change my name to XENA or somethin'

:wink:

Oubliet

Post by Oubliet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:19 pm

What, exactly, did they do to annoy you so much?

Would it have solved anything to make it clear that it was only a ride and that you weren't going to be camping together?

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Why don't you email or send a PM to akmojo and ask him. You may get a completely different side of the story.

However, I wasn't there at the end, so leave me out of it.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:41 am

Did I get you into IT Dr Pyro???
In fact I think I Did VERY VERY well at keepin' the whole Camp Out of IT...
sooooooo Whatever...
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Oubliet,
Yeessssssssss IT would have solved ALL the Problems if IT were only a ride and we didn't camp together...

and Badger is right about changing my name...

Maybe peoples perception of me would be closer to the TRUE BITCH that I'AM Instead OF the SLUT they HOPE me to BE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

soooooooo Double Whatever....

Oubliet

Post by Oubliet » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:41 pm

"Xena with a Glock" has a nice ring to it.

Choosing a more appropo nickname would possibly help.

Hey, have youn ever heard of "Heartless Bitches International"? it's been around for a while.

They have a bitchin' site:

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/

forestm333

Post by forestm333 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 am

MrMullen wrote:Are you kidding?

Someone asked me for a ride to Burningman last year and I put out several requirements.
1) Split cost of gas, with them paying for the first tank. If that tank does not get filled before leaving town, they ain't going and you give them the boot.
2) They had to take a shower before leaving and get a shower before returning.
3) I made it very clear when I was leaving and if they were not packed, I was leaving them.
4) They were to be completely ready when I got to their house to pick them up or I would leave them. No side trips at all.
5) I had to see their ticket and all of their food and water before a single thing got in my car.
6) They were not camping near me.

Make clear rules and if they break them, boot them. Also, meet the people before hand and get references. Don't take strangers.

What I tell people at the very least is make it clear that their stuff must get out of your car at Burningman. Period. You are not a storage locker.
Sounds about right to me. Remembering to go with your gut instincts too. You get a bad vibe off of some one don't question it, just say no! Sorry dude, not going to work for me. Period! I've learned my lesson the hard way. However I didn't let that one thing spoil the experience. Last year was awesome! I can't wait to get back there!
Peace
Forest

keep cool [are you fucking kidding me with the commercial link?]shade structures[/url]

Ugly Dougly

Re: Ever "interview" your potential rideshares?

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm

HughMungus wrote: So I wonder if it's weird to require that you meet someone in person before committing to taking them along with you.
Check to see if they will even show up for the "interview".

If they flake, well that means you just saved yourself some trouble.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:11 am

More good advice.

Mulligan

Post by Mulligan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Ride in is kool. If your rider is not camping with you, make sure both you and the rider know expectations. If you do not meet up at 0:00 pm at the corner of n and x on (day), they WILL get left behind and have to find their own way back. No refunds if that happens...

addison4

Post by addison4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Have faith in your fellow burners. You could save money and meet cool people. However, self-sufficiency is key at BM: so have a back-up plan.

Also, if you roll with someone who is setting up a registered or size-able camp/art project, you know they've got to be there. Find people who understand obligation and responsibility and level with them with that same respect and attention to detail.

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 pm

And when you get them, get the money in advance. One year I had a last minute pick up who lived about 20 miles from me. Second time burner. I felt fine. When we came to settle up, she handed me $15. Keep in mind we were in a 34 foot RV, camp dues were $50, and we supplied many of her "necessities" for the week. She said that's all she had, and thought it would be plenty. WTF? She hasn't shown her sorry ass since.

On the other hand, we had a cool dude from Switzerland who, though woefully under-prepared (hardly any water, food, etc.) never complained, managed to live off the land (though, understandably, was happy to take a handout at meal time, though he never asked much less beg), and when the week was over split into the dust with some lovely lass and they went up to some place in Oregon to screw and, I suppose, get something to eat. But he paid up front, was a real trooper, and has always been invited back.

The point is, trust is one thing, "show me the money" is quite another.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm

So BM 2008 my mates and I were headed to the burn when Krista called. She was an acquaintance that seemed like she knew BM. So I stop and pick her up and her supplies consist of a small backpack like my kids take to school. I knew then it was going to be screwed up. From day one she whined about the weather, the heat, the dust, the food (which she did not bring any of) she paid no dues to the camp (i covered her to save face with my campmates) and she boned total strangers for trinkets and swag.

She comes to us on Friday crying about the "bus is full back to Reno, im going to lose my job"

My response "I told you 10 days ago, when we got here you NEED to make arrangements for your ride out then, it fills quickly."

"Boohoo, take me to Reno, I thought you were my friend" She says.

"I TOLD YOU I WAS NOT LEAVING UNTIL TUESDAY - I WORK THE EVENT AND HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING SO. YOUR ON YOUR OWN"

She was a total mooch, food, water, showers, clothing, tents, Like a lost animal just came around to eat, or get something she needed.

I saw her a few months after that and she was oblivious to her wrongs. I asked her if she made friends, and she responded she had "Good - Stay with them this year" was my last words to her.

Interview? hell, id roll McMullen's way if I had to take someone I do not know. I would enforce it with an iron fist as well.

Return to “2011 Share Resources”