Ever "interview" your potential rideshares?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
JStep
Burning Since: 2011

Post by JStep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm a first timer. We have a loosely organized camp, including two second year burners and associations with 3 or 4 others who have been going since 06. We have dry runs scheduled, a bus purchase planned, and have been very careful to make sure that our camp group (who meet regularly and organize via a Facebook group) only includes people who are camping with us, plan on sharing in the burden of fuel if they are on our ride and plan on being well prepared. We are pooling some resources to avoid redundancy, but also have it clearly established that no one is going to be camp mommy, cook and clean for everyone, etc.

I can't imagine picking up someone I haven't had the time to gauge as far as their understanding and preparedness level for BM and then being forced to camp with them when they turned out to be anything less than 100% keyed up for the event.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 pm

^ stealth virgin...

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:23 pm

why interview? are you that untrusting? it makes sense, but youre taking a leap of faith, everytime you attend. Interviews are how the default world works! And, I dont bring my guns anymore.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 am

Was supposed to bring a friend this year,
Found out that he wasn't necessarily planning on coming with us. (which is fine, do what you want)
But was just keeping us in mind as a fall back plan in case someone better offered him a ride?

That really made me rage. I'm not sure if I'm being irrational or not, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Raged even more so because to my face it's "Yes I'm going with you." and to other friends it is "I don't know how I'm getting there!"

Well just let me go to the trouble of making the arrangements to accommodate an extra person and their necessities on the 4000 mile trip then flake out on me last minute because someone you like better is offering up a spot. Awesome.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 am

The space to accommodate an entire extra person and their items is not inconsiderable. I'd be angry too, Turnip.

And it's not as if rides to the Burn are falling from the trees. There's a strong chance this will come back to bite him in the ass when he unwittingly decides to deal with people he feels more comfortable with . . . i.e., fellow flakes.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 am

Funny how that happens. Every year Ive offered a ride, someone has always flaked. But, people needing rides do fall from trees. I agree Savannah, when someone is gratious to offer you a ride, and you ditch at the last minute...karma (as much as I hate to use that word), will bite you in the ass. Or..at least I hope.

Last year, I was supposed to give a ride to a burner, from SF. The day we were supposed to leave, she told me she got a ride with friends. About 30 minutes later, I responded to an ad from a New Yorker, about to get on the plane to SFO. A few hours later, we were on our way to BRC.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:12 am

Savannah wrote:The space to accommodate an entire extra person and their items is not inconsiderable. I'd be angry too, Turnip.

And it's not as if rides to the Burn are falling from the trees. There's a strong chance this will come back to bite him in the ass when he unwittingly decides to deal with people he feels more comfortable with . . . i.e., fellow flakes.
I suppose this will work out better for me in the end.

More vehicle space will save me from having to rent/buy a trailer. And that in turn will save me money in fuel and the stress of towing a trailer. Which, for me is pretty substantial since I'm a nervous wreck when traveling!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 am

Funny how that happens. Every year Ive offered a ride, someone has always flaked. But, people needing rides do fall from trees. I agree Savannah, when someone is gratious to offer you a ride, and you ditch at the last minute...karma (as much as I hate to use that word), will bite you in the ass. Or..at least I hope.
I don't believe in karma either, but it's excellent short-hand for several things more complex. :)

. . . Turnip, you'll no longer have to get a trailer? That's fantastic. It would stress me out no end.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 am

Nope, no trailer!

Went in 2009 with 3 people and a GMC Jimmy towing a trailer and it was a constant source of terror for me on the ride there and back.
We didn't take advantage of the roof rack, and this year we have a hitch hauler. We also brought wayyyy too much water which we won't do this time around.

I think something that will help my travel anxiety is to load the vehicle up, and take it to the police station and have them point out any problems they might see.

falk

Post by falk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 pm

TomServo wrote:why interview? are you that untrusting? it makes sense, but youre taking a leap of faith, everytime you attend. Interviews are how the default world works! And, I dont bring my guns anymore.
Do you bring strangers?

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

falk wrote:
TomServo wrote:why interview? are you that untrusting? it makes sense, but youre taking a leap of faith, everytime you attend. Interviews are how the default world works! And, I dont bring my guns anymore.
Do you bring strangers?
Yes I do. In 2002, I formed complete strangers camp. myself and 3 other people Id never met and barely communicated with. We had an awesome year!

jessdev

Post by jessdev » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Hey, I'm just wondering, do most people offering rides expect those who respond to camp with them or not?
This will be my first time and I'm going alone as I don't know anyone else serious about going as well. I guess I'm debating whether to find people to go up and camp with as well, or to just find a ride and join a theme camp prior to.
But regarding the interview thing, I would even prefer to meet up with the people I'm getting a ride/camping with beforehand, just to make sure we're kind of similar and our personalities aren't going to clash all week. I love meeting strangers but yes sometimes you do get bad luck.

dr.placebo
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 am

Most years I've made plans to either go with people I know or offered a free ride to someone. For the strangers I've only done phone interviews. So far it has worked out quite well; two of those strangers have become good friends. Maybe just good luck, but I've enjoyed the company and never had much drama with giving the rides. 8 hours each way gives a lot of room for good conversation (and tunes and scenery).

Return to “2011 Share Resources”