Participation Procrastination Camp? Last minute ideas

Stilesfamily

Participation Procrastination Camp? Last minute ideas

Post by Stilesfamily » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:05 am

Participation Procrastination Camp?

Last minute Theme camp and gifting ideas

How about “Random Acts of Hot Dog Vending” (gifting) - Show up at different places in BRC with a gill, dogs, buns and condiments and grill up some doggies for your fellow burners. I know last year while wandering the playa in the dark of night it would have been awesome to come across a hot dog vendor in the middle of the darkness and get a nice hot dog with mustard and relish, would have really hit the spot. I think this idea has legs and I'm going to move on it.

Anyone else have an idea?
E Tu Brute?

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:52 pm

Panhanding for Participation

Sit at the nearest corner with a piece of white board and a marker.

You sit there holding a sign as if panhandling. People may change/erase/modify what is on the sign. You hold it no matter what it says.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

headquarters

Re: Participation Procrastination Camp? Last minute ideas

Post by headquarters » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Stilesfamily wrote:Participation Procrastination Camp?

Last minute Theme camp and gifting ideas

How about “Random Acts of Hot Dog Vending” (gifting) - Show up at different places in BRC with a gill, dogs, buns and condiments and grill up some doggies for your fellow burners. I know last year while wandering the playa in the dark of night it would have been awesome to come across a hot dog vendor in the middle of the darkness and get a nice hot dog with mustard and relish, would have really hit the spot. I think this idea has legs and I'm going to move on it.

Anyone else have an idea?
that reminds me of one of the best moments in the time i've been in brc was when i stumbled upon a guy who was doing kinda what you said. 'cept he was gifting grill cheese sandwiches. i'm talking CHEAP grill cheese.. old $.89 wheat bread, immitaion kraft singles and no butter or margerine. damn they were good!

edited:

the coolest part is that he was way out on the open playa. it wasn't just at someones camp.

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:14 pm

Pull a greeter shift but have a shopping cart. As people are arriving, ask if they would like a "gift cart".

Set up a valet parking area just inside the gate. When people arrive at "Valet Parking", ask them to remove all their belongings from their car. Ask them what camp they are with. Then drive the car to their camp.

After a suitable delay, have someone come around in an art car and pick them up. They arrive at their camp to find their car waiting for them.

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 pm

Headquarters,

To be honest I saw a similar post elsewhere on the e-playa and that is where I got the idea. Since I lack the creativity to come up with a new and unique idea I adapted it to my favorite food, well second favorite, Pizza was a little to logistically challenging. Geeksters, the dry erase board is a good idea, it’s cheap and interactive, I may take a stab at that one.
E Tu Brute?

griffin

hot food

Post by griffin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:31 am

I have been served hot dogs out on the open playa. Anything out there tastes like the best thing you've ever tasted. It's a great idea, and can be done really cheap, and everybody loves it. The trick is to get way out there, and just surprise people with the smell of cooking food, but to move on before too many people find out. This is one of those ideas, that cannot be over done. The hot dogs on the playa, the better. Or grilled cheese, or soup, or whatever. I think I'll look into that for next year.
----------------------------
yesterday was unique
today was the same
----------------------------
www.cypresslounge.com

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

that's frickin' awesome

Post by cornelius » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 pm

Rhino Patrol did that very type of thing too, but this time with beer. For three years inna row, on Sunday, we would load up an old army truck with cold keg beer and all the left over booze we could get our hands on. Then about one or two when the sun was real hot, we'd drive around and give away cold beer. The tricksters trick was two fold though, you had to bring yer own damn cup and two we never really came to a complete stop, just let the ol' army truck idle and pull along. People would have to run to catch us and jog lightly to keep up. (okay, we'd stop to change the keg or if people would gift us back, but other than that...keep rollin')

P.S. not a good idea if you're a Churchy Charley or a recovering alcoholic.
P.P.S. it's not for everyone.
ROBOTS UNITE

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 pm

Best theme camp ever:

Get A Shock, Get A Cookie. Ingredients: one card table, one electric cattle prod and one huge box of home made chocolate chip cookies.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 pm

I think those maniacs called themselves Random Pizza Delivery, or something like that. Anyhoo, Saturday morning this guy rides up to my camp carrying a pizza box and asks if anyone ordered a pepperoni pizza. We look left and right, and said no. He asks if we're sure and I said yeah. He asks a third time and I give in and say, "Yeah, that's us", which was obviously what he wanted to hear. He opens the box and son-of-a-Larry if it isn't a fresh playa baked pepperoni pizza.

Pizza for breakfast. That, my friends, is the breakfast of champions, and one of the coolest playa gifts ever.

Elemental666

Post by Elemental666 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Stilesfamily wrote: Pizza was a little to logistically challenging.
Hmmm, if you had a cart right, with a chanber below where you could stash a dry ice freezer chest... Then had a solar oven on top, with a slidey rack thing for to get the pie in and out, no umbrelleas, need all the sun you can get for this... once could pack up like a dozen or so frozen pizzas and pull this off...

Hell I'd give you a beer just for trying 8)
R.I.P. Nasu Dyami
============
[url=http://www.elementalchaos.com/]www.elementalchaos.com[/url]

chrispburn

random foods

Post by chrispburn » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:44 am

Sensei wrote:I think those maniacs called themselves Random Pizza Delivery, or something like that..
Pizza Smuts at Bipolar and 7:30

yes that's awesome.

I have also seen Fish Tacos served from a truck parked at the trash fence.

Or the guy with liquid nitrogen (seriously!) who used it to make ice cream -- yes MAKE ice cream.

and that's not to take anything away from the good old fashioned ice cream truck, with the peppy crazy music that drills a hole in you head.

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:06 am

Elemental666 wrote:
Stilesfamily wrote: Pizza was a little to logistically challenging.
Hmmm, if you had a cart right, with a chanber below where you could stash a dry ice freezer chest... Then had a solar oven on top, with a slidey rack thing for to get the pie in and out, no umbrelleas, need all the sun you can get for this... once could pack up like a dozen or so frozen pizzas and pull this off...

Hell I'd give you a beer just for trying 8)
Of course, I think I have all that stuff right here in the closet of my apt. :roll: like I said
E Tu Brute?

Elemental666

Post by Elemental666 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:29 am

I'll keep my nose peeled :lol:
R.I.P. Nasu Dyami
============
[url=http://www.elementalchaos.com/]www.elementalchaos.com[/url]

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:10 am

Can you make coffee? You can't go wrong with coffee (start stealing little packages of creamer and sugar from your favorite local restaurant now). To make it mobile I'm imagining a little red wagon with a thermos full of coffee, some cups, sugar, creamer, spoons, etc. roaming around the playa or just in widening concentric circles around your camp.

Edit: Just make sure you have some kind of towel or something under all that stuff so your mobile coffee service isn't rattling down the street waking people up.

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:23 am

There is no sleeping allowed Aug 29 - Sept 5 - come on.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:56 am

There are quite a few people who don't like coffee (I know that's a shock). Have you considered having some alternatives onboard that cart in case you run into a really attractive someone that you don't want to turn away?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:00 am

Just be careful, we don't want on playa chai wars!

(okay Chai Guy's cool, he could handle it.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:01 am

Kinetic IV wrote:There are quite a few people who don't like coffee (I know that's a shock). Have you considered having some alternatives onboard that cart in case you run into a really attractive someone that you don't want to turn away?
The alternative to coffee is DallasPlaya with a little cream and sugah.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:48 am

Chai Guy encourages healthy competition, in fact one year we had the mobile fish taco bike, the margarita bike, the grilled cheese bike, the bacon bike and the chai bike all converge serendipitously on the playa to form some sort of bizzaro food court.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:44 am

pics?

Nice piece of playa serendipity
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:47 pm

How about a

Justify Your Existance, BUILD SOMETHING (and take it with you)! Table

with various kinds of supplies for people to make stuff with ...

halfshadows

Post by halfshadows » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:20 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Best theme camp ever:

Get A Shock, Get A Cookie. Ingredients: one card table, one electric cattle prod and one huge box of home made chocolate chip cookies.
masochistic sugartooths everywhere just peed their pants.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Cut out plywood crosses of whatever size you like. Staple foamcore to the crosses. Get one of those big fat sharpies and make custom signs for people.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:39 am

Dude! Camp Protest!

"Save the Whales" in front of BRCAC.
"Free Nelson Mandella"
"Down with YOUR CAMP HERE"
"WWJD? Jesus would turn water into wine!"
"Make Love AND War, Join the Pagan Hoarde!"
"It was better last year!"
Will
www.comicsbyemail.com

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:01 am

How About,

Fresh Young Coconut, ice cold, slit open right there on the playa for you with bendy straw.
E Tu Brute?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:49 am

How about "Grocery Cart Camp" set up in a new spot every evening.
The Lady with a Lamprey

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:25 pm

geekster wrote:How about a

Justify Your Existance, BUILD SOMETHING (and take it with you)! Table

with various kinds of supplies for people to make stuff with ...
I always wanted to do a camp where people could make their own little burning people out of popsicle sticks, crayons, markers, etc. Then they could throw them in the big fire or just take them home.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:05 pm

Ah, stencil. "Do You Know Who I Am?" Spray on Tee shirts. Perhaps with the man in a laminate on the back.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Stilesfamily

Post by Stilesfamily » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I like the stencil idea. A piece of cardboard, a pair of scissors, a can of paint and some imagination. Do they make any kind of canned spray paint especially for t shirts? :D
E Tu Brute?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:42 am

One year at the Utah Burn, there was a guy with a heafty stencil and cans of spray paint. We now have a little folding table with the man, and there are shirts out there with the same design. You can use regular spray paint on cloth; spray-on fabric paint is water-based and tends to come in pump bottles.

Return to “2005 Theme Camps”