Steven bradford

Post by Steven bradford » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:04 pm

Amen brother ... and sisters!
Steve

Paint or Be Painted
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:47 pm

Steven bradford wrote:Amen brother ... and sisters!
Man.

It'll be worth it though.

dinosaurwilly

Post by dinosaurwilly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:55 pm

Tell me about it! I have been in theme camps the last 5 years, but I took on orginizing our camp this year and it is some amount of work!

Thank god my real job has been SUPER slow for the last few months. I spend most of my time at work, dealing with camp stuff!

But I hope it will be worth it in the end.

(check out www.dinosaurwilly.com/barf)

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:30 pm

dinosaurwilly wrote:Thank god my real job has been SUPER slow for the last few months. I spend most of my time at work, dealing with camp stuff!
Same here. Or skipping work to go get stuff, haha.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:47 pm

someone on tribe said

if you build it, they will complain
brilliant
call me baby

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:14 pm

stuart wrote:someone on tribe said

if you build it, they will complain
brilliant
Hahaha.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: If you've never managed a public camp, don't bitch

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:49 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:about public camps.

God damn this is some work.
Roger that! How's it going?

Our stuff is complete. On Friday we hosted a StarCastle christening at our humble 800'sq house. Figured a dozen people would come by to sign their names. 35 friggin' people showed up, pretty much at once. You know it's a good party when you walk into your kitchen and there are people you don't know cooking seven lobsters on your stove.

What we learned: The Zaphod StarCastle is structurally sound, the root beer is great (sugar is, in fact, a drug) and the biggest weakness I had forgotten about is human drunken stupidity.

Forgot to consider that at Burning Man, if anybody can possibly do anything you didn't anticipate to/in/on your camp, no matter how blatantly stupid, they will.

Great opportunity to remind some of our virgin burners about doing things like leaving bikes and other stuff around in everybody's way, leaving empty cups on the bar or otherwise setting poor example for the camp visitors.

Now we have to disassemble everything and get it ready to go. Doin' the freakout dance!

-gatt

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:54 pm

*fishy intrudes and scratches her head* Funny, I know a successful party when 7 lobsters I don't know are cooking people on my stove.... BTW, can I start a thread call "If you've never managed a public bitch, don't camp"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dinosaurwilly

Post by dinosaurwilly » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:59 pm

Doh! Drunken Stupidity Sucks! To all you people who come by my public camp. Please remember ....

1) I worked hard and spent a lot of money and time to have a good time with you and all my friends on the playa. I want to serve you and have fun with our theme with you.

2) Please dont complain if I dont have ice, or run out of vodka, or we dont have cups. Please dont even make a "joke" like, "I came all the way from xxx and you dont have vodka, hah just kidding", because it sounds like complaining to me.

3) Please be patient, I will serve your drink when I get to you. I might be talking to a new friend or just relaxing in the sun. So say hi and wait for me to get to you.

4) Please don't leave MOOP in my camp! And if you see MOOP in my camp, pick it up!

5) Please dont dump your trash in my camp or in my camp garbage, its your trash!

6) Please try to have fun with out theme and participate. We worked hard thinking this out and getting costumes and decorations, please appreciate that.

7) You dont have to gift me anything. But I do expect you to be kind and considerate. The best gift you can give me is a good attitude!

8) If you want to gift me something, ice always works. Another good gift is an invitation to your camp function. Also, a great gift is participating in our camp theme!

That's it for now :) I just had to preach about some of the issues we have faced in the past.

"The Captain"
www.dinosaurwilly.com/barf

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 pm

I think I'm figuring something out. This is the week when all the people who haven't gotten off their asses to create anything or participate in a camp start scrambling to find a place close to the action, isn't it?

"Hey man can i join your camp it sounds kewl im looking for a kewl camp i have six people they don't all know each other but there really kewl and well be arriving tuesday, wednesday or thursday We have a bigass shade tent..."

Heh. I'm all for radical inclusion, and in case anybody thinks I'm an asshole, I feel like one for telling them "Sorry, camp's full." But we asked for a given amount of space based on the number of people who expressed interest in our camp, and that's what we got. I don't think it's fair to crowd our people into the back after they've spent hundreds of dollars and most of their summer weekends working on our camp, hammering out every issue, etc...not to mention getting there early to unload the truck and build the camp, so that 25% of our space can be occupied at the last minute by people who apparently lacked the wherewithall to find a camp when the rest of us did.

Virgins have an excuse; they truly don't understand yet. The ones that tell us how kewl their camp was last year kinda piss me off. Am I not getting something?

End rant.

-c

HughMungus

Re: If you've never managed a public camp, don't bitch

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:24 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
DallasPlaya wrote:about public camps.

God damn this is some work.
Roger that! How's it going?
Going well. Decided to fly into LA and rent an RV there. Right now the only major hurdle is getting my camping and necklaces supplies shipped to LA but I think I have that covered. Went on a final bead-buying trip today. Also bought a folding table and some camp chairs today. Got a battery charger and power inverter yesterday (for the drill press, camp lights, etc.) and went to look at deep cycle batteries but I think I'm going to have to order them online to get what I think I need.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'm stoked because my campmates are stoked. Nothing better than having them say, "CAN'T WAIT TO GO" (as opposed to them being tepid about it).

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:30 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:Virgins have an excuse; they truly don't understand yet. The ones that tell us how kewl their camp was last year kinda piss me off. Am I not getting something?

End rant.

-c
Just that some people are morons and some people are takers. I don't associate with either group.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Heh. I'm all for radical inclusion
not me

Virgins have an excuse
not in my book. I had found a camp six months before I went up for my first year, had more durable shade than they did, made all my own food and had water to spare. To be honest though, I did not know to bring false eyelashes but a generous camp mate hooked me up.
call me baby

alienfry

Post by alienfry » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:18 pm

this will be Kathanika's 4th year and we've only had 2 ass-holes visit. since we've hosted probably a hundred or more people at our event we're pretty happy about only enduring 2 bad-vibers.

i think what makes Storytime Shisha so successfull is a couple of important factors.

1. we operate in the afternoon. generally the frat boys and middle-age crisis party people are too hungover to venture out and participate during the heat of the day.

2. we're not a bar. byob.

3. we're not a restaurant. byof.

4. we encourage participation and that includes being a good listener.

just my thoughts is all.
awesome oppossum

leftbraindp

Post by leftbraindp » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:53 pm

not in my book. I had found a camp six months before I went up for my first year, had more durable shade than they did, made all my own food and had water to spare. To be honest though, I did not know to bring false eyelashes but a generous camp mate hooked me up.
Ha ha, that's funny! I did the same thing... Decieded to go with my roommate 2 weeks before the burn, did tons of research online, bought plenty of food, water and my camping supplies... but had no costumes or anything fun to wear... and my sole light at night was a flashing bike light :) But hey, no one ran me over ;)

I guess I share your opinion as well about virgins... I try to cut them a little slack, but honestly, I was able to do enough research (before I knew there were things like this BBS to ask others) to get by. So my slack is reserved for those who have done everything they could, not those who are too lazy... end small rant :)

This year I will be a part of a brand new theme camp, so double a lot of the worries and planning, cause we're starting totally from SCRATCH! (not that others aren't also)...

But it's a lot of fun as well, and I can't wait to get out there (7 days) and see what all our efforts have gone into!

~~~~

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:25 pm

leftbraindp wrote:I guess I share your opinion as well about virgins... I try to cut them a little slack, but honestly, I was able to do enough research (before I knew there were things like this BBS to ask others) to get by. So my slack is reserved for those who have done everything they could, not those who are too lazy... end small rant :)
Yeah, they deserve a little slack. I *love* meeting virgins who are blown away by it all like I was.
This year I will be a part of a brand new theme camp, so double a lot of the worries and planning, cause we're starting totally from SCRATCH! (not that others aren't also)...
Same here. Soooo much work goes into it but it's a labor of love. I'm sure it'll be easier next year (or next time or whenever).

Return to “2005 Theme Camps”