2017 Black Rock City Airport - Volunteer

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Media Mecca & Black Rock City Airport

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Now that the Main Ticket Sale is over, it seemed appropriate to begin this volunteer recruitment thread for 2017.

The Black Rock Municipal Airport is the second official gate into the event and it is Burners just like you that make it all happen.

Again, there will be many fun, interesting, and a somewhat different types volunteer jobs at the airport and you never know who will be coming in via. the airport gate.

90% of the over 1,000 volunteer slots at the Airport require no previous Burner or aircraft experience. For veteran Burners and those who have volunteered at the aiprort before, it might be time for you to step up for a more challenging job. For those who are pilots, we are always in need of Burners with flying, ATC, Unicom or other airport related experiences to man the critical Air Division positions.

If you are interested in volunteering at the Black Rock City Airport, first open or create your Burner Profile: https://profiles.burningman.org

Click on: Participation Forms
Open: Volunteer Questionnaire and select Airport as a place that you would like to volunteer and complete the questionnaire.

Very shortly you will receive an Airport Welcome Letter with more details.

New for 2017. All the Sparkle Ponies will be wearing new livery.
Life is a bitch. And, then you don't die.....
veni, vidi, ego exuro.
Miss Ratty makes me happier than a tornado in a trailer park.
Specializing in: Calibrating Windsocks -- Any size - Any where - Any time...

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Re: 2017 Black Rock City Airport - Volunteer

Postby Chowski » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Kewl! Will I get to drive Paris HIlton, her luggage, and her entourage to White Priviilege Ocean when she lands?! How about all the other defaultia celebrities who are too good to drive and/or bring anything to Burning Man? Will I get to actually see my favorite EDM festival DJ on his way to Robot Heart? Because that would be awesome, and totally what Burning Man needs.

Burning Man Airport: Radical Self-Reliance Good, Radical Commodification Better!

Remember everybody, that totally hot chick in the black feathers couldn't even make it to the event without YOUR volunteerism! Make sure she gets the best Instagram shot ever!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 am

Chowski wrote:Kewl! Will I get to drive Paris HIlton, her luggage, and her entourage to White Priviilege Ocean when she lands?! How about all the other defaultia celebrities who are too good to drive and/or bring anything to Burning Man? Will I get to actually see my favorite EDM festival DJ on his way to Robot Heart? Because that would be awesome, and totally what Burning Man needs.

Burning Man Airport: Radical Self-Reliance Good, Radical Commodification Better!

Remember everybody, that totally hot chick in the black feathers couldn't even make it to the event without YOUR volunteerism! Make sure she gets the best Instagram shot ever!

Yeah, but how do you really feel?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Are there volunteer opportunities available at the Black Rock City Airport? Funny you should ask. There are over 1,000 volunteer shifts and 3,000 - 5,000 Burners now arrive via the airport (this is in addition to Paris, her entourage and the Plug & Play folks who arrive via private jets).

The Airport Shiftboard will be opening in late May to early June. If you would like a little different type of volunteer experience at BM, the airport might be what you are looking for.

We need to see what we can do about getting you plugged into the Airport data base so that you will begin to receive the notices and sign-up for the best shifts as soon as Shiftboard opens.

Please:
1. Log onto your Burner Profile and make sure that your contact information is correct.

2. Click on Participation Form.
https://profiles.burningman.org

3. Click on and complete the Volunteer Questionnaire and make sure that you check Airport as a place that you would like to volunteer. Finish completing the form and close.

In a few hours, you will receive an Airport Welcome Letter with information that will get you started and on your way.
veni, vidi, ego exuro.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Meat Hunter, you may be getting a PM from another AZ burner with some specific questions. I told him to get a hold of you.

Hope things are well on you side of the country! :)
No longer a Birgin. This years prep will be much, much easier and shorter.
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :wink:

OscarElGrunon
Burning Since: 2017

Postby OscarElGrunon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I hope you get enough volunteers. I heard from the GLC that volunteer recruiting wasn't going very well.

Personally, I don't look forward to waiting 12 hours in a line so that I can spend my days inside to help other people who can afford to skip the line. If volunteering at the airport got me a complimentary flight I'd consider it. Otherwise, no thanks. If I volunteer at a food festival I expect a free meal at the end of it. Yes volunteering is supposed to be given freely, but actual volunteer coordinators and recruiters know that you have to support the people who support you.

Good luck finding 1000 people who have such a great spirit of gifting that they give what little time they have (and paid a great deal of money to attend) so that others who are richer can have even more. I don't know anyone like that.

Chowski

Postby Chowski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Or perhaps, since the airport is a direct link to the Commodification of Burning Man, and the Accommodation of radically non-self-reliant observers who fly in for the weekend, BMORG should start charging a little tax on every incoming parasite, and then pay a staff to run the airport. Why should our community be expected to cater to people who are bringing nothing to the event?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Chowski you're a little harsh with your wide brush strokes. You also make some statements that don't apply to everyone flying in. It's cheaper to drive in. I think the ones who fly in have more disposable income to support projects at the event. In fact, some of them are artists and support their own art on playa. Sure there are some p&p douchwads. There are also some participants.

Oscar
Good luck finding 1000 people who have such a great spirit of gifting that they give what little time they have (and paid a great deal of money to attend) so that others who are richer can have even more. I don't know anyone like that.
You should get a better group of friends. Virtually EVERYONE I know from burning man contributes their time towards the burn. Either all year prep for others enjoyment, or volunteering at ttitd. Get on board my friend. You'll have more fun.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I have volunteered at the airport and would in the future.

The airport is a gate, like the main gate, with a ticket office, like the main gate ticket office, without the main gate crush.

A bit more than a hundred small planes fly in, often camp at the airport or outside the gate with their plane. The pilots have mastered flying at altitude in desert conditions with their flying machines. The airport is also a village of camps with activities. It's probably the quietest village in the entire city.

The flyers take sky divers up, they take people on rides. The team that runs the control tower / air traffic control are well respected by the FAA. There is on-the-web and in-person pilot information and training. It is a facility for air ambulance service.

It is one of those departments with a fun loving culture and sense of the absurd with critical execution behind the curtain.

The volunteer jobs are listed and there is an opportunity in each for costumes, theater, playfulness and cacophony. There is also an opportunity to encourage the commercial fliers to be their burner best and hear their stories coming and going.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:54 pm

The 2017 Black Rock City Airport Shiftboard is now open. There are over 600 volunteer shifts this year and between 3,000 - 5,000 Burners will be arriving via the 2nd Gate.

If you are interested in volunteering at the airport this year, we need to see what we can do about getting you plugged into the Airport data base so that you can sign up for your shifts.

If you have volunteered at the Airport in the last three years, you have already received a notice and you are already in the Airport data base.

However, if you have never volunteered at the Airport and would like to; Please:

1. Log onto your Burner Profile and make sure that your contact information is correct.
https://profiles.burningman.org

2. Click on Participation Form.

3. Click on and complete the Volunteer Questionnaire and make sure that you check Airport as a place that you would like to volunteer. Finish completing the form and close.

In a few hours, you will receive an Airport Welcome Letter with information that will get you started and on your way.

Note: All the Sparkle Ponies have new livery this year and it is time to climb on board for a whole new Burner experience.
veni, vidi, ego exuro.

Chowski

Postby Chowski » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 pm

So now TWO of you on this board have sent me finger-wagging, moral nag private messages. Clearly, what YOU think and feel about the Airport is different than what I think and feel about it. Wouldn't it be amazing if we as a community had some kind of board where, instead of criticizing each other in private, we could air our differences. My intention is not snark - my intention to Acculturate virgins.

Hey Virgins - the airport USED to be where small craft pilots flew in. Last year, it became a COMMERCIALIZED second gate so the Parasite Class can have easy access into and out of the event (plus accumulate fees and costs for the BMORG).

There are LOTS of wonderful ways to CONTRIBUTE to Burning Man. But volunteering for the Airport is little more than offering to work for free for the entitled, non-contributing portion of the population of Black Rock City that offers nothing to community. REAL Burners don't fly in - they drive in, with all the things you see once you get there - the art, the camps, the infrastructure. Real Burners, wait in a massive line like everyone else to get in and to get out, with their vehicles loaded down in unsafe ways.

Airport attendees pay someone else to bring all their food and their water and their RVs and their "gifts", while they fly in for the weekend. I say, if they can pay for the luxury of being Radically Dependent on Someone Else, they can afford to pay for EMPLOYEES at their COMMODIFIED airport.

There. I'm glad my intentions are clear now. Those of you who would snit at me in private, please, say what YOU think. And we can Acculturate Virgins as we each see fit.

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm

I will agree with you that the party that starts in the entry line (and in fact, in Empire) is a blast. After shopping and driving for at least two hours from Reno, it's great to get out of the car, stretch and make friends before setting up camp. I don't think I would ever consider entering though the airport gate for so many reasons.
I did go up in the Burning Sky planes several times, and that was a blast seeing BRC from the skies. (I landed with the panes as well) :shock:

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Chowski gets it.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Deciding to volunteer at the BRC Galactic Spaceport involves being you and your choice. If you are vicerablly against air transport, volunteer elsewhere. BM needs many more volunteers.

The airport is about person to person interaction and you can camp there too.

You can say that fancy interaction happens there but I've experienced real Airport people. They are compassionate experience I've experienced. Samples are individuals like Black Rock City Galactic Spaceport flier Berk. Berk was a flier who offered experiences in his small plane to ordinary people beyond event aesthetic hierarchies. We have airport new arriver orienting things, many.

Hate the airport? Visit it in person. Good people there!

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby tahiti_treat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 am

I signed up for two shifts. Looking forward to it!

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:20 pm

If you were looking for a volunteer shift at the Airport this year and saw that most of the shifts were already full a month ago -- Please take a look again.

Two months out from the Burn, almost all entry level volunteer shifts at the Black Rock City Airport were already full.

Because so many potential volunteers contacted us and commented that they would like to volunteer at the Airport this year, but were unable to do so; this weekend we added 75+ more shifts in several different entry level positions.

If you have any problem logging onto Shiftboard or signing up for shifts, please message me and I will lend you a hand.
veni, vidi, ego exuro.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:49 am

I took a yellow bike out to the BRC airport once, hung out in the lounge for a while, smoked some cigars, drank all the good whiskey, then when my wife flew in with the Glitterati (tm), hitched a ride on some villains golf-cart back to shanti-town.

Granted, this was a long time ago and the airport was better last decade. :twisted:

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm not as anti-airport as Chowski, I'm aware of its history and know that there are lots of good people volunteering there. But, let's be honest, the BMORG is using the airport as a shuttle for the wealthy and "influencers." I realize that part of the reason they hype the airport is due to the restrictions around automobile traffic, but that reason has been beat to death as an excuse for a lot of bad decisions, IMO.

lilac_meddow
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: None... #teamradicalselfreliance

Postby lilac_meddow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

No joke... this is one volunteer opportunity that I want to for sure do. As soon as I get a ticket in hand I'll fill out the form. I also work at an airline in the operations room so hopefully my skills can be put to use.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:55 am

The BORG has released the RFP for 2018 air services.

It contains the statistics for the 2016 event: the Burner Express Air program flew 2,333 participants into and 2,437 out of BRC.

More here: https://journal.burningman.org/2017/07/ ... -for-2018/

(Burner Express Air was equivalent to about 1000 vehicle passes in 2016. I don't know if they released the 2016 bus numbers. It was ~7000 in 2015. So the bus is equivalent to about another 2800 vehicle passes.)

For 2018 they are requesting:

1000 passengers per day capacity
passenger “acculturation and education” plans
a commitment not to support plug and play camping or concierge service providers

Bottom line, the volunteer needs will grow, and the sooner you volunteer, the sooner you will become a valued experienced volunteer!

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”