The Man Needs You in 2017! New Volunteer Opportunities with Man Watch Crew

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

The Man Needs You in 2017! New Volunteer Opportunities with Man Watch Crew

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am

Man Watch is a crew of volunteers dedicated to protecting the Man and enhancing the experience of all who come to see Him. Man Watch volunteers are stationed at the Man Pavilion around the clock from before the gates open until early morning Saturday before the burn. They are promoters, guardians, and information givers who enjoy talking to attendees about each year’s Man Pavilion and Burning Man in general. Man Watch volunteers also act as docents, facilitating interactive experiences associated with the Man.

Now in its second year as an independent crew, Man Watch is seeking participants who are looking to help on the playa. We are looking for volunteers who would like to help us build and sustain the new Man Watch crew.

If you would like to find out more or are interested in being a part of this exciting crew please fill out a Volunteer Questionnaire via your Burner Profile and choose Man Watch department, ping me here or privately, or contact EZ Button at Manwatch@burningman.org.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: The Man Needs You in 2017! New Volunteer Opportunities with Man Watch Crew

Postby Token » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Just_Joe wrote:. They are promoters, guardians, and information givers who enjoy talking to attendees about each year’s Man Pavilion and Burning Man in general. Man Watch volunteers also act as docents, facilitating interactive experiences

Joe, you are good people so this isn't personal ...

... but fucking WHY?!

First the temple, now the Man ...

Why the fuck do we need someone to curate the damn experience?

Why not get a bunch of busses to go from center camp and the plazas on official tours with the little headphone players. You know, like the Alkatraz tour.

I'm guessing, much like the temple guardians, this exists to give the volunteers big rubbery boners to their egos.

SMH

Edit to fix bad engrish

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Token wrote:Joe, you are good people so this isn't personal ...

Appreciated.

I know, like many old-timers, you haven't been in several years and stuff like this is one of the reasons.
Many say that since population has exploded that it doesn't "scale". The manner in which the event has grown is a reason that a lot of people now sit it out. The perception is that they are spoon feeding the participants and yeah, as a volunteer, this can be easy to do.

*My* experience (8 burns) is that there are a ton of new people each year. They are eager, they want to belong, and I become a "docent" to each and every one of them, volunteering or not.

Man Watch has been around since 2008 (Post-Addis). Last year it was "officialized" as a department and not someone else's red-headed step-child. It seemed to run smoother than in years past. While infrequent, there are sometimes serious health and safety concerns at the Man Base and our main function is to deal them. Talking to people is what we do during the quiet times.

And who's to say docents always give accurate information?
(a repost, I know)

LONG LIVE CACOPHONY!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Actually, I've got to say that from a volunteer-adjacent point of view, man-watch is a pretty valid and solid form of volunteering. I have not been a part of that team, but my gf worked several shifts of man-watch over a couple years and it was a pretty good experience.

Yeah, there's a tiny aspect that involves keeping an eye out for bad actors. There's also a small aspect that involves keeping an eye out for ppl that need some kind of help... that 'watcher' aspect is similar to the Temple Guardians. But there's a social aspect to it too, since it's not just purely standing in the shadows and not really just playing docent. You're not there to feed people stories about artists or history of the man, but your'e welcome to strike up conversations and chat with ppl. There are a TON of excited new people. Not just new as in first year at Burning Man, but new as in "OMG I *just* arrived an hour ago" new. Instead of just pointing or brushing ppl off, teach the newbie how to figure stuff out for themselves, point 'em towards places they can get involved and participate, and yeah... have a little fun with that.

Joe, how long are man-watch shifts these days? I know that when the man was just on the ground the day shifts were all out in the sun, but with this year's indoor man plan will there be some inside and some outside?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Token, If people want to come and 'watch' my camp I'm down for that. Any involvement is better than none. E street and 5:15. The 20 foot flag that says Tiger Man Camp. (Don't blame me. My partner named it.) It would be a shame to need someone at the Man and not have anyone to help. Does 'Man Watch' have radios? If not, never mind.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Token

Postby Token » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm a angry bitter old jaded burner. That is not an opinion - it is a fact!

First it was the temple guardians with their "Faith Militants" attitude shushing anyone that farts too loud.

Now we got the man watch with guided meditation tours.

If they add JOTS attendants that can slap a dollop hand sanitizer and a spritz of cologne for a tip I can die in peace and say I've seen it all.

Extra, extra! Volunteers needed for the nose-pickers! Pick your friends, pick your nose, pick your friend's nose! Nose picking for goodness!

Y'all have had way too much of the cool-aide.

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 am

@Trilo- Shifts are 6 hours and yes, it looks like there will be plenty of shade to rotate in and out of. It would be great to see your GF out there again.

@Ratty- I'll watch your camp anytime, radio at my side.

@Token- Aloe, lanolin, cucumber or straight ethanol? I'll pick up whichever you prefer.

Token

Postby Token » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
@Token- Aloe, lanolin, cucumber or straight ethanol? I'll pick up whichever you prefer.

I already have sheep on the ranch so no lanolin for me.

Ghost Pepper infused ethanol sounds nice.

Now if you can line up some of that Whole Foods )12 asparagus water, that might seal the deal!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Maybe your farts are special or something. :D

I've made plenty of noise at the temple - actually for a few years there I was essentially stealing it for a night for something of a wake. I used to coordinate with them back then so we could coordinate efforts (it was a big wake), and can't say I really had any problems. It's probably also worth mentioning that I don't spend a lot of time at the temple, either. I try and visit as early in the week as possible, mostly to ogle the artistry of the build but occasionally also later in the week with a friend or campmate who feels the need to make the trek. Otherwise I'm off and about someplace else.

You should float the idea of a JOTS attendant out to those guys who do the pooparazzi (red carpet and photographers outside a random person's potty), I bet it would be hilarious to have some random unsuspecting person offering colognes and mints and towels when they step out. :mrgreen:

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Couldn't we just have some of those rentable headphones and pre-recorded guides that give a tour as the person wanders between exhibit to exhibit?

"At the sound of the beep, please move to the next exhibit to continue the tour. If you'd like to spend more time at this exhibit, please press the pause button."

* BEEP *
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm

BBadger wrote:Couldn't we just have some of those rentable headphones....

Nah, I think that just hanging out around the Man and visiting with people is enough.
It's kinda like here on ePlaya. Bullshiting and helping out folks who ask.

Silent Disco wouldn't be a bad idea tho.....

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”