Workshop/studio space around Oakland?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
swampy
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Sextant

Workshop/studio space around Oakland?

Postby swampy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Heya folks, been lurking here for a while but I'm finally over my shyness!

I'm from the east coast so it took me a while to figure out where my tribe was, but after my first burn in 2015 my creative compulsions woke from their long coma. I moved out to this coast (Davis at the moment) for dumb reasons that I'm over now, and will be moving to Oakland in October. I helped out with the Lighthouse project last year, Sextant (giant tesla coils and zipline on esplanade!) this year, and I'm filling notebooks with all kinds of crazy ideas - art, structures, vehicles, you name it - and I need a space to start making things. I want to bring art to the playa next year and bring quasi-guerilla art to the people until then.

I used to dream of having a space in American Steel, but I can't get a read on what's going on over there. By the way some residents I know are talking, it doesn't seem like a solid place anymore.

m0xy seems really great, but I get the impression they want to keep it for working artists at risk of being displaced from the bay area. I'm a goddamn carpetbagger with a salary job, full stop. :/

I'm looking for a space to work on, well, anything. Wood, metal, electronics, vehicles, you name it and I probably have sketches involving it. I just found out about NIMBY but I'd like to explore all my options. I'm still kind of a stranger around here and all I know is that I don't know what's around. It would be great to find a like minded individual with space to rent and do things noncommercially, but that's just a preference.

So, my dusty brothers and sisters, where should I start?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Workshop/studio space around Oakland?

Postby gaminwench » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Check out Kraftworks, on Adeline.

Jon's a great guy, blacksmith with many playa projects under his belt, and he rents to artist/crafts(wo)men.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012

Postby torrey.smith » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Uh hey there Swampy. That's kinda what I am at m0xy, too :oops:

JOIN US
Sarge

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

Or come to Sacramento, some cool work spaces up here without (yet) the stupid cost of living of the Bay Area. Also, 2 hours closer to BRC.

swampy
Burning Since: 2015

Postby swampy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Hahahaha, that didn't take long :)

As a theme camp, Sextant is a presence that inherently benefits the community... My projects would too, but not inherently, and I'm a little squeamish about having that hanging over my head when I'm getting my creativity on. Ya know?

But you can bet your ass I'll be hanging out there a lot working on stuff with these cool folks I know that have a space there...

torrey.smith wrote:Uh hey there Swampy. That's kinda what I am at m0xy, too :oops:

JOIN US

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”