Art car/vehicle working space [Bay Area (SF)]

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
vikingandamuse
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: No

Art car/vehicle working space [Bay Area (SF)]

Post by vikingandamuse » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for any burner communities in the SF or Bay Area who have workspace for art car and mutant vehicles.

My fiance and I want to get involved in the creative community and start working on a burner mobile/art car for next year. We live in SF but don't mind traveling on the weekend a little ways to get involved.

Anyone know of any? Have a beautiful day!
The Viking and a Muse

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Re: Art car/vehicle working space [Bay Area (SF)]

Post by torrey.smith » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am

Do not underestimate the financial impact of building art at larger scales.

The m0xy warehouse space in Oakland is home to Sextant and many other projects. All told I'm paying on the order of $2.30 per square foot for our space there.

If that doesn't scare you, go for it!!!

If it does scare you, you might consider joining a large scale project for this cycle to meet all the people and spaces that churn out major art every year.

I went from my backyard, to a storage unit, to outside storage at a Makerspace, and finally to a Warehouse space, each step of the way being totally overwhelmed by the magnitude of the cost of the next step.

Building art in the desert has become one of the profound luxuries of my life, and the privilege comes at an incredible cost of sanity and security.

It also allows you to experience a lifestyle that many could only dream of.

I feel like I've grown to shoulder the load as the load has grown. On the good days.
Sarge

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

Torrey, Your efforts are so appreciated. 75% of the community sees your projects. (Like the way I make up statistics?) I'm not sure of the percentage that zips and climbs but you never fail to impress.

Taking virgins to your camp is like touring Coit Tower, Fisherman's wharf and The Cliff House/Camera Obscura. Only Sextant is way better.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am

Oh Ratty, thank you. It's all been weighing heavily on me recently.

I'm trying to find my path.
Sarge

vikingandamuse
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: No

Post by vikingandamuse » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey Torrey,

Thanks for the tips! I will check out M0xy... are you there often? My fiance and I would love to come check out the space.
The Viking and a Muse

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm

vikingandamuse wrote:Hey Torrey,

Thanks for the tips! I will check out M0xy... are you there often? My fiance and I would love to come check out the space.
Someone from Sextant is there frequently. PM me for deets :D
Sarge

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”