Burner Virgin

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Tiger Lilly
Burning Since: 2019

Burner Virgin

Post by Tiger Lilly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 pm

So much information to process! Wow! Found out everything is sold out. Do I still have a chance to get involved? What groups should I look to join?

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Re: Burner Virgin

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 pm

If you want to go, you need to get a ticket. You can still do so through the STEP program and the OMG sale. More information here: https://tickets.burningman.org

To be clear, though, you're still going to have to come up with the money to buy it, as well as the money to put together everything you need to survive out there and to get yourself and all of it there. You're not going to get a free or reduced price ticket by volunteering, you need to get the ticket so that you can show up and pitch in.

If that's too much for you to make happen this year, I would suggest looking into your regional community. There are regional events all around the country that can give you a taste of what the burn is like. Check out https://regionals.burningman.org

Tiger Lilly
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Tiger Lilly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you! Ready to become part of the BM community! 🔥🌀🔥🌀🔥🌀🔥🌀🔥

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 am

As a long time volunteer for TTITD I would recommend not trying to join any of the departments your first year there -- enjoy wandering around gobsmacked as you will be if you're paying the slightest bit of attention. Then you'll be better able to figure out if you want to drink the Kool-aide and which tribe you want to drink it with. If you feel you have to contribute more to the City than you realized going in, there are V-spots in Center Camp and the 3 and 9 o'clock plazas where you can discover how you can participate for a few hours or even all day.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”