1000 Burner Protest: Project Jericho

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.
Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 pm

What makes you think you're going to be able to 'adopt' the technology, Bob? You can buy the technology, sometime. I have a feeling you're not going to be able to simply apply for some and take it home, though. Nor are the companies going to be willing to simply part with the spec and let you go and make it...
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:26 pm

My tribe is posted as well, now. Here's the link

http://tribes.tribe.net/project_jericho

itwazed

Postby itwazed » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:16 am

The Brothers Twazed will def be involved Fat SAM and Id like to offer the Lounge de la Twazed as a pre protest staging area and/or a post protest gathering area.

Peace, Love, and Twazed
Fly Fat ASS!!! FLY!!!!!
He smoked a phat cronic blunt.

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 pm

If any of you guys want to see a blatant attempt at further commodification of the event, go look at the fucktard that posted the thread in the Q&A section called Tatoo Anthroplogist (or some such drivel). Here we go again with the Discovery Channel.

Abductor

Postby Abductor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Okay, I'm very new to Burning Man which partly makes me feel like I'm not qualified to have an opinion on this, but after reading that the Discovery Channel is being allowed to film their latest cheezy gimmick "The Tattoo Hunter" at the event, I'm signed on to the protest.

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:05 pm

I am not convinced he has permission to film yet. This guy is just too blatantly opposite the non-commodification principle to have been filled in by the BMORG. I would think anyone having a license to film would have been better educated by the powers that be to tread a bit more gently.

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:07 pm

By the way, I'm in - how about posters and picket signs?

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Larry Harvey will get the last laugh for sure !!!

He sees 1000 people protesting his ideas (corporate involvment) but these protesters PAID to get into BM. Lets see here, lets say that all 1000 people paid $145.00 a ticket. That equals $145,000 towards the ORGS spending. We all know that everyone thats protesting didnt get a $145.00 ticket. Some people will spend $250.00 or $280.00 or even $400.00 at the gate. This means that you protesters have INVESTED from $145,000 up to $400,000 into BM and reaffirming that BM is a BOOMING BUSINESS.

Way to stand your ground and show them whos boss all while Larry laughs all the way to the bank.

If you dont like his theme or ideas...DONT FUCKING GO TO BURNING MAN THIS YEAR.

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:03 pm

dj - I have never been very good at listening to the "sit down and shut up" kinds of directions. Dr. Suess said it best, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Das Bus wrote:
capjbadger wrote:Great idea Sam. I have to admit I'm of the same mind as Mike on this one. I'm going to try to keep an open mind until I see it. I'm getting there early, so I should have time to make up my mind before the protests start happening. :)

Das Bus wrote:This sounds like fun - and I just ordered 2 megaphones last week! MUWHAHAHAHA

Personally I think we should do this whether we like what we see or not. It's performance art and shows the world that WE have a voice, and what WE say matters.

Where did yu get the megaphones? I've been looking for good priced ones that are not cheap ass toy ones for a while now.

Badger

I ordered them from http://www,dealextreme.com I found the info off the AZ list. Some people have bought the battery operated key chain lights from them and have been very happy with them, so I'm throwinf caution to the wind, as these megaphones are about $10 each with free shipping.

It's pretty cool to post a link to some company's stuff when this is a thread about protesting corporations at BM! LOL
; )

I was amused by the irony as well. ;) lol

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

capjbadger
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Token wrote:
capjbadger wrote: The org is using your free labor to sell the BM "client base" as a ready packaged market for corporations to advertise to.

Badger

So if MG didn't open her big mouth and call us out as the "buying power behind the brand" and a "value proposition" would you give a rats ass about the pavilion?

Yes, of course I would.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

madmatt

Re: 1000 Burner Protest: Project Jericho

Postby madmatt » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 am

Fat SAM wrote:I'm looking for a thousand people who want to protest the corporate pavilion.

I'm in. I'll try to get people from our camp to participate. I'm sure you will have no problem finding enough people.

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:17 pm

dj_john69 wrote:Larry Harvey will get the last laugh for sure !!!

He sees 1000 people protesting his ideas (corporate involvment) but these protesters PAID to get into BM. Lets see here, lets say that all 1000 people paid $145.00 a ticket. That equals $145,000 towards the ORGS spending. We all know that everyone thats protesting didnt get a $145.00 ticket. Some people will spend $250.00 or $280.00 or even $400.00 at the gate. This means that you protesters have INVESTED from $145,000 up to $400,000 into BM and reaffirming that BM is a BOOMING BUSINESS.

Way to stand your ground and show them whos boss all while Larry laughs all the way to the bank.

If you dont like his theme or ideas...DONT FUCKING GO TO BURNING MAN THIS YEAR.

John,
We've known each other for a long time and I guess I'm surprised that you're so against the idea of protesting. I could quit, sure. Everyone who's disgruntled about it could quit Burning Man. But why? Why give up on something that you love? Why not protest? You have every right to say 'don't do it', of course...I just don't understand why you're so vehement about it. Maybe the Hat will laugh at us. Who cares? We're mired in times that are full of bullshit and protest is called for in so many places...Maybe this is the tiny catalyst that will spread a protest virus out into mainstream society. Maybe this will catch a fire in the real world, too. If everyone just says 'fuck it, I quit' there's absolutely no chance that things will change except according to the whim of those who already have power. They'll just run as those who hold the reigns wish them to.

So why not try?

I'm looking forward to seeing you out there nonetheless, John. You're a little piece of home and in spite of the fact that we were never super close or anything, I've always regarded you as a friend.

To those who have expressed interest and support, THANKS! We'll continue to communicate here, of course, and I've tried to pm everyone. I confess, I didn't read this thread before I started sending notes, so some of you got redundant messages...If you haven't yet, check out the myspace or the tribe pages or we can just keep in touch on eplaya. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and hope that you'll spread the word in your regions. If we can get support from just one of every hundred or even two or three hundred Burneres, we'll still have a hell of a number of people to make some noise.

Thanks again, guys! You've refreshed my courage, hope, and drive!

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:30 pm

I'm sure everyone was keen to this...I just saw it, though. Awesome.
http://www.pixelfacade.com/forbes/

Teo del Fuego
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:33 pm

the thought of the Pavillion rankles me on serveral different levels, but I will withhold judgment until I see it. I think the interviews given by The Hat and MG were totally inappropriate and a sell-out. Despite ActionGrl's infrequent posts here, the BMorg clearly doesn't give a damn about the people who support them. Maybe if one of us posed as a writer with the Wall Street Journal, they might talk to us. I think any protest should be aimed at First Camp, not the "vendors."

I have an additional and more subtle reason to be disappointed at the Pavillion. Its a great lost opportunity to create something other-wordly and original. I loved the 2005 event so much in no small part due to the totally left-field trip the fun house maze was. Dripping with Hugh D'Andrade-esque turn of the (19th) century esthetics, it made the Man the center of incredible art that simply transported me out of Defaultia.

The Pavillion may turn out great, who knows? But they effectively put Defaultia at the damn base of the Man. Could they have not put it somewhere else? Did it have to be surrounding our very symbol?

Oh well, its gonna be interesting to see what the hell happens.

LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:13 pm

Fat SAM wrote:I'm sure everyone was keen to this...I just saw it, though. Awesome.

I smell Pranksters.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 pm

"Protesting somebody else's art is retarded."

First of all, this is not art. This is corporate sponsorship wrapped in an art cloak.

And Bidness is bidness, at least until it is no longer profitable. I sincerely hope that it will absolutely *not* be profitable.

I will most happily participate in any anti-corporate-pavillion mob scene organized by more energenic burners.

Fuck these people and the profit-driven horses they rode in on.

How many times do we have to say NO! If there were a poll, and 100% of *ticket-buying* participants said, "Fuck No!", would you back away? Last I checked, it was 86%.

The Org is clearly complicit here, which raises larger questions about the event. But the first order of Bidness is to decisively sway their fucking board members away from ever trying his approach again.

Sponsored by a PR firm. Gee. Can it be there is a profit motive here somewhere? This is a slow pitch, and if you are giving them the benefit of the doubt, they are laughing their asses off at you. Hi Mel! Good work week done and done.

Tell me again how this will never monetarily benefit your corporate masters.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:43 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
Fat SAM wrote:I'm sure everyone was keen to this...I just saw it, though. Awesome.

I smell Pranksters.

I did too...I'm thinking of writing to the author listed on the page and just asking if it was a real story.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:16 pm

I did too...I'm thinking of writing to the author listed on the page and just asking if it was a real story.

You're joking, right?

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:15 pm

Sometimes I'm even too dry for the playa...

I

Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:42 am

MikeVDS wrote:If I see it and feel the pavilion is pure evil, I'll join in, but i won't commit until I see it. Gigsville is having the same discussion on our internal lists.

Same here. I have mixed feelings about the pavilion. I can imagine a way to show off new "green" technology without promoting any particular company. The problem is whether or not the ORG is serious about their principle.

Now I do want to help stir up trouble with the TV folks, especially SpikeTV.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:44 pm

If you guys wait until you see it and decide to join then, that's fine. If it grows slowly or on playa, so be it. I'll be at 8:45ish and Freshwater at Stag Camp.

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I agree; this could have been really cool. But they chose to 'Market" it instead. If they had said, Hey! Here is a forum for new Green tech, and we are totally showcasing it for free at the base of the Man! That would have been one thing.

They decided to go a different (profit-driven) direction.

Make them pay.

I will also try to have an open mind and go see the installation, and then decide it is evil. I hope they know to build out of asbestos.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."

- Judge Dredd

Plastic G'zus

Postby Plastic G'zus » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:09 pm

won't the pavillion be gone by the seventh day?
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.

retr0f0cus

Postby retr0f0cus » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:58 pm

sounds like a gateway to bigger and worser things.
one of the things i really respect about BM is the no money allowed thing.
how does advertising fit into that ideal?

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:45 pm

It doesn't.

- Judge Dredd

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:50 pm

Monkies MONKIES MONKIES and donkey FUCKING...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm

I think that if you really want to see a change then you must boycott the event by giving your ticket away at the gate so the Bmorg doesn't make the money it really needs: those $400 tickets.

Who would be the first one to sacrifice!

decibel

looking for comment on Project Jericho

Postby decibel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:32 am

In Defaultia, I'm a reporter for the Sacramento Bee, and I'm working on a story on the Green Man pavilion. Would like to talk to the Project Jericho leader, or a reasonable facsimile. Anyone? Please write me directly at dbarton@sacbee.com.
Find out who you really are, then do it on purpose. Dolly Parton

Steven bradford

Postby Steven bradford » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:00 pm

but I will withhold judgment until I see it.

Ahh...now where's the fun in that??!!

Return to “Get Involved!”