Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
lo.overflown

Re: Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

Postby lo.overflown » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I REALLY WANT TO BE ADOPTED! My German partner and I create STONE INSTRUMENTS that vibrate as you play creating a visceral, powerful, penetrating sensate experience while creating glorious music like Tibetan singing bowls, but much much more musically diverse and beautiful to listen to.

We want to share and take part in this community and provide energy treatments with these unique and irreplaceable instruments!!

PLEASE ADOPT US!!!

LOVE and Namaste,
Lo and Hannes

Bubb

Postby Bubb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:48 am

~We are UK dwelling Australian's who have a crew of about 13 virgins from australia, greece, UK all meeting again at BM.

I have been off sick from work for 6 weeks with a broken knee and have tirelessly researched and read everything I can think of to prepare ourselves for BM!

Its already a rollercoaster of !yes we can do this!! to !eeek what have we got our selves into!!!

I will be attentding the next burning pub in london (on crutches) which I think will help iron a few more questions out but would love to be adopted none the less.

Plan is to rent a tent and some equipment from lowergear (saves waste at the end), driving a 4x4, building a monkey hut (thank you thank you thank you shadegeeks!) buying bikes.

My "issue" at the moment is my current level of participation. I want to volunteer, participate get involved but am struggling as to where to begin. I have tried to volunetter for a few things via the main website but the "full time" positions are full and just reccomended i turn up on the day. unfortunately due to work commitments and being from over seas we cant afford a huge amount of time before and after the event but would love to have more of a purpose whilst i'm there. I unfortunatly dont have any exceptional talents... but can take directions and am more than will to help our with someone elses project!

anyhoo, London based, have ticket. will be inthe USA from 19/8 - 9/10

Cheers burners!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Bubb! Welcome to ePlaya.

Volunteer at Lamplighters. It's a walkup opportunity daily at 5pm. No registration. Go to Center Camp at 4:45pm and ask around; last year they were just off the Western edge of Center Camp, I think. You work for a few hours, get lots of cheers during your lighting procession, finish with sangria back at Lamplighters Lounge (I think).

If you don't end up at Lamplighters you will still find a way to give or volunteer. Get your work gloves and ask your neighbors if they need help w/ setup. Or head to Center Camp or one of the plazas on the map and ask at various spots. Carry a few extra travel sizes or snacks in a little backpack. Chill a few extra drinks. Keep your eyes open for people who need assistance. It'll work out.

Its already a rollercoaster of !yes we can do this!! to !eeek what have we got our selves into!!!

I have a little of this every time! :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

And remember, we don't expect first timers to volunteer. It's a change, and trying to cope with the difference in mental space, while holding on to real world space in the form of time (for instance), can be a challenge.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dnjones2

Postby dnjones2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Looking for someone to adopt me for 2012 Burning Man or possibly 2013. I am just now discovering the awesomeness of Burning Man and need to attempt to get a ticket (if possible). Sooo if I am not able to get a ticket for 2012, I am going to try for 2013. I am from Memphis, Tn, but will be living in Jacksonville, Fl this year around the time of Burning man. I am a very open-minded individual that NEEDS this experience of getting away from my day to day life of living in corporate concrete suburbia hell. I am not looking to go as an excuse to get fucked and fucked up for a week. I want to enjoy art and be a part of a different kind of community. I am 22, married, and a college student at University of Memphis. I really would like my husband to go with me, but I just don't know if he is the same kind of person, who would enjoy it as much as me. Besides this year he will still be in the Navy and is afraid that would hinder his ability to fully enjoy the experience. (It really bothers him being around anyone smoking weed when he is not able to.) So if anyone has any advice or is possibly willing to adopt me if I am able to get a ticket, it would change my life and make me insanely happy :D. I am a hard-working girl and if given the chance to participate in a camp, I would gladly pull my weight in financial contributions (gas, food, supplies), day to day duties (cooking, cleaning, set-up and tear down etc), and whatever is needed. That being said I AM married so if going without my husband maybe a group of girls would be best?

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Your first lesson: Plenty of us don't rely on chemicals to define our burns.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

jameyvegas

Postby jameyvegas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:11 pm

It starts this year on my birthday August 27th,2012. I just sent a email back to be on the set up crew and take down crew for this year. I am a virgin burner, but well aware of some experiences that will occur there, EVENTHOUGH, it's different every year. I HAD A CHANCE TO GO IN 2011, BECAUSE IF FIX A FRIENDS BUS THAT WAS NEAR CENTER CAMP. I WASN'T PREPARED MENTALLY AND ALL OTHER PREPERATIONS. I would like some one to SPONSER ME IF SOMETHING COULD BE ARRANGED. I haven't wanted to be SOMEWHERE MORE THAN THIS IN 15 YEARS OR SO!!! JAMEYVEGAS1 at YAHOO dot COM
i HOPE SOMEONE CAN KEEP MY VISION AND GOAL TO BE THERE ALIVE- i HAVE A SILVER,CRYSTAL,QUARTZ ROCK THAT NEEDS TO GO HOME TO THE PLAYA TOO. THANKYOU FOR READING JAMEY ALLAN MORGAN(AKA RADAR FROM M.A.S.H. TV PROGRAM.

digitz3feetkazoo

Postby digitz3feetkazoo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Looking to be adopted. =^-^= i am good with other people and children, housebroken, do not bite and am up to date on my shots. Must go to friendly burner. =P don't know if i am going yet, have to hear back from low income people.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm

jameyvegas wrote:It starts this year on my birthday August 27th,2012. I just sent a email back to be on the set up crew and take down crew for this year. I am a virgin burner, but well aware of some experiences that will occur there, EVENTHOUGH, it's different every year. I HAD A CHANCE TO GO IN 2011, BECAUSE IF FIX A FRIENDS BUS THAT WAS NEAR CENTER CAMP. I WASN'T PREPARED MENTALLY AND ALL OTHER PREPERATIONS. I would like some one to SPONSER ME IF SOMETHING COULD BE ARRANGED. I haven't wanted to be SOMEWHERE MORE THAN THIS IN 15 YEARS OR SO!!! JAMEYVEGAS1 at YAHOO dot COM
i HOPE SOMEONE CAN KEEP MY VISION AND GOAL TO BE THERE ALIVE- i HAVE A SILVER,CRYSTAL,QUARTZ ROCK THAT NEEDS TO GO HOME TO THE PLAYA TOO. THANKYOU FOR READING JAMEY ALLAN MORGAN(AKA RADAR FROM M.A.S.H. TV PROGRAM.

Simon, is that you?

Hm. Who else would have a sock?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:09 pm

jameyvegas wrote:It starts this year on my birthday August 27th,2012. I just sent a email back to be on the set up crew and take down crew for this year. I am a virgin burner, but well aware of some experiences that will occur there, EVENTHOUGH, it's different every year. I HAD A CHANCE TO GO IN 2011, BECAUSE IF FIX A FRIENDS BUS THAT WAS NEAR CENTER CAMP. I WASN'T PREPARED MENTALLY AND ALL OTHER PREPERATIONS. I would like some one to SPONSER ME IF SOMETHING COULD BE ARRANGED. I haven't wanted to be SOMEWHERE MORE THAN THIS IN 15 YEARS OR SO!!! JAMEYVEGAS1 at YAHOO dot COM

I am seeing several posts in this thread that I could use a translator for (not just this one). I'm not the snarkiest fish in this pool, but seriously?

It's a simple concept people - one thought, one sentence! I just don't have the psychic ability to decipher your meaning when you can't complete a sentence before moving onto another thought.

At least most of these posts know what punctuation is.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Punctuation is pretty advanced stuff, when you forget that the "caps lock" also unlocks.

Although, especially with the name stuff at the end, I wonder if we might be looking at someone who's not all there... In which case, I'm an ass.
The Lady with a Lamprey

xtraslky

Postby xtraslky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:34 pm

So, birgins, what are you looking for in an adoption? Are you looking to be told about preparation? are you looking to be guided into volunteer opportunities? one thing that is initially strange about burning man for new participants is that there is no default "structure" or management that you can look to for managing your experience. For every burner thats going to be riding her bike naked while drinking tequila all day there are 4 more who quietly spend their days reading poetry and doing yoga. its a city, sort of like any other city, in that it has a very diverse population. You singing bowl people above - what is it about your singing bowls that requires any adoption at all? just bring your bowls, set them up on the ground, and start making them sing. You dont need a permission slip or a time slot.

Theme camps are a different idea entirely. Joining a theme camp has nothing to do with being adopted. Think long and hard before you decide if you want to tie yourself to a theme camp and its rules/expectations/requirements/demands. I've had new campers come to our camp in tears because their theme camps were totalitarian bullshit slavery farms with unrealistic expectations (here! go wash the dishes from us having 50 strangers for dinner! sucks to be you, buddy!).

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:46 pm

It is so tempting to make a joke about icepicking xtraslky, but I think that that's too easily misunderstood...

Not all camps are those slavery based exploitation horrors she (I hope I guessed right on gender here), but they do exist. Perhaps one of the best things a good mentor can do, is help you understand the dark side of the event. It's very easy for people to forget that Black Rock City is a city, and that not all burners are savory.

Of course, there are other camps that are fun and enhance your experience. I've never really camped without a theme camp (although we can argue about if Medic Camp and Fire Camp count, I suppose) but in some way that's cheated myself. It's nice not having an agenda other than my own whims. The one thing that I would say join a camp for is a shade structure if your tenting it and don't have one of your own. Shade at midday is non-negotiable with me. Of course, I just don't have the balls (shaven or not) to sit in some one else's shade uninvited, so there may be ways around that for those with chutzpah.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Mojojita

Postby Mojojita » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Any virgins with tickets living in the bay area should consider attending the Participation Faire at BMHQ on 4/21/12. There will be an orientation for virgins beginning at 11:00am, a potluck lunch and a "Meet your VC (volunteer coordinator)" session where participants can chat with reps from departments they may want to volunteer with and have questions about volunteering answered.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

PlayaPatrol

seeking members

Postby PlayaPatrol » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 am

Reincarnation and Penance Camp 2012 is seeking members. We're looking for positive hard workers that can supply their own ticket. 18 years and up, easygoing, good attitudes only. No experience required.
We'll reincarnate playans. They will confess their sins, do a penance that varies with the individual, then emerge reborn through a giant vagina. We'll issue playa birth certificates.
We need any and all of these:
People to sew and build the camp's elements in the LA or Dallas areas. Artists are highly welcome!
People to transport the camp to and from the playa. Trucks or vans are needed.
People to set up and tear down.
People to help run the penance and reincarnations.
People to make the camp swag.
People to set up the camp shower.
People to help with the fundraising events.
We may have meals depending on the members desires.
We'll be doing parkour on the playa.
Each night we'll have a different costume theme party: historical, holiday/santa, clown, zombie, pirate.
We'll have a Playa Patrol where volunteers will wear a red shirt with white cross front and back (think ski patrol) and/or ranger satire outfit scouring the playa for Black Rock Citizens in need of aid. That aid will consist of alcohol, sunscreen, snacks, earplugs, dust masks, on the spot penance or our camp's swag depending on the specific circumstances.
We'll have a great location and fun time. Be reborn on the playa! Please pass the word along.
We will be attending Burning Flipside near Austin TX and Elysium in CA too.
We're having our first meeting in Los Angeles April 10.
Message playapatrol at gmail dot com with your Burning Man experience if any and why you want to participate for more info.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Postby goathead » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 am

Not really to sure how I feel about Adopt a BM Virgin.

Break out of your mold, go out and experience things you would never do.
Smile, dance, look at the world with the eyes of a child.
Invite your neighbors over for coffee or breakfast in the morning.

I have brought out many "virgins" over the years.
Have them camp out in the bergs.
Tell them its ok if they find me and have a beer or maybe two.
But then tell them to go out and get lost.
They already know me, and there is so much more to do then drink beer with me.
:D

So much more fun without a tour guide.
Fucking hippies, get off my alkali flat
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I would say that every virgin will feel adopted once they reach BRC. All they have to do is ask the nearest person for some assistance and they will have an instant friend who will guide them with whatever they need. All virgins get adopted--just ask! :D

Aunechild

Postby Aunechild » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I'd love to be adopted!!! I have been to burning man only in spirit for the past way to many years I do not yet have a ticket but I know I AM GONIG TO MAKE IT THIS YEAR IT EVEN STARTS ON THE DAY OF MY BIRTH .... oh Home and how it calls for me come drea come home to your family your friends breath the dust and feel the sand sting your knees I live in Humboldt county out 36 in the trees that tower way over me :) http://www.facebook.com/aunechild and I am waiting ever so patiently

Inko Gnito
Burning Since: 2011

Postby Inko Gnito » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Aunechild wrote:... I have been to burning man only in spirit for the past way to many years... oh Home and how it calls for me come drea come home to your family your friends breath the dust and feel the sand sting your knees...

*shivering*

Buena Chica

Postby Buena Chica » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I want to dopt 2-3 virgens in San Francisco NOW to help out with a GIFT idea..... will begin work on May... Let me show you just how much time and creative juices it takes to BIRTH an idea on La Playa!!! My project is called INSTANT PLAYA FAMILIES!!!! Get a hold of me to get together and talk through project!!! CALL ME BUEAN CHiCA!!!

smathews

Postby smathews » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Hello Burning Man, my first post on eplaya.

This will be my first year, I'm very excited.. From London to a desert and back.

I want to experience everything. I want to say yes. I want to make many new friends. I want to make people smile, laugh and dance. I want to help, but I also want to be helped. I want to live, more than I have ever lived before. I want to open my eyes, and close my eyes. I want to dream, but not lose touch. But most of all, I want to remeber. Remeber what I was before, and what I am after.. and hopefully, I will leave, not wanting anymore.

See you soon people of the Playa.

Malenopark

Postby Malenopark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Sean from Washington DC.. Just got a ticket and will be going alone.. Need all the advice I can get.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:37 am

Malenopark wrote:Sean from Washington DC.. Just got a ticket and will be going alone.. Need all the advice I can get.

Dude, where can we meet up? I am happy to help.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

disco_duncan
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Endorphins/Orphans=Endorphans

Postby disco_duncan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 am

smathews wrote:Hello Burning Man, my first post on eplaya.

This will be my first year, I'm very excited.. From London to a desert and back.

I want to experience everything. I want to say yes. I want to make many new friends. I want to make people smile, laugh and dance. I want to help, but I also want to be helped. I want to live, more than I have ever lived before. I want to open my eyes, and close my eyes. I want to dream, but not lose touch. But most of all, I want to remeber. Remeber what I was before, and what I am after.. and hopefully, I will leave, not wanting anymore.

Hi smathews,

Are you travelling alone? If so, consider joining the Orphan/Endorphin camp. It will give you a whole group of friends to enjoy your adventure with.

https://www.facebook.com/OrphanEndorphinCampPublic
Duncan Bee
Warrington, UK.

Burner in 2012 & 2013.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:25 pm

smathews wrote:Hello Burning Man, my first post on eplaya.

You sound like someone who ought to bring a travel journal. :D (I do). But try not to expect too much from this. Expect only an adventure! And prepare your ass off.

Have you been to Burning Pub? London Burners . . .

http://www.euroburners.org/wiki/BurningPub
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Malenopark

Postby Malenopark » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi,

I'm Sean from Washington, DC. First time Burner this year. I had plans to go with a few friends but I was the only one to get a ticket. Looking for any advice for a first time Burner going alone.. Flight and car rental BOOKED!

MyDearFriend

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Malenopark wrote:Hi,

I'm Sean from Washington, DC. First time Burner this year. I had plans to go with a few friends but I was the only one to get a ticket. Looking for any advice for a first time Burner going alone.. Flight and car rental BOOKED!

Dude, do you have a memory disorder? Or Radical Anti-Feminism? :P

MyDearFriend wrote:
Malenopark wrote:Sean from Washington DC.. Just got a ticket and will be going alone.. Need all the advice I can get.

Dude, where can we meet up? I am happy to help.

Still happy to help...
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm

:roll:
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

MyDearFriend

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

whadda ya think is taking the lead there, Ageism? Mysogyny?? Both??? I used to rant and rave about the local Comic Book Guys who never saw me when I walked into their store...

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:03 am

Well, I for one saw MDF's posts......hmmmm......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”