Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
User avatar
chiefdanfox
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:14 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by chiefdanfox » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 pm

robbidobbs wrote:If you're still looking for a GREAT way to volunteer this late in the game, you are more than welcome to join the Poop Patrol. I'll take anyone regardless of experience, lucidity or clothes!
4 hour shift
You get to see the whole city, possibly places you've not even heard of!
You get fed
t shirt, scarf and bragging rights come w the job

See: Get Involved > All about participating ing the Pottie Project

Just ask anyone who's done it, its the best fucking job on the Playa!

Good luck
RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta potties)
There is still a Snor'oran who give shit
Thrice more than anyone dig a pit
The needle she moved, th' eblivious grooved
And all of us bettered because of it.

Ano
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Ano » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

My tenure with GPE begins Saturday... excited and nervous!

Ano
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 pm

No idea why I was nervous. Working for Gate/Perimeter/Exodus was an absurd amount of fun. I highly recommend it if you want to do something totally fucking awesome. Hard work, but incredibly rewarding. The only issue I have is that the week is so short that the major fun rush times for Gate fade away quickly as the week progresses. I'll be working as many shifts as I can next year, and I want to try my hands at some more perimeter shifts..

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29553
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Ano wrote:No idea why I was nervous. Working for Gate/Perimeter/Exodus was an absurd amount of fun. I highly recommend it if you want to do something totally fucking awesome. Hard work, but incredibly rewarding. The only issue I have is that the week is so short that the major fun rush times for Gate fade away quickly as the week progresses. I'll be working as many shifts as I can next year, and I want to try my hands at some more perimeter shifts..
did you go by Ano, on Perimeter? When did you work it? I was there a lot.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Nipple
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Nipple » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Perimeter is the place to be.

Favorite Shift time: Midnight to 6 and outside the trash fence. I loved it last year... this year it meant even more.

Slownuts until you go nuts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ano
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:25 pm

I go by zeBuns on Playa...only worked at p1, with another guy from eplaya (whose name I have forgotten! So sorry!), on Wednesday. Lost my nifty p1 patch someone gave me though...:( only one shift, but I had the radio on, and listening to the perimeter radio traffic made me realize I missed an awesome opportunity! Looking for a rider or driver shift next year, for sure. Most of my time was on gate, with one perimeter and one exodus shift, to get a feel for the different limbs of the department. Long story short, when do I get to wear black again? Counting the days down...

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7767
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Elliot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:49 pm

The largest section of GP&E, the Gate itself (tearing tickets and searching vehicles -- and sorting out problems related thereto) was shorthanded this year, specially on a couple of the busiest shifts. So this is something to look into for next year. It's a serious commitment, but the camaraderie is fantastic.

Me, I enjoyed my seven "dawn patrol" Perimeter Driver shifts, even though I don't normally wear black with scull-n-crossbone logos. Perimeter suits my personality, but many find it boring and lonely.

The Point 1 position that Ano referred to is the Service/Staff entrance -- ambulances, water trucks, etc. It requires only two people per shift, but there is a ton to learn in order to sort out all the various types of entry permits.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29553
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Perimeter management can be tough, but fair and usually quite attractive.

and those patches!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12668
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2023

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Savannah » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 pm

:lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ano
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Not going to lie, a chunk of my motivation to jump into GP&E was to work my way up to an awesome patched/pinned vest with years of service on it.

I have my GPE 2013 patch and a Cargo Cult 2013 patch someone gifted me during exodus, and various pins I was gifted through last year to this one. It's shaping up! Someday, I'll have street cred. Until then... fuck your day? I think? I'm not sure.

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7767
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Elliot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:47 pm

ygmir wrote:Perimeter management can be tough, but fair....
Yes, Master!

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29553
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Ano wrote:Not going to lie, a chunk of my motivation to jump into GP&E was to work my way up to an awesome patched/pinned vest with years of service on it.

I have my GPE 2013 patch and a Cargo Cult 2013 patch someone gifted me during exodus, and various pins I was gifted through last year to this one. It's shaping up! Someday, I'll have street cred. Until then... fuck your day? I think? I'm not sure.
watch those nutty people with patches on their vests!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
C187
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole
Location: Vancouver

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by C187 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 am

Ano wrote:I go by zeBuns on Playa...only worked at p1, with another guy from eplaya (whose name I have forgotten! So sorry!), on Wednesday. Lost my nifty p1 patch someone gave me though...:( only one shift, but I had the radio on, and listening to the perimeter radio traffic made me realize I missed an awesome opportunity! Looking for a rider or driver shift next year, for sure. Most of my time was on gate, with one perimeter and one exodus shift, to get a feel for the different limbs of the department. Long story short, when do I get to wear black again? Counting the days down...
Wait a minute... that wasn't the noon to six shift was it?

Edit --
ygmir wrote:watch those nutty people with patches on their vests!!
I gathered up all my patches and what nots today, and wonder if I should invest in a vest now.. If I do, I'm going to blame you for making the vest sexy. Just say'n.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Ano
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by Ano » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am

Ah! It's coming back to me now. Yes, the noon to six shift. I do believe we were co-workers? Hello again!

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20226
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 am

I love seeing friendly faces at Gate! Smashy this year! Yay!

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29553
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 am

C187 wrote:
Ano wrote:I go by zeBuns on Playa...only worked at p1, with another guy from eplaya (whose name I have forgotten! So sorry!), on Wednesday. Lost my nifty p1 patch someone gave me though...:( only one shift, but I had the radio on, and listening to the perimeter radio traffic made me realize I missed an awesome opportunity! Looking for a rider or driver shift next year, for sure. Most of my time was on gate, with one perimeter and one exodus shift, to get a feel for the different limbs of the department. Long story short, when do I get to wear black again? Counting the days down...
Wait a minute... that wasn't the noon to six shift was it?

Edit --
ygmir wrote:watch those nutty people with patches on their vests!!
I gathered up all my patches and what nots today, and wonder if I should invest in a vest now.. If I do, I'm going to blame you for making the vest sexy. Just say'n.
if you get a vest and we match, people might mistake us for a Wrigley Doublemint gum commercial!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29553
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Working for the man? (DPW OR GPE please respond)

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am

AntiM wrote:I love seeing friendly faces at Gate! Smashy this year! Yay!
I so want to be funny......but I so love Smashy, I can't..............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Post Reply

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”