The Turn-Key Engagement Project - 2015

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

The Turn-Key Engagement Project - 2015

Post by vargaso » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:50 am

I haven't been the past couple years, but even way back in 2012, the turn-key thing was getting pretty substantial. From what I've gathered about this year, it's a full-blown phenomena with it's own street, practically. K Street of course. While my, and seemingly everyone's, first reaction is to shake my fist at it, a better response would be to engage these types of camps with some good ol' Cacophony-like activity. Maybe this has already been done, I don't know. But what I propose is the Turn-Key Engagement Project. We drop in on these camps and provide a little theater. Make an art project out of drawing these people out of their expensive cocoons. Gently satirize their exclusivity. Off the top of my head, something like:
  • Cheap-ass caterers - show up dressed as caterers, serve them cheap stuff like weenies and Tecate
    BRC Luxury tax collectors - First Camp A/C don't come for free, you know
    Mock(?) protests
    Show up as unemployed manservents/maids looking for work
    People with small art cars, pretend to be their chauffeur out to the playa
    Set up a velvet rope outside a camp and have a guy in a suit with an earpiece be a dickhead doorman. Others of us could wait in line, occasionally get rejected by said doorman
    Start-up company looking for VC funding
Etc.

Seriously, the opportunities are endless here, and done in the spirit of fun, not anger or mean-spirited mockery, I'm willing to bet most of the people we'd encounter at the turnkey camps would enjoy it and invite us to hang out and chat. Then some real dialogue could happen.

I'm planning on being there in 2015, and this will be my project. Some fun, satirical, performance-y stuff followed by some chats about the pros/cons of turn-key camps with the very people paying for them. I'm kind of excited. I think I like it.

Edited to add: Who's with me?

FIGJAM

Re: The Turn-Key Engagement Project - 2015

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:53 pm

I like the velvet rope and doorman, but set it up across THIER entrance and THEY get judged on whether they should be aloud out!!! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:09 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I like the velvet rope and doorman, but set it up across THIER entrance and THEY get judged on whether they should be aloud out!!! :twisted:
Ha! I like it.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:22 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the reverse doorman.

"Ahhhhh" Picking over the crowd. "You... you can go in. You... not with that shirt."

*Checking Clipboard* "Are you on the list? I don't see you on the list."

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I do like the idea of putting turnkey camp organizers in an even greater level of educational responsibility.

"Yes, you do get all of these things taken care of for you. And yes, you still must abide the moop and other rules. In addition to all that, you will also probably be engaged by other BM participants because you're using this camp. The best thing you can do is engage with them and try to make connections with them..." something along those lines.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:45 pm

But you're also just handing them the spectacle they paid to watch, and further serving them by bringing it to them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:But you're also just handing them the spectacle they paid to watch, and further serving them by bringing it to them.
That's a valid point, but I think if whatever shenanigans we pull have a noticeable point to them, then the message will get across, and hopefully some dialogue about this topic will ensue. It should be fun, but mordant.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Code: Select all

mordant
1:  biting and caustic in thought, manner, or style :  incisive <a mordant wit>
2:  acting as a mordant
3:  burning, pungent
Burning and pungent definitely seem right up our alley!

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”