updating one's Volunteer Questionnaire?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

updating one's Volunteer Questionnaire?

Post by mooserider » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 am

Is it yet possible to update one's Volunteer Questionnaire after its initial submission? Back when I registered, the BM website said that you can't currently edit an already submitted questionnaire. After finding out that many of the departments for which I would like to volunteer prefer veterans instead of burgins, I would like to add some more choices on my questionnaire (in case my first choices all turn me down for lack of BM experience). Since the mad panic to get my profile registered in time for ticket purchases is over, I have had time to read more about the other departments, and more of them sound like interesting places to volunteer.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: updating one's Volunteer Questionnaire?

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:21 am

I'm pretty sure you can update it whenever you like. What would you like to be when you grow up? (volunteer job) Maybe if we knew we could put you in touch with a volunteer coordinator of that dept. In a lot of depts. you can sign up for shifts after you get there. Others you'll need to come early or attend training or be tested and accepted. The volunteer sign-up in center camp can help you pick out a job you'll love. You can be a greeter, work in ice or the cafe be an earth guardian, guard the man or guard the temple. It's hard to decide with so many interesting options.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 am

You are ever so welcome to join Poop Patrol aplavin! I LOVE virgins! No preregistration needed or expected. On the job "training" and you get to learn all about the infrastructure of BRC. Very appreciated, not difficult at all.
The job:
4 hours shift, more or less as you desire
Deliver tp all over the city
Ride around in the PoopMobile and see the sights
Tell me to drink water
Talk to people about Excremental Correctness
Keep on me about drinking water

Easy peasy!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 am

And it really is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. People automatically think poop patrol would be icky. (I know I did.) Nope. You don't do anything that makes you dirty. You get educated and spread the word. You visit camps and see sights you would never see otherwise. It took me a year to find Robbi but now I know where to look.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hmmm.... This is reminding me of an old Bloom County sequence where Opus became a garbageman, no, a "sanitation engineer".

Don't the pumping service trucks restock the toilet paper?

But(t) I'll definitely check into Potty Patrol once I get there (depending on what I hear from the other departments). As someone who isn't a conventional artist (I'm doing engineering to support my regional's art), I may have lots of free time on my hands once their exhibit is assembled and working on-site if the other departments don't want me.

Are there any photos posted of the PoopMobile?

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes, USS restocked the tp every 4 hours...
During the day.
At night half (at least) the population comes out.
That's where Pottie Friends come in: we restock the pottie friends who the restock at dusk and if they see units that are out.
Unfortunately in very densely populated areas they do run out during the day also.

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Now that's a scary thought: stumbling around in a porta-pottie in the dark (and then finding out it's out of TP). Is there illumination in/near the porta-potties so you can see what you are doing? Or is there great need for headlamps so you can see where you are aiming/sitting?

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Personal light for the potties is a must.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:48 pm

A personal light and TP are a small part of the standard "walk about" kit.

Prepare like it ain't there!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Last edited by FIGJAM on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm

FYI: the PoopMobiles pic is on my book face profile.
Burgundy Toyota station weapon

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:49 pm

apavlin wrote:Now that's a scary thought: stumbling around in a porta-pottie in the dark (and then finding out it's out of TP). Is there illumination in/near the porta-potties so you can see what you are doing? Or is there great need for headlamps so you can see where you are aiming/sitting?
Do not leave home (camp) without a light, ever. Not even if you leave camp at noon "just for a minute" - there is always that one time you end up on the far end of the city somehow, and now it's dark & you have to visit the blue room... Same goes with TP - carry your own, just in case. There's been a point almost every year where I've had to use my stash, usually when I'm out exploring deep playa and the few blue rooms are trashed.

It's very easy to end up "accidentally" wandering at Burning Man, I never leave camp without water & something like a granola bar (in case blood sugar gets low), and my little day-pack has a small flashlight, tp, baby wipes, lip-balm, kleenex, etc in it. At night I have more lights, but I also carry sunglasses.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Eric wrote:Do not leave home (camp) without a light, ever. Not even if you leave camp at noon "just for a minute" - there is always that one time you end up on the far end of the city somehow, and now it's dark & you have to visit the blue room... Same goes with TP - carry your own, just in case. There's been a point almost every year where I've had to use my stash, usually when I'm out exploring deep playa and the few blue rooms are trashed.

It's very easy to end up "accidentally" wandering at Burning Man, I never leave camp without water & something like a granola bar (in case blood sugar gets low), and my little day-pack has a small flashlight, tp, baby wipes, lip-balm, kleenex, etc in it. At night I have more lights, but I also carry sunglasses.
Heck, I don't even leave my defaultia home without a flashlight (you'd be amazed how bad the emergency lighting is in some of those rented office buildings). But I was thinking specifically about a headlamp (those headbands with a light on the front), as in I might need both hands in the porta-pottie for "business" and wouldn't have a hand to spare to hold my usual maglight.

Your recommendations sound almost exactly like the way I'm equipped when I'm camping and fishing in the Canadian wilderness; it's a little wetter there, so the fannypack list is slightly different, but most items are common to both (bathroom consumables, minor munchies, sun protection, and illumination).

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm

I wear a small LED flashlight on a lanyard around my neck.

I shines on where I'm walking and doesn't blind whoever I'm talking to.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

spewey
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: L'il Orphan Annex

Post by spewey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:06 am

To step out of the potty and move back to volunteering for a moment....

By what point do most volunteer coordinators make decisions on whether or not to use someone. My partner and I submitted our volunteer questionnaires a day or two after the ticket sale (me for Census, she for Earth Guardians). She got an autoreply email; I have heard nothing. Should we assume they just needed veterans?

I don't see a way to update the volunteer application, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks, you can resume the potty talk.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than it might appear to others that what you were or what you might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." ~ Lewis Carroll

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 am

Most Volunteer Coordinators are Volunteers also, are not sitting by their home computers 24/7 and may only check their in box once a week.

Thus, some VC's do not respond to changes in Volunteer Profiles as quickly as others.

Also, make sure that you click on Participate and complete your Volunteer Questionnaire. What you indicate in your Volunteer Questionnaire is what directs your interests to the specific VC's.

Also, you might look to see if you can find the venue on the BM website and try communicating directly with them. This might help speed things along....?

Keep after them. We are all human and with our own frailties and disabilities -- just like you.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

spewey
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: L'il Orphan Annex

Post by spewey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I certainly had no expectations of anyone sitting by a screen scanning every day for emails from us.

But after nine or ten weeks and no response, perhaps we should try to offer ourselves somewhere else. But the volunteer form instructions indicate that "at this time you cannot edit this survey once it is completed."

If we don't hear from anyone before we leave in a few weeks (we will be traveling a few weeks before reaching BRC), we'll check in at the V-desk at Centre Camp. No real issue other than not being as prepared as we could be for possible duties.

But thanks, and congrats on having your team off to a good start.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than it might appear to others that what you were or what you might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." ~ Lewis Carroll

Blueschaser
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Elliot's Bike Service

Post by Blueschaser » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Glitches happen in the volunteer process....had to submit same form 3 times before Gate could confirm my application. Then once on playa had to input all of their info all over again. All this while prime shift selections were disappearing by the day. Typically, I'd have said "F this----they can't get their act together". But my girlfriend was already on shift rosters. It all worked out.

Soooo>>>>>when will Gate open shift selection this year? They seem to be tardy compared to other depts.
"I wash with gasoline, and then I play with fire.">>>>Lil' Ed

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Blueschaser,

True. You cannot edit.

But, you can go back in, start all over and complete it again which over rides the first one.

---------------------------------

If you have a mind to volunteer at the Airport, I can guarantee that you will receive and Welcome Letter that day or possibly within hours.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”