Status of department volunteer acceptance?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Status of department volunteer acceptance?

Post by mooserider » Mon May 18, 2015 7:53 am

Greetings, all.

Just wondering how the various volunteer departments are doing regarding staffing up. I heard from one department lead for one of the departments I volunteered for a couple months ago, answered her, and haven't heard any more. So I'm curious if they just aren't finished working out their staffing, or whether I wasn't needed for those particular departments I volunteered for.

Does anybody know the approximate staffing-done dates for the departments who select their staff prior to the actual event (ESD, DPW, etc.)? Which departments have already closed their volunteer intakes (in case I need to find somewhere else to volunteer my talents and skills)? Or when will they close them if not already closed?

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Re: Status of department volunteer acceptance?

Post by digital » Mon May 18, 2015 8:05 am

I believe it's department specific. But, to the best of my knowledge, most are just gearing up to start taking volunteers.

Our department, an offshoot of DPW, staffed the ranks back in February. This is a unique group though. Contact department leads to see what their timeline is for this year.

Good luck!

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Mon May 18, 2015 8:13 am

digital wrote:I believe it's department specific. But, to the best of my knowledge, most are just gearing up to start taking volunteers.
I figured as much. But I was hoping that department leads might see my post, answer for their respective departments, and perhaps stop a flood of annoying individual e-mails asking the same question over and over and over again.... :roll:
digital wrote:Our department, an offshoot of DPW, staffed the ranks back in February. This is a unique group though. Contact department leads to see what their timeline is for this year.

Good luck!
Thanks.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

The volunteer slots at the Airport are already available on Shiftboard. As of noon Sunday, over 100 slots were filled and more than that are still available.

If you are interesting in volunteering at the Airport where there is lively action all day, re-submit your Volunteer Profile to indicate Airport and either Mile High or Slapshot will get back with you.

The Know-It-All (information booth) needs volunteers. If you like to tell folks where to go, this is a great job to have. Training will be supplied; you might possibly snag a gifted scenic flight over the city and be allowed to ride the Sparkle Ponies.....
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am

Meat Hunter wrote:If you are interesting in volunteering at the Airport where there is lively action all day, re-submit your Volunteer Profile to indicate Airport and either Mile High or Slapshot will get back with you.
Just tried updating my volunteer questionnaire, and I still get the error message to wait until May 20th. Will try again on Wednesday....
Meat Hunter wrote:The Know-It-All (information booth) needs volunteers. If you like to tell folks where to go, this is a great job to have. Training will be supplied; you might possibly snag a gifted scenic flight over the city and be allowed to ride the Sparkle Ponies.....
Ride the sparkle ponies? This, I have to see. Yee-ha! :lol:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 18, 2015 9:10 am

Yes. Not to overstate the obvious, but make sure you have filled out the volunteer form on your Burning Man Profile. That's pretty much all that's necessary and you will start receiving notifications when the departments are ready.

And thinking that posting here will get to any department heads is folly. There are some on here, but many more not. Robidobs is always looking for volunteers for the Potty Project, she's a regular here, hit her up.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 am

Elderberry wrote:And thinking that posting here will get to any department heads is folly. There are some on here, but many more not. Robidobs is always looking for volunteers for the Potty Project, she's a regular here, hit her up.
Oh, well, I thought it might be worth trying, if they are trying to avoid hundreds of redundant e-mails from all the individuals like me trying to find out. :-) Anybody want to drop them a hint? Or is that sort of info posted anywhere on the main BurningMan.org website?

Already e-mailed and posted to Robbidobbs, so I'll at least be volunteering for that.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 am

apavlin wrote:Oh, well, I thought it might be worth trying, if they are trying to avoid hundreds of redundant e-mails from all the individuals like me trying to find out. :-) Anybody want to drop them a hint? Or is that sort of info posted anywhere on the main BurningMan.org website?
What kind of hint? That you are anxious and needs answers now! Be patient. Get on the mailing lists. They will announce opportunities when they are ready. ;)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 am

Here's a hint... and answer. As others have indicated, volunteering is department or team-specific. Since you have since been in contact with someone on that team, the appropriate person to follow up with would be that individual. Otherwise, you'd either look up that department/team's email address on the burningman.org site and if you can't find contact info use the contact us form that's linked at the bottom of every page on the burningman.org site.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”