Black Rock City Transit Authority? Act now!

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Black Rock City Transit Authority? Act now!

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Transit for participants in Black Rock City today breaks down into foot, bikes, catch a ride on a maybe exclusive, always overloaded MV, better be hot; or options for disabled persons, requiring advance application.

The Burning Man zeitgeist is funded by the Bay Area/NYC venture bubbles and Hollywood, and worldwide 1%ers, increasing yearly.

Bay area venture bubblers funded a top 5% private bus system, Leap. Uh oh, they went bust and their buses are for sale. Some fancy person should buy them and set up bus routes in BRC. Just the interactions among riders would be an infinite multiple of the price!

The buses could double Burner Express and stored at the ranch or rented to Reno private events.

http://www.businessinsider.com/leap-dec ... tcy-2015-9

Venture fail as BM success, would be cool.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Black Rock City Transit Authority? Act now!

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:18 pm

You can't drive an un-mutated vehicle around at BRC unless it's a staff, law enforcement, or disabled permit. And they don't issue disabled permits to busses.
So, these would have to be made into another overloaded, exclusive, better-be-hot MV in order to drive them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:You can't drive an un-mutated vehicle around at BRC unless it's a staff, law enforcement, or disabled permit. And they don't issue disabled permits to buses.
So, these would have to be made into another overloaded, exclusive, better-be-hot MV in order to drive them.

Yeah, but these are originally bus sized limos designed for elite mover and shakers who make our world better, they would then be mutated into mass transit vehicles carrying the hippie rabble of the dust. It's a metaphorical mutation thing, or whatever. The mutation starts way before reaching the playa; Go up to many a bus at a public bus stop in San Francisco, needing public transport, and -voila- the bus is a limo in disguise, not a bus for the lowly public, it's for employees...oops....associates with companies selling and shilling to the world the grift of the sharing economy.

Or just have the buses operated in BRC by a joint taskforce of the Sheriff, BLM and FBI, helping make us all safer.
Or the best option, having a fleet of exclusive, better be hot MVs to take the beautiful people off.... off somewhere.... We can decided that after the round-up.

I'm still working on my app for my chariot, with me "sharing" rides in a more up-dated, modern sense of that word. Oh, I run into some pretty fucked up desperate people looking for a ride way out on the playa late at night. My app will have the transaction take place on smart phones, money shifting out there (I wave my arm in any direction), with the illusion the payment is being made off playa. I'm gold.

And, ya know, there was no bus bringing people from Reno and SF into the heart of BRC, then there was. I got a feeling that the people connected to those tech buses might know some of the members of the Bmorg. Predictions? Yes, I know that the subway is 5 years behind schedule and millions over budget....
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Transportation provided by Death Guild

[media]

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:58 pm

None of those suggestions even made sense.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:32 pm

If you do a "Leap bus San Francisco" image search you can see what the original purpose was. Those references will disappear from search as venture funded entities disappear.

Lonesomebri

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:None of those suggestions even made sense.

Says the guy with a boat that don't float.
- Voltaire, Candide

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:04 am

Which makes perfect sense because it fits the DMV rules as a BRC mutant vehicle. Limo busses don't, unless fully mutated so as not to resemble a bus or other street vehicle.
Yep, says the guy with the fully custom built boat with no stock street vehicle under it to the guy who isn't understanding the situation about bringing these busses to BRC!

Lonesomebri

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 am

My guess is that the Burner Express concept will spread and there will be some sort of festival mass transit set up at the Burn in your life-time, though there is no doubt your MV rocks.

Now let's dissect this thread for humor, and the detection of such.......

By the way, I was camped across from the Gerlach bus stop, with non-mutated vehicles coming and going through-out the week, and picked up passengers at the Burner Express station from buses coming and going on the streets of Black Rock City. It is entirely possible for rules and regulations to change.
- Voltaire, Candide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:27 pm

How can you say that Bri? There's no humor anywhere on eplaya.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Top ten most common responses on ePlaya:

10) It's a doacracy

1) You can't do that

lol

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm

The intent was humor, and to point out, as the event gets bigger, having regular public transit for everyone, not just the beautiful, would be great!

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:25 pm

forty_eight wrote:Top ten most common responses on ePlaya:

10) It's a doacracy

1) You can't do that

lol

And of course, my favorite:

0). "You're doing it wrong!" :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:47 pm

lol, how could i forget that one? :D

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:59 pm

some seeing eye wrote:The intent was humor, and to point out, as the event gets bigger, having regular public transit for everyone, not just the beautiful, would be great!

Art car grants.

I got a big old bus and a ton of ideas. I have skills, and lots of friends with skills but I can think of ten or so thousand reason's why I haven't built that damn art car yet. Oh, one day I will. And I'll let everyone ride it.

Well.. Mostly everyone.. :twisted:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:57 pm

some seeing eye wrote:The intent was humor, and to point out, as the event gets bigger, having regular public transit for everyone, not just the beautiful, would be great!

Humor? HUMOR!? Why are you bringing in humor? There's no room for that on this board, young man!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Postby sparr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:12 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:You can't drive an un-mutated vehicle around at BRC unless it's a staff, law enforcement, or disabled permit. And they don't issue disabled permits to busses.
A "better" "artist" than me could definitely argue that an unmodified public transit bus running around the playa IS art. Like that guy with the fancy rental car this year (although he snuck in under the disability rules).
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:30 am

bottom line from a DMV hottie: If it is STILL street legal/has a license plate, it is not a mutated vehicle.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:17 pm

sparr wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:You can't drive an un-mutated vehicle around at BRC unless it's a staff, law enforcement, or disabled permit. And they don't issue disabled permits to busses.
A "better" "artist" than me could definitely argue that an unmodified public transit bus running around the playa IS art. Like that guy with the fancy rental car this year (although he snuck in under the disability rules).

It would take one hell of an artist/attorney to successfully make that argument.
The DMV doesn't judge what is art. They grant licenses based on whether the vehicle meets the given criteria as a Mutant Vehicle. Unmodified, recognizable street vehicles are specifically NOT Mutant Vehicles as defined by BRCDMV.
Disabled permit vehicLes aren't art cars. That's a completely irrelevant matter. There's no mutation requirement for a disabled permit vehicle.
And no, a bus isn't gonna get a disabled permit.

sparr

Postby sparr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Unmodified, recognizable street vehicles are specifically NOT Mutant Vehicles as defined by BRCDMV.
(emphasis added)

Maybe this is our in? Start with a streetcar (that is, very-light rail vehicle). I wonder, if you replace the rail wheels on a light streetcar with big truck wheels, and add some sort of steering, how would it handle on the nice flat playa? The turning radius would be monstrous, but that's ok if it's just following the roads, right?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:09 pm

EspressoDude: I know of 2 street legal Mutant Vehicles. One is the Golden Mean, the metal snail built on a 66 VW chassis; the other is Empire, the space voyager.

Golden Mean drives around the streets of Oakland regularly (sans propane poofers 8) ); she is the preferred 'parade car' for the current mayor.
Empire is built on a Box Truck chassis and requires some on-playa mods upon arrival to complete.

Both are the brainchildren of Jon Sarriugarte and Kyrsten Mate, of Kraftworks Studio in Oakland.

I'm aware that these are exceptional examples of moving art, but they do exist.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

mooserider
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:02 pm

Hey, what about the Jankytown bus? It's mutated, but it's still street legal and had a license plate. It better be, because it was in line in front of me at the commercial tire place in Sparks after Burning Man, moving under its own power (not a tow truck), when we were both getting our tires fixed.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”