2016 Black Rock City Airport -- Volunteers Needed

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

2016 Black Rock City Airport -- Volunteers Needed

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 pm

I have just been appointed as the Deputy Volunteer Coordinator for the Black Rock City Municipal Airport (BRCMA).

If anyone who is a pilot or who is not a pilot (most of our volunteers are not pilots) would like to know more about the many fun and some very serious (but still fun) volunteer jobs at our great airport and would like to know more about the types of volunteer jobs that will be available this year, please send me an e-mail.

BRCMA is a fully functioning airport with over 240 aircraft, 2 ea. 6,000 foot runways and two heliports, and the second official event gate where over 3,000 people entered and exited via the Black Rock City Municipal Airport last year. Some days, it is the busiest Airport in the State of Nevada. Some also speculate that number of burners passing through the BRCMA gate will increase by 20+% this year and more volunteers (of all interest and skill levels) will be needed to make this happen. This number of folks will not be clogging the roads and for those entering in automobiles, their wait times on the highway cannot but helped to be shortened.

No matter which job(s) you select, you can be guaranteed that it will be fast moving and above all, you will have one fine ol' time. There are a good number of awards that are based on volunteer hours, the least of these is being permitted to ride the Sparkle Ponies, making dust angles and the ringing of the bell. I have been informed that the Sparkle Ponies have new livery for this year which will make your riding experience an experience one that will not be soon forgotten.

Many folks choose to camp at the airport and some say that the toilets are cleaner and they seldom if ever run out of paper. If noise is a concern, you will notice an absence of sound trucks coming my during the middle of the night. No special arrangements need to be made to camp at the airport and there is no associated cost of fees. Just drive out 5tj street extension and find a nice place that suits your needs and set-up.

Send me an e-mail and I will get right back to you so we can discuss what fun and what serious jobs that might be the best fit for you, how you can sign-up pre-event.

Be seeing you in the dust.
Meat Hunter

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2016 Black Rock City Airport -- Volunteers Needed

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey Meathunter, The airport is a great place to hang out so I know it would be fun to work there. It's not as far away as I originally thought. It's a good place for the first time volunteers too. The smaller base community makes you welcome and comfortable. I've been Greeting for 5 years and I know about 10 Greeters, (out of the thousand that Greet.) I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

bitsychi
Burning Since: 2015

Post by bitsychi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:40 am

E-mail sent- volunteering at the airport was on my wish list for this year, had a great time out there last year! Hope we can connect!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:43 am

I don't know how my health will be this year, but I hope I can pick up a shift while on playa.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:59 am

AntiM,

I cannot figure out how to us the e-playa PM function (only the EMail function).

Please send me an EMail and I will get you set-up in the Airport Volunteer System complete with introductory letter and you will be on your way to having one crazy time when the herd of 2,500-3,000 Burners begin arriving and departing through the Airport gate.

Best,
-- Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:01 am

bits,

Good to hear from you. I received you e-mail and I have replied.

Best,
Meat Hunter

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 am

Email sent!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Leap,

I have responded to so many e-playa and other airport related e-mails today. I did not see one from a "Leap", so I hope that I responded to yours.

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:23 pm

How do people generally get from the airport to their camp? I would be willing to devote a shift using my art car "The Playa Cattle Hauler" to ferry folks. It can haul 2-4 people and gear as long as they don't have too much. You can see it here:

It also has aa handicap ramp built into it if one is needed.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Dr. Helix,

Of the ~2,400 Burners who arrive and depart the city via. the airport, almost all of the Burners "that I have seen" arriving at the airport have camping arrangements already made with other camps somewhere in the city or whatever and from what I have observed almost all have already made some type of arrangements for transportation from the airport to the city.

However, there are arriving Burners who are looking for a ride into the city who have no clue that they must depend on their own wits. The catches are that over the week long event, they do not arrive at the same time and no one knows in advance who they are or when they will arrive.

Since there is no scheduled transportation from the airport to the city, my guess is that if you were to make a pass by the airport that there will most probably be someone(s) who will take you up on a ride into the city. I suspect that if you would like to start a scheduled shuttle service.......
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm

+1 Dr Helix!

I would heartily recommend volunteering at the BRC Intergalactic Spaceport. That's where aliens land! From the stars and space! BM-X Files.

Seriously, it is a smaller burning man department group to volunteer with, supportive, and a lot of fun!

But like all BM departments, if you sign up for a time, don't be kidnapped by playa time bandits and miss your shift!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:29 am

Meat Hunter wrote:AntiM,

I cannot figure out how to us the e-playa PM function (only the EMail function).

Please send me an EMail and I will get you set-up in the Airport Volunteer System complete with introductory letter and you will be on your way to having one crazy time when the herd of 2,500-3,000 Burners begin arriving and departing through the Airport gate.

Best,
-- Meat Hunter
Email sent. Now I have to go look and see if I enabled my email, I've had it off for privacy from nutjobs for a few years.

As for the PMs, there is a PM icon next to the email icon under your avatar. Click on it and it puts you into the PM for that person's post. To view it in general, the link is in the line below "board Index" ....
User Control Panel (0 new messages)
. Sent PMs remain in your inbox until viewed by the recipient, that confuses people. I hope this helps if you want to use it in the future.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 am

Sent PMs remain in your inbox until viewed by the recipient, that confuses people.
Thanks AntiM. I've oft times wondered why it didn't 'go' immediately. OK, I've learned something already. Can I sleep the rest of the day?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:05 pm

I believe that I have gotten back with everyone who has contacted me so far regarding volunteering at the Black Rock City Airport.

If have missed replying to anyone, please send me an e-mail and I will get you set-up for getting into the airport volunteer system.

If you are still thinking about volunteering at the airport, not to worry. Shiftboard is still a few months way from opening and all shifts are still open and will be available on a first come basis.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Can I do the valet parking?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Leap

Post by Leap » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:45 am

Meat Hunter wrote:Leap,

I have responded to so many e-playa and other airport related e-mails today. I did not see one from a "Leap", so I hope that I responded to yours.
Just sent an email to connect my username.

smiffman

Post by smiffman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:45 am

If I get a ticket then count me in, sticker/vinyl heads unite.

okneel76
Burning Since: 2000

Post by okneel76 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:33 pm

:D I received my email regarding new leadership. I'm very excited to return with a newbie. I volunteered in 2013. Missed the last two burns due to my money's health and I had a kick-ass surgery in October last year. I'm all good now.

Sunshine AKA Mary reporting for business.

See u in Brooklyn, (my euphemism for the main epicenter of BRC/Manhattan vs. the Airport/Brooklyn)!
Lady Mary :.:.:2000:.:.:2007:.:.:2011:.:.:2013

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:51 pm

okneel,

If you have not done so recently, please log into your Volunteer Profile and indicate "airport" as a place that you would like to volunteer.

If this is the first time that you have indicated the "airport' on your Volunteer Profile, you will receive a Welcome Letter.

If you have indicated the "airport" in a previous year, by re-indicating "airport" this will assure that you will receive current Airport Volunteer notices.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Now that the main ticket sale is over, it seemed appropriate to give this thread a bump.

There are so many fun volunteer jobs at the airport and you never know who will be coming in via. the airport gate.

If you are interested in volunteering at the Black Rock City Airport, open you Burner Profile, then open your Volunteer Profile and finally select Airport as a place that you would like to volunteer.

Very shortly you will receive a Welcome Letter with more details.

Meat Hunter

Video - Burning Man Airport :: Love Project -- Volunteer

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun May 29, 2016 11:07 am

For any Burners who have ever wondered about or thought about volunteering at the Black Rock City Airport, below is a link to a video that you might like to take a look at.

If you are interested in volunteering at the Black Rock City Airport this year, shoot me an e-mail and I will point you in the right direction.

Video - Burning Man Airport :: Love Project

marcelfee

Re: Video - Burning Man Airport :: Love Project -- Volunteer

Post by marcelfee » Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 am

Nice video!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:32 pm

The Airport Shiftboard schedule opens Saturday, 6/4 at 0900 PDT sharp!

-----------------------

For those of you who have indicated an interest in volunteering at the Airport this year; a word to the wise --

A good number of the volunteer slots at the Airport are considered choice jobs, are sought after and are filled very quickly. But, they are open to all and on a First Come -- First Filled basis.

By choice I mean time and day of the week. All the jobs are fun and engage thousands of arriving and departing Burners.

Over the years, I have worked just about all of them and I have not found a job that I did not like, did not like me or one that I did not have a great time doing.

Wear whatever you wish or wear nothing a'tall and you will be in good company.

Meat Hunter

WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING ON YOU TO SHOW UP ----

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm

WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING ON YOU TO SHOW UP ----

The 2016 Black Rock City Airport (88NV) Shiftboard is up and running and it is volunteers like yourself that makes it happen year after year.

The Airport is the 2nd Official Gate of Burning Man and between 3,000 and 5,000 Burners will arrive and depart through the airport gate this year. We need YOU and 449+ more volunteers just like YOU to make it all happen!

Volunteers just like YOU are what make the airport.

WHERE DO YOU BEGIN? - SILLY ME, AT THE BEGINNING OF COURSE
If you have never visited 88NV Black Rock City Airport, you may want to check out our website: http://airport.burningman.org

If you are interested in Volunteering at the airport, open your Volunteer Profile, click on Participate, open Volunteer Questionnaire and indicate that you are interested in volunteering at the Airport.

In a moment, you will receive a GUARANTEED & OFFICIAL Welcome Letter from the airport.

-----------------------

Please Note: All the Airport Sparkle Ponies have new livery this year and it is time for you to climb on board for the ride of your life.

Leap

Re: WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING ON YOU TO SHOW UP ----

Post by Leap » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 am

I snagged two Interceptor shifts!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:37 am

Leap,

Good for you. In a few days, all those other Interceptor slots will be filled.

I have worked that position before and it is a fun (and can be a very fast moving) job.

At last count, there are more than 900 possible volunteer positions at the airport with some slots beginning at 5:45 am and some slots ending at 7:30 pm.

For two little once-a-year 7,000 ft dirt runways way out in the middle desert, the airport is a very busy place with a lot of people involved. And, few Burners even know that it exists.

Things can occasionally slow down and then the naked skydivers come through and the fire dancers appear out of no where.

Raoul
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:10 am

Grabbed my first every airport volunteer spot as a Customs Inspector on Monday afternoon after the gate opens. Very excited! :D
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

Meat Hunter

Shiftboard Basics -- Volunteer Now

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 am

Shiftboard Basics -- Volunteer Now

Below is a quick tutorial regarding how to get started signing up for your Volunteer slots on Shiftboard.

This tutorial is pretty much applicable to most any Shiftboard BM function that you might be interested in Volunteering with.

If you have specific questions regarding the Volunteer opportunities that you are interested in, see if you can locate that venue on the Burning Man web site and contact them for information unique to that particular venue.

Moxie1
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Shiftboard Basics -- Volunteer Now

Post by Moxie1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Thank you for posting this! Dusty Hugs!

Meat Hunter

10,000 Burners Arriving via the Airport Gate ----

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:27 am

Saturday, I was involved in a teleconference that had some ORG Leadership in attendance.

Mostly it was just Airport house keeping stuff.

However, two items that did catch my attention; This year, it is expected that between 3,000 and 5,000 Burners will be flying into the event and the goal in the next couple of years to have more than 10,000 Burners arrive via the Airport gate.

With the new Burner Air Express and the much more affordable price for seats on these larger aircraft, 10,000 seems like a reasonable expectation. $265 from Reno to the playa now becomes a real option for many Burners traveling either flying into Reno and passing though Reno in a vehicle.
https://burnerexpress.burningman.org

For those who poo-pood arriving by charter as being a being Rich Folks Only way to arrive and having no impact on the road traffic,; 10,000 people off the road in front of you should make some impact on shorting the line in front of you.

Since I fly into Reno from Mississippi (if I did not already have my travel plans in place) I would be taking the Burner Air Express from Reno to the playa this year. And, next year for sure.

If you are looking for a place to volunteer this year, shoot me an e-mail and I will give the scoop on how to volunteer at the Black Rock City Airport. The slots are filling pretty fast right now so there must be something about volunteering at the Airport that is attractive.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”